Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Another Gut-wrenching, Disappointing Loss...

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5
Pillar of the Community
United States
1531 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2017  7:09 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Cruisinfusion to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm new to eBay selling, but I've listed a few coins over the last few weeks, that are solid coins and dates... But I'm underselling by hundreds of dollars. My coins are going for half or a third of the prices that they should be, and it's honestly depressing me. It's almost all losses and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/11233099169....m1559.l2649

This 20c piece just ended and sold at lowball price... It's just painful... I was expecting so much more than this, and it's ridiculous. I've never seen one go for $50 that's not damaged.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/11232615882....m1559.l2649

This Trade dollar sold for under $100, and the only problems are some nicks on the rim...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/11231948909....m1559.l2649

This Draped bust cent sold for 27 dollars. 27 dollars!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/11231943354....m1559.l2649

AU or low MS key date Washington quarter sold for way under its normal price...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/11231925902....m1559.l2649

Again, key date barber. Loss.

So please, CCF... Come to my rescue. What am I doing wrong? I'm tempted to give up on eBay entirely.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9232 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2017  7:18 pm  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin market is weak and you must have a starting bid (or reserve) near your acceptable minimum sales price. Don't give your coins away, the market will improve at some point and there are ways to protect yourself in the meantime. Try to learn from this and don't beat yourself up.

P.S. The 20c piece is damaged and the Trade dollar is harshly cleaned. Try to get some help assessing your coins before selling.
ANA #R3154474
Edited by BH1964
03/17/2017 7:22 pm
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
20192 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2017  7:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I looked at the first one and unfortunately your title is terrible.

1. No one searches Unusual Denomination!. Big waste of space.

2. TONS search silver, not there.

3. TONS search Seated Liberty, not there.

These three alone would have gotten you a lot more looks.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3563 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2017  7:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I concur with the thoughts of BH1964.

I don't know how you're valuing these mostly problem coins. Having bought and sold coins for many decades, IMHO, you got realistic, collector buy prices on all those listings; perhaps, with the exception of the 1803 cent. Having to pay the exorbitant fees though is frustrating.

Consider cutting out eBay and try selling at a local club or auction. Another thought is to try the CCF meber sales option.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1531 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2017  7:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cruisinfusion to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
BH, the Trade dollar isn't cleaned. I guess the photos made it look that way, which in turn caused it not to sell. The surfaces are fine and it was slabbed by PCGS at one point.

Thanks for the inputs guys. I'll take your advice.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42728 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2017  7:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To my eye, your coins sold at reasonable prices. What you paid is not relevant. Agree the 20 cent piece and Trade dollar are problem coins - you take what you get for damaged goods, never a good investment. With respect, you should have thought about this likelihood when you bought these coins. The rest, uncertified, sold at typical prices. Rethink your approach.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1531 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2017  7:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cruisinfusion to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the input fellas. I appreciate it. These coins were all paid for many years ago and have been in my collection for quite some time, so I'm not exactly losing money, but I wasn't getting the prices I was expecting. My expectations are too high, I suppose.

I think I'll send whatever coins to a TPG before selling them, because that will likely be worth the cost because of the premiums they bring.
Pillar of the Community
United States
519 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2017  7:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add yakimaboy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, I also see you only have 3 feedbacks. That would be something that would prevent me from bidding on your lots. Nothing personal, but I like to feel that the seller has been around for awhile, although of course, you can get the shaft from someone with thousands of feedback as well.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8251 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2017  7:56 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another point is that you have low feedback. I would be trying to build up my positive reputation by selling less valuable coins first. Personally, I breeze over low feedback sellers listings. You do not stand out to be a risky seller though. I would buy from you knowing you are a member here.
Sometimes one can find a good deal just because others pass up less established sellers.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Pillar of the Community
United States
663 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2017  8:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mike1487 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Selling on eBay can be difficult as well as frustrating. I had near a thousand feedback and still wouldn't get strong bids. Having that little feedback score will hurt. Sellers with tens of thousands of feedback will always get premiums for their coins, even if they are cleaned pieces of crap, which I've seen many times. The best thing to do is have your listings end on Sunday nights, primetime. Include keywords that people are likely to search for, check out keywords from other similar items that have gotten strong bids. I also moved away from starting everything at 99 cents and instead ask the minimum I will take, unless it's a really popular coin.

Your realized prices look fine to me, with the exception being the draped bust cent and the barber half. I feel your pain, I've been there. Take your time, selling can take a lot of effort.
Learn More...
United States
23103 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2017  8:29 pm  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If I were shopping for coins, and saw "Great Condition!" in the title, I would have been very disappointed in your Trade dollar which is NOT in "Great Condition!".

It's worn, damaged in two places (one large), dirty, nicked and scratched up, and has a weak struck area on the reverse.

Yet, you called it "Great Condition!" and "beautiful" - this makes you look dishonest.

I do commend you for taking lots of pictures, and particularly of the damaged areas. That makes you look like an honest seller.

So you are sending me mixed messages in this listing.

Suggestion, drop the Trade dollar history lesson, and the exaggeration as to the condition. Continue taking good photos. Just describe facts about the coin and leave out your opinions as to the condition.

Good luck on your future listings.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9232 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2017  8:44 pm  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
BH, the Trade dollar isn't cleaned. I guess the photos made it look that way, which in turn caused it not to sell. The surfaces are fine and it was slabbed by PCGS at one point.

It could not have been in a problem-free holder. As nss-52 noted the Trade dollar has many problems and is in damaged condition, not great condition. The improper cleaning is obvious in all the images and $91 is actually fair market retail.

It appears that part of the problem is you are overvaluing and/or overpaying for coins then trying to re-sell them into a tough market. As others have noted your very low feedback score does not help either. It's always tough to sell raw, problematic coins and these days you are not going to do well as you found out.
ANA #R3154474
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12771 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2017  8:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The two biggest mistakes are selling them raw and doing no reserve true auctions. Those two things combined will result in things selling for pennies on the dollar on eBay especially from a new seller who isn't a major dealer. BIN listings if they were graded and you likely would have done much better
Fire A.J. Preller
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8303 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2017  9:05 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with the above, I prefer to sell through CCF at a fixed price/best offer, my clubs or dealer want lists, eBay is a last resort for me for anything other than dumping bullion, culls, etc. If I have something super-nice I wanted to sell I would probably consign it through Heritage since they are local to me, although I've heard a lot of good things about Great Collections. Seems the only way to make money on eBay these days selling coins (without being dishonest) is to post them at greatly inflated BIN prices and let them sit there until someone clicks the button or you get a Best Offer that's not a complete joke.

Speaking only for me - with VERY few exceptions - I will not buy raw coins over $40 from eBay sellers under 500 100% feedback, and I will not buy raw coins over $10 from eBay sellers under 50 100% feedback, and I will not buy anything at all from sellers with less than 25 100% feedback. Other things that will cause me to hit the back button instead of the bid button include inflated shipping costs, failure to combine shipping for multiple wins, no-returns policies, bad pictures, recent negs/neutrals, retaliatory feedback, and "handling time."

Another option, although I do not use it, is to have a local dealer sell on consignment for you.
Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3058 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2017  10:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinlover1899 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am In God We Trust Coins and Currency, and I go to most coin shows, but I do 90% of my sales on eBay. When I first started out, I auctioned everything, I thought that Buy It Nows were stupid, and no one would ever look at them. Boy was I wrong. You have a choice of how much you want to sell it for, and it seems you always get more for the coins/currency on buy it now.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10363 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2017  11:29 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I would be trying to build up my positive reputation by selling less valuable coins first.

That's what I was thinking after looking at the listings and I think it's excellent advice. Get a feel for what works and what doesn't selling low value coins, lots, etc.

When searching eBay lately, I'm personally most attracted to BIN listings with Best Offer.

Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum.
-Lucretius
"Just because you're paranoid don't mean they're not after you."
-Kurdt Kobain
My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.19 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05