Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Medieval coins from europe. Real or fake?  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Norway
1 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  06:26 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Aasgaard to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi
I need some help. Ive started collecting medeival coins and found some on eBay, but no clue what to look for anf if they are real or not. These coins caught my attention. Any thoughts on authenticity?
Al help and tips are much appreciated.

Edited by Aasgaard
08/12/2017 06:35 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3628 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  07:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Aasgaard, first welcome to CCF. Second it looks to me like you are looking at a couple medieval coins of Hungary. For whatever reason, these are often found in pretty amazingly good condition and these certainly could be real.

You are right to be cautious though--eBay is a pretty hazardous place to purchase medieval coins. As you are based in Europe, I would recommend either vcoins or ma-shops as a preferred online marketplace.
"It certainly strikes the beholder with astonishment, to perceive what vast difficulties can be overcome by the pigmy arms of little mortal man, aided by science and directed by superior skill." --Henry VIII
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2179 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  07:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DavidUK to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't like the appearance/texture of the surfaces but I am completely ignorant on this type of coin so don't know if this is normal.

I will be interested to see what others think who are familiar with the series.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2632 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  09:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Although showing reverses would help (assuming you're needing i.d.'s) the top coin looks to be a denar of Stephen II, 1116 - 1131; bottom a denar of Bela II, 1131 - 1141.
Learn More...
United States
19927 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  3:30 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the community

If genuine these coins are in as struck condition.

Here is an excellent PDF on coins of Hungary that will help with your ID.

http://www.numismatas.com/Forum/Pdf...0Hungary.pdf
Valued Member
184 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2017  10:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Baltas to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Both denar is genuine, and Bob's id is correct!
These are small coins!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.7 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05