Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Keep Or Sell These 1964 Kennedy Half-Dollars?

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
417 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2017  4:51 pm  Show Profile   Check Onedollarbillnut's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Onedollarbillnut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Check the ones with mintmarks for repunched mintmarks they are worth a premium to those of us that collect them
Tim Hughes
Pillar of the Community
United States
4205 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2017  9:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Debrajc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
and....
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18723 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2017  2:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As long as they are already yours and if you don't need money right now, keep them all. Nothing to loose and someday you'll be glad you did.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3058 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2017  4:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinlover1899 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sell them and buy an old type coin!
Edited by coinlover1899
06/21/2017 4:24 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1119 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2017  10:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Steele to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Quote:
so they are just worth silver melt?

No.yes

Quote:
They are only worth melt value.

No, again. yes still.

If they were all damaged then that may be the case. These all appear to be in pretty good shape and are worth more than silver melt. That's "numismatic value." However, that value won't be much over silver value for those particular coins.

I don't want to burst your bubble but you can buy a low mint state 1964 half for the same price as an XF or lower 1964 half. They are very commonly found in dealer junk bins and you will not get any numismatic premium for a 1964 half below at least MS63 from any dealer
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10363 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2017  02:06 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Steele

Please don't edit within a quote. Make your arguments outside of that.

I have to differ and that's why I said what I did. I don't know about dealer "junk bins" (and why these would be considered junk in the first place) but on eBay, 1964 Kennedy halves in circulated condition are consistently selling for more than silver melt.

Currently, melt value is just under $6 and even in bulk lots, they are very recently selling for $7, $8 or more a piece plus shipping.

Maybe I have a different definition of numismatic value and junk silver than others.

The way I see it, all coins that were used for circulation (at least) maintain a numismatic value and only a progressive extent of damage will denude their ultimate value to a collector of whatever coins they may be.
Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum.
-Lucretius
"Just because you're paranoid don't mean they're not after you."
-Kurdt Kobain
My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Pillar of the Community
United States
2430 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2017  10:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On eBay when you buy a circulated 1964
Kennedy for $7, the seller is only getting around the melt price after paying the eBay and Pay Pal fees.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1119 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2017  10:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Steele to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
they are very recently selling for $7, $8 or more a piece plus shipping

What is a low mint state uncertified 1964 kennedy selling for on eBay?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10363 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2017  11:15 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are a few SOLD listings:

Single coin labeled as AU:

A few multi-coin lots described as Circulated or not specified:

There are many, many SOLD listings with varying quantities and varying prices. Some sold for half of melt, many sold for approximately melt, and many sold for well over melt.

My argument isn't about the value difference between grades.

There are many collectors who are not primarily interested in PM content of coins. Those who are will pay less than those who are factoring numismatic value in their purchase.

OP has expressed that he is more interested in selling, being a single 26 year old father. There is a modest difference between "only worth melt" of $36 (he shows six I believe) and $60 (with many being sold on eBay for about $10 a piece).

The market there is anything but consistent.
-Lucretius
-Kurdt Kobain
Pillar of the Community
United States
1119 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2017  12:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Steele to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Search sold listing sorted by price lowest to highest and the first 400 or more sold listings are all for under or around $8 shipped. after shipping, paypal and eBay fees the seller is lucky to see $6.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4511 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2017  12:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The joy of coin collecting weights on the Heart of a collector, if it pleases you keep them,they are after all Silver.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10363 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2017  01:01 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Search sold listing sorted by price lowest to highest and the first 400 or more sold listings are all for under or around $8 shipped.

That's exactly what I did to find those listings I posted and also went beyond that price in the sorted SOLD listings. I also said this in the last post:

Quote:
There are many, many SOLD listings with varying quantities and varying prices. Some sold for half of melt, many sold for approximately melt, and many sold for well over melt.

How many sold for more than $8 shipped?

Quote:
the seller is lucky to see $6.

Quote:
On eBay when you buy a circulated 1964
Kennedy for $7, the seller is only getting around the melt price after paying the eBay and Pay Pal fees.

My question regarding these comments is: what determines the value of a single coin in a transaction?

Is it based on net receipts of the seller or is it based on gross expenditures of the buyer?
-Lucretius
-Kurdt Kobain
Valued Member
United States
51 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2017  9:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add histman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd just hold on to any 90% coin unless they need the cash. Silver is bound to go up again at some point.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.97 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05