Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What name do you use for US nickels produced 1883-1912? Also set updates.  

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Learn More...
United States
11248 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2017  11:38 pm Show Profile   Check Fuzzy317's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Poll Question
I am about to take pictures of my "work-in-process" collection of the US nickels produced 1883-1912, and was trying to decide on what file names I will use. I have been using and have seen several versions online & in print. I figured to poll the CCF Membership to find the general opinion.

What name do you use for US nickels produced 1883-1912?

Results
Liberty nickels 25% 12 Votes
Liberty Head Nickels 19% 9 Votes
Liberty V nickels 29% 14 Votes
Liberty Head V nickels 4% 2 Votes
other sugggestion(s) entered 23% 11 Votes

Poll Status: Locked
Total Votes: 48 Counted
Last Vote: 08/14/2017 12:29 pm
<---- expert of nothing, student of everything. My Coin Galleries
Here is: My Want List.... to work on my: Birth Year Set

Circulating Dollar Coins ......Circulating Half Dollar Coins ...... Circulating two dollar bills
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6029 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  12:13 am  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just call them V nickels. If I write about them I call them Liberty nickels or sometimes Liberty Head Nickels. In our Coin Facts link, they are listed as 1883-1913 Liberty (V) Nickel
Signature
Sign Here X _______________________
Edited by TNG
08/12/2017 12:16 am
Learn More...
United States
11248 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  12:20 am  Show Profile   Check Fuzzy317's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They also have a different name for each company that produces albums/folders.

Circulating Dollar Coins ......Circulating Half Dollar Coins ...... Circulating two dollar bills
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3236 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  12:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like the term " Liberty V nickels". Pretty much covers all the bases except for the designers name.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3454 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  12:32 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When I talk to myself, I say Liberty nickel.

That's what I voted but, I also use V nickel in my head. I'm pretty sure I've never thought or said Liberty V nickel. I think I said Liberty Head Nickel for the first time today. I was talking to my mom about coins and said, "...Liberty Nickels, or Liberty Head Nickels..."

So, I guess I can't make up my mind!
"When you make the finding yourself - even if you're the last person on Earth to see the light - you'll never forget it."
-Carl Sagan
Learn More...
United States
11248 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  12:38 am  Show Profile   Check Fuzzy317's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
So, I guess I can't make up my mind!

that is my problem, in my list of coins, I may have any of those listed. Trying to figure out what to call them.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5688 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  12:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For as long as I can remember to me (& my dad before me) they were simply " V nickels"
Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Valued Member
United States
302 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  02:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add man2004 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've always called them Libery nickels
Valued Member
United States
124 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  03:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Benja to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
" V nickel" is much easier to say so I just call it that.
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
2168 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  03:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
V nickels (without any mention of "Liberty"), and I suspect this is a sufficiently common option to be more likely than most of those featured specifically.
Learn More...
United States
11248 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  04:03 am  Show Profile   Check Fuzzy317's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I did a little research, and of the online coin sites I frequent (mostly coin vendors):
1 V nickel
3 Liberty V nickel
3 Liberty Head Nickel
9 Liberty nickel

Pillar of the Community
United States
7230 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  06:28 am  Show Profile   Check oih82w8's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add oih82w8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Over at Collectors Universe they are portrayed as "Barber Nickels", since they were designed by Charles Barber.
oih82w8 = "Oh I Hate To Wait"
"I tell her coins keep me off the streets and out of the bars." Moe145
"WOO-SAA...WOo-SAa...Woo-Saa" (calm down)
"An individual who vacillates when there is need of action will find themself beyond the hope of future success."
Edited by oih82w8
08/12/2017 06:49 am
Valued Member
United States
464 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  08:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bud250r to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've always called them Liberty Head Nickels.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6365 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  09:19 am  Show Profile   Check edweather's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add edweather to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just "V Nickels."
Pillar of the Community
United States
9341 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  09:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds like a political debate. I'd go with the "both" option simply because it covers all bases. The Liberty Vs. V-Nickel depends on how you learned to define them and that won't change.

Barber nickels would confuse too many collectors.
Valued Member
United States
404 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  09:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add WheatBackPenny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I call them ' V nickels'
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.88 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05