Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Hi, I just received this today, is this a cud, or something else 2016 SAE  

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
53 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2017  6:08 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add harley1960 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Learn More...
United States
46526 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2017  6:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Community!

I moved your post to the appropriate forum for the proper attention.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3060 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2017  6:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If raised then probably a cud. It won't help add to the value, actualy might de-value the ASE. I'd return it if you are able to.
You should always collect within your income, even if you have to borrow to do so.

Pillar of the Community
United States
9383 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2017  6:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Certainly looks like a very long cud.

Could we see photos of the entire front and back of the coin, please.
Valued Member
United States
53 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2017  6:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add harley1960 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thank you for your advice , I'm gonna return it.
Valued Member
United States
53 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2017  6:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add harley1960 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar of the Community
United States
1461 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2017  6:51 pm  Show Profile   Check matttheriley's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add matttheriley to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is pretty cool. I wouldn't return it. Plenty of collectors would pay a premium to add a proof ASE CUD to their collection, I reckon.
Check me out on eBay!
My Want List and My Trade List

Favorite Quote from Ridiculous eBay Listings: ## JUST LOOKING THIS ERROR ##
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7517 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2017  7:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF!
Valued Member
United States
53 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2017  7:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add harley1960 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
United States
53 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2017  7:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add harley1960 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
yes, it would, but how did it pass PF70,
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5666 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2017  8:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF

I'm not an expert on modern USA coinage .... but if that is truly a CUD then IMHO you have a very unusual coin indeed.

PCGS PR70 certification .... hmmmmm ... wondering if somehow your otherwise excellent photos caught something else?

Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Valued Member
United States
53 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2017  8:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add harley1960 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
yes I think it is a ''CUD'' still deciding on returning it, or do I have a 1 of a kind?
Valued Member
United States
321 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2017  8:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shotgung to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it was me, I'd flip the coin for a profit then buy another one. Just me though. Pretty cool none the less.
My goal is to climb the 7 Summits
Pillar of the Community
United States
4514 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2017  9:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cuds make up a whole area of collecting. Any legitimate error like a cud makes the coin more appealing to many. Returning it would be a loss.

Quote:
yes, it would, but how did it pass PF70

B/c the facts of the TPGs do not match up with the reputation they have been able to establish. The existence of of CAC stickers shows the masses who like slabs still want the slabbing experts checked up on. Snake oil.

My local coin shop owner is a large dealer. When I got back into the hobby I started to look into the facts behind TPGs.

He told me he consistently got back 20% of monster boxes of ASEs he would send in graded at MS70. The rest would be MS69. He started to do some researching by comparing with other large dealers. He said that the number held up across the dealers he knew. He is totally convinced the TPGs just take 20% from the boxes - randomly and grade them MS70. He does not mind TPGs though as they can bring higher profits online. He told me just to realize what they really are - a non-essential business that has established a base of followers. The invent every new way they can to get people to spend their money (different labels, online competition to get the best graded set posted and recorded on their website etc.).

He told me to start looking carefully at MS70 ASEs and it is not hard to find less than perfect coins. Yours is just another example.

By making a certain percent MS70s, the TPGs make money like the old trick of seeding a gold mine. People see them, see the hyped prices, and so a lot more people take the chance theirs might be MS70, so they pay the TPGs pay to get them slabbed.

As always, I put a disclaimer - I believe if a person likes the look of slabs, and therefore likes to collect them - all the more power to them. Slabs look nice. Hobbies are about fun. I just like to make sure people understand it is a marketing system and not a necessity. Over the years TPGs have hurt the hobby greatly by making a focus on everything but key coins - everything else is "junk silver." Sad - very sad. Everything used to have its own, individual value based on MM and mintage - it was a lot more fun.

- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
943 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2017  9:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bret to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The existence of of CAC stickers shows the masses who like slabs still want the slabbing experts checked up on. Snake oil.

4th party grading, funny.

I was at a show a couple of years ago. A guy there was peddling MAC, which is the same as CAC, but for modern coins. It's just another was to part people from their money.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9383 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  09:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Keep that coin. Errors on ASE are rare, most commonly struck through. I've collected ASE since their inception and I've never seen a cud like that.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.72 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05