Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1859 J16 D Die States ?

Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1427 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2017  11:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add canadian-varieties to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Die crack to leaf 14

Pillar of the Community
United States
763 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2017  06:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
CV, after checking over your obverse and comparing letters, I am convinced it is obverse 57. The repunching on VICTORIA, especially the bottom of the R is not like any other obverse.

I've also checked through the possible known reverses and I don't find any matches. I believe at this point your coin is a new J reverse. All of the important features of this reverse (repunched 5, stem to leaf 9, loop 2) are close to J16d, but slightly different in every case. Even the fine die crack at leaf 14 could be the start of the J16d crack. But as MG pointed out there appears to be a fine crack at leaf 12 also, which couldn't be there on J16d. I'll keep checking, but I'd say it's probably a new one!

This thread has taken a detour from the original topic, but I still would love to see some other J16d die states if anyone has some to post.
Edited by Phil310
04/07/2017 06:43 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
582 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2017  07:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add viper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a side by side photo of my cent to the left and CV'S cent to the right...

the five's are totally different.

Not the same reverse at all. A new die rev. in my opinion.

MG

]
Edited by viper
04/07/2017 08:17 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
763 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2017  08:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lots of nice die clashes visible on your reverse MG!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3234 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2017  09:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DEVLEC to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful examples above,..and yes totally different.

I don't have an example to compare with though..but thanks for sharing these beauties with us..
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1466 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2017  09:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just finished going through my 1859's I don't have one of these either I checked on the Haxby site for the 5 but I can't seem to find it either
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2840 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2017  10:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll look at mine. I have 10-15 DP'd 5's, but I have no idea about what Haxby #'s that they will be.

BTW, I wouldn't be too hasty to call this a new Rev ... CV's example looks like a partially filled die with the vertical part of the 5, making it look thicker and straighter. The other is a much sharper, better defined 5/5 but, if you blurr out the clearly evident 2 strikes, they aren't that much different ... especially when you have the D/C at 14. I'm just amazed that CV's graded 63 with the marks and cleaned-up old minor corrosion.... the digits appear to be much more worn that MG's example.

The problem with examining overpunches is that you can never tell which was the first and which was the 2nd blow/punch. The D/C at 14 really mystifies me by comparing the 2 of them.
Edited by okiecoiner
04/07/2017 10:33 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1427 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2017  3:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add canadian-varieties to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
CV-J16d-Coin02

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1427 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2017  3:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add canadian-varieties to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
CV-J16d-Coin03:

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1427 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2017  3:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add canadian-varieties to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
CV-J16d-Coin01 seems to be the earliest die state (no die crack at base of leaf 9).

CV-J16d-Coin03 seems to be the next stage with a faint semicircular die crack around base of leaf 9 (the 5/5 is similar to Coin01).

CV-J16d-Coin02 seems to be a later die state with a distinct semicircular die crack around base of leaf 9 but the 5 looks different.

Is it at all POSSIBLE that the 5 was repunched a second time at a later die state of the J16d and that's why the 5s look different between the "earlier states" and "later states"?

Viper's coin is the next stage after CV-J16d-Coin02.

Phil's coin is a much later stage.
Edited by canadian-varieties
04/07/2017 6:05 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
763 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2017  6:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the Photos CV! They will be very helpful. Looks like the die crack at leaf 9 was the first to appear.

Your last two are definitely J16d. I still think the first one is a new die.

Take a close look at the stem to leaf 9. It has a bend downward just before it enters the leaf on the J16d. On the first coin you posted the stem has a more steady curve as it enters the leaf.

All of the obverse 77's paired with J16d are from a state with a heavier crack at the top of the R of REGINA. The Obverse 77 paired with your first coin has just the slightest trace of that die crack indicating it was probably paired with 77 earlier than J16d with one or two other reverses between it and the J16d.

Also If the die crack at leaf 9 was the first to appear on J16d, your first coin has a crack at 14 and what appears to be a very fine crack at 12, but no crack at 9.

Can you give us a closeup picture of the 9 on your first coin? It looks like it may have a slight repunch at the top right.
Edited by Phil310
04/07/2017 6:48 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1427 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2017  7:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add canadian-varieties to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Phil310...I think you're right.

Here are close-ups of the 59 with the mildly repunched 9.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1427 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2017  7:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add canadian-varieties to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Close-up of Leaf 9

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1427 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2017  7:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add canadian-varieties to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Close-up of Die crack at leaf 12

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1427 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2017  7:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add canadian-varieties to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Close-up of Die Crack at leaf 14

Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.72 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05