Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1944 D Wheat Penny Error Or Damage?

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
4 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2017  11:04 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Kmay to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I came across some old coin rolls my husbands grandmother gave him years back that we forgot about.. I'm not a coin collector but this one stood out & I was thinking it was just damaged but the more I look it looks like a design or letters stuck to the side. Anyway most of you really seem to know yalls stuff..
So any advice would help..
hope the pics are viewable!
Thanks again!

Learn More...
United States
14160 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2017  11:08 pm  Show Profile   Check Fuzzy317's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
just PMD, looks like some started to make a gear maybe
<---- expert of nothing, student of everything. My Coin Galleries
Here is: My Want List.... to work on my: Birth Year Set

Circulating Dollar Coins ......Circulating Half Dollar Coins ...... Circulating Two Dollar Bills
Pillar of the Community
United States
2861 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2017  11:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add uruman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
nice pictures tho, but I have to agree that's PMD
Pillar of the Community
United States
2124 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2017  11:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Halo1st to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree it has a bit of unique damage. But it was done to the coin after strike. Thanks, Doug.
Second opinions are always recommended. Rookies thoughts!
Two sides to every coin. The edge makes three.
Side Note: Sometimes I feel like a nut, sometimes I don't.
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2017  12:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kmay to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yall were quick! Thanks for taking a look ! I guess that coin has just had a hard life !
Ha
Bedrock of the Community
United States
29547 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2017  06:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. I agree it is PSD. Great pics,what are you using?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
900 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2017  07:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scurry64 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your pics are phenomenal. I wish everyone's pics looked so good.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11623 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2017  07:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is what we call the ''Pie Crust phenomenon''
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Pillar of the Community
United States
564 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2017  1:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Justinokay to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Pie Crust Phenomenon

United States
4 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2017  2:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kmay to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks! I actually used my phone..i have a Note 5 and I downloaded Cozy Magnifier & Microscope app on google play.its free..and I also used a flashlight to get shadows where I needed to see some spots better!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1730 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2017  3:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dbrablec to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
yoour photos are very good...
im not sure what mint error you thought might have caused yours coins "damage"?
Rest in Peace
United States
7075 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2017  3:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Buddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just a guess, but I think it might have been pounded into some kind of spiked bezel for a good luck charm. Usually those coins have rim damage but it is smooth. They were also mass produced. This may have been part of a home-made charm.

dbrablec, the poster is not a collector so wouldn't have knowledge about the minting process.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
41508 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2017  5:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just a bit of mischief here, did it myself as a kid for no reason I can imagine.

to the CFF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3514 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2017  9:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dustin6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Many things like this were done. And still are. Another thing people do is spoon the coins
Pillar of the Community
United States
509 Posts
 Posted 08/29/2019  2:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sarge50 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Definitely not human damage? Any clue anyone?
Pillar of the Community
United States
509 Posts
 Posted 08/29/2019  2:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sarge50 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Close up?
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.06 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05