Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

When to leave feedback on a transaction?  

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community

United States
1000 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2017  9:21 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Druu to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Obviously, as a buyer, you want to wait until you get the item purchased so you can verify that it is the item you bought, and that it is in the condition you expect it to be.

I would like your opinions on this from a seller's perspective. As a buyer, I've dealt with sellers who leave feedback immediately, and sellers who wait for a buyer's feedback. I ask because I've got 14 outstanding transactions as a seller where I have not received or left feedback. (Admittedly, two or three of those are still in the shipping process.)

Perhaps too worried about getting a negative, I was waiting for the buyers to leave feedback before I reciprocated. If I don't hear from them, I figure I'll wait until eBay's 30 days after delivery to leave feedback so they can't stealthily ask for a return at the end of the eBay buyer protection time frame. Thoughts?
Edited by Druu
04/20/2017 9:50 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3285 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2017  9:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
With the way eBay's Feedback works the Buyer's only obligation is to pay for the item they purchased. They are not required to leave any feedback. You, as the Seller, are not obligated to leave any feedback, either.

HOWEVER, I have found in my many, many eBay transactions that buyers expect you (as a seller) to leave feedback for them. So, with that in mind, I leave feedback once the buyer pays and the item is shipped. I just get it over with and try to keep everybody happy. If they leave feedback for me that's fine, if they don't then that's fine too.

In the rare instance when a buyer becomes "difficult" and starts causing problems, I just use the "followup feedback" link to get in my two cents.
Valued Member
United States
68 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2017  9:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KevininFLAâ„¢ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I leave feedback after shipping.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1414 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2017  10:09 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
feedback should be left after the item has been paid for and shipped..after that you have no control of what happens..and you can't leave negative or neutral feedback for a buyer anyway.. so it is best to leave them positive feedback immediately.. because as a seller you have no recourse to poor feedback..you can only do damage control after the fact..
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4096 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2017  10:59 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm glad you asked.

Of the last 82 items I've sold (going back to late February) and of those delivered, 52 buyers have NOT left feedback.

Up until a certain time, I wait for the buyer to leave feedback and then I leave feedback. I check it everyday to see what is left and return the favor immediately.

After a time, though, (say three weeks) I'll create a generic message about leaving feedback, leave the buyers feedback and message them asking them to leave positive feedback. I can usually get a handful of them to respond. Inevitably, there's one or two that will just message me with feedback and not actually leave it through the listing.

I take what I can get but my feedback rating would probably be 50% higher or more if buyers were as consistent as sellers in this area! Of course, I always leave feedback for sellers and am pretty lenient (like being nice to servers because you sympathize).
"When you make the finding yourself - even if you're the last person on Earth to see the light - you'll never forget it."
-Carl Sagan

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1859 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2017  12:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Edited by pepactonius
04/21/2017 12:00 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1000 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2017  12:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Druu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Whenever I see that a buyer has left me feedback, I reciprocate immediately. Longest delay might be eight hours if they caught me just as I get to bed.

I'm nearing the point where I'll just leave feedback since the time is almost up. My concern is that a few of these listings are seeds, and if not all of them germinate, I get hit with a negative. Maybe I'll do a generic message as well. I was able to get one guy to leave me feedback because he was a repeat customer that made a best offer -- I accepted the offer and nudged him towards the feedback. I may not wait on him a second time, I'll go first. He bought three listings each time. I just wish they counted three times.

It's taken me almost three months of selling to get the ten seller feedback to have star ratings. I'd have more than double if the people that received their items left feedback too!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4096 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2017  01:09 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
My concern is that a few of these listings are seeds, and if not all of them germinate, I get hit with a negative.

If you do, then the buyer knows nothing about seeds. There's nothing you can do about it but, most people reading (potential) negative feedback caused by less than 100% germination will probably say the buyer is an idiot.

Don't fret so much.

When you put yourself out there in the way of being an eBay seller, all sorts of negative things will be thrown your way and most of them mean very little in the end. So you didn't make one particular uneducated buyer 100% happy. Oh well.

@pepactonius

That's probably the most odd reply I've seen. Just a period and was edited? I'm not sure what it's meant to convey.
"When you make the finding yourself - even if you're the last person on Earth to see the light - you'll never forget it."
-Carl Sagan

Bedrock of the Community
United States
20274 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2017  04:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with westernsky.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United Kingdom
211 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2017  07:44 am  Show Profile   Check TobyJ's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TobyJ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As a seller, I leave feedback automatically as soon as the buyer has paid. I sell too many items to be manually leaving feedback. A lot of my buyers leave feedback when their item arrives, but I'd say 50% don't at all. They're not obliged to, and I'm not too worried about it now as I've built up a big feedback base.

One thing that enormously frustrates me, and it only happens occasionally, is when a buyer leaves negative feedback without even messaging me once. Its happened only once in the past year, but I think its quite possibly the most rude and exploitative thing you can do on the internet. Negative feedback severely affects a business, and it should only be left if the seller has not responded to anything or refused to solve a situation. I think its not even warranted if an item has been massively misdescribed. If you are unhappy with an item, message the seller to sort it out, and if they don't help, then by all means leave negative feedback. The only problem with eBays feedback system is that buyers can leave negative feedback to exploit the seller into refunding them or giving them a discount. Its disgusting really :) but hey what can you do?

"In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." Abraham Lincoln
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5562 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2017  08:07 am  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As a buyer, I leave feedback upon receipt and inspection of the purchase. Some sellers leave me feedback basically upon payment, some wait until I leave them feedback, some leave it at what seems like a random time after the sale, and some never leave me feedback.

As a seller, I leave feedback upon the EARLIEST of a) the buyer leaves me feedback, or b) two weeks after shipping. I have found that most buyers (that are actually going to leave feedback) leave it before two weeks after shipping or soon after I leave them feedback. On a rare occasion, a buyer will ask for feedback before they leave it for me (and before two weeks after shipping) - in which case I happily leave them feedback rather than getting in to a discourse about the subject. I have never had a "difficult" buyer (in thousands of sales).
Pillar of the Community
United States
1177 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2017  8:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Due to buyers repeatedly abusing the "buyer protection program," I made some terms and conditions for all of my items which covers this topic. They state: "I now leave feedback once the buyer has confirmed that they received their coin(s) from me via the USPS."

eBay only protects the buyers. They do nothing for the sellers. I don't push buyers to leave me feedback, as, without the ability of sellers to leave buyers negative feedback, I see feedback scores as totally meaningless now.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4096 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2017  10:55 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I haven't done a reminder message lately but I did receive feedback yesterday randomly for a sale completed on Feb. 23rd.

You never know!
-Carl Sagan

Pillar of the Community
United States
1000 Posts
 Posted 04/28/2017  10:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Druu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Update: I just learned that after 30 days, eBay will no longer prompt you to leave feedback on a transaction. For that, you really have to dig into your sale history and select the option manually. I did this for about seven transactions that were approaching the one month mark. Got one feedback. -__-
Pillar of the Community
United States
1177 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2017  8:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

One thing that enormously frustrates me, and it only happens occasionally, is when a buyer leaves negative feedback without even messaging me once. Its happened only once in the past year, but I think its quite possibly the most rude and exploitative thing you can do on the internet. Negative feedback severely affects a business, and it should only be left if the seller has not responded to anything or refused to solve a situation. I think its not even warranted if an item has been massively misdescribed. If you are unhappy with an item, message the seller to sort it out, and if they don't help, then by all means leave negative feedback. The only problem with eBays feedback system is that buyers can leave negative feedback to exploit the seller into refunding them or giving them a discount. Its disgusting really :) but hey what can you do?

I agree that this is one of the most unfair, rude, and exploitative things that can happen on the internet. You can blame Devin Wenig and the others in charge now who made the myopic decision to take away the seller's ability to leave a buyer negative feedback.

And in fact, I had something very similar happen to me as happened to you last year... the only difference is the seller did message me, but his tone was EXTREMELY threatening and confrontational - to the point were I was scared! So I never responded back to him. Instead I contacted eBay directly to file a complaint against him for harassment and abusive behavior... Long story short is he claimed the items I sent him (a roll of Jefferson nickels grading Fine-AU) did not match the images/description. An impossibility as I had scanned each individual coin in the roll (front and back) and had two images showing all 40 of them. After I scanned the coins, I put them back in the roll. And they sat on my desk until they were sold... Once sold, I mailed them, he then got them and lied, calling them "culls." eBay told me that they were going to close the case in my favor, but also issue him a refund since such a small amount was involved... I also asked at the time if they would be able to hurt me in terms of leaving negative feedback, and I was assured that he wouldn't be able to do so... well, a few days later, I get a negative from him. I spent several weeks trying to get it removed, but to no avail.

The above situation is what caused me to put in my TERMS AND CONDITIONS. I haven't had any headaches in the almost seven months since.
Edited by John77
05/03/2017 8:35 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5562 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2017  9:16 pm  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The above situation is what caused me to put in my TERMS AND CONDITIONS. I haven't had any headaches in the almost seven months since.

Oh, my! It has been a long time since I have seen TERMS AND CONDITIONS like yours.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.05 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05