Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Hi. 1961 nickel. Your thoughts?  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  2:32 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Rarenpresh78 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I am assuming this is altered after minuting but is there any scenario where this type of error could occur? I am just looking for some insight so I can have a greater knowledge in general. Thank you.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4101 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  2:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Rarenpresh78, looks to me like someone took a piece of sandpaper to Monticello and brought it all down to one level. I can't tell if the rev rim has been similarly filed down or not. I'd say PMD.
"It certainly strikes the beholder with astonishment, to perceive what vast difficulties can be overcome by the pigmy arms of little mortal man, aided by science and directed by superior skill." --Henry VIII
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  2:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rarenpresh78 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I appreciate you taking the time to share your opinion & knowledge. I am in agreement about the PMD. I think that the building was "erased" must have been done by a tool of some sort. There is very little damage to the rest of the design.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4101 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  2:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
your opinion & knowledge

Mostly opinion--only a little knowledge.

I'm sure others who know a lot more will weigh in also. You can kinda see how the wear marks all line up parallel to each other. That is why I was thinking a file or sandpaper, but could be a dremel tool too (especially if there isn't any damage to any of the other devices).
"It certainly strikes the beholder with astonishment, to perceive what vast difficulties can be overcome by the pigmy arms of little mortal man, aided by science and directed by superior skill." --Henry VIII
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  2:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rarenpresh78 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't be so modest. It's very gracious of you to chat about this with me. But.. Let me ask again.. Is it possible that this is a mint error? Are there a set of circumstances that could produce this legit? And I've dremmeled lots of things. Never can I get that even of a grind. Not to say that someone else couldn't. Just that I have not yet been as successful.
Valued Member
United States
191 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  3:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jnesbitt82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
IMO, it's PMD. Someone has grinded the coin down. There are instances where the die is so worn that the area appears obliterated.

I recently took this coin from an uncirculated role. This coin has never been in circulation but Monticello appears very worn.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4101 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  3:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with @jnesbitt82, that an overpolished die (or, alternatively, striking through grease) can obliterate details. However, on your coin, the entire surface of Monticello has those parallel lines. In either of those two previous situations, I don't see how there could reasonably be those lines.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6040 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  3:29 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
jnesbitt82, I am going to take a guess that you are holding a 1954 S
second guess 1953 S
and third guess 1952 S.

It wins the least amount of steps contest prize for a BU coin bar none.
Never saw one so weakly detailed. Woah, it's a keeper just for that.
Signature
Sign Here X _______________________
Edited by TNG
08/12/2017 3:34 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6040 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  3:33 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1961 D looks like it was a dremel job with a wire brush bit.
Signature
Sign Here X _______________________
Valued Member
United States
68 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  3:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KevininFLA™ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Back in Junior High School, my friends would take copper US Cents and "sand" them smooth by rubbing them back and forth on the outdoor concrete patio tables.
Possibly, something similar was done to your Nickel. IMO
Valued Member
United States
191 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  4:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jnesbitt82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@TheNickelGuy, 54-S it is. I'm updating the other thread as we speak. I had some with up to two steps but most were gone.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9383 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  4:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A 10 year old, a sidewalk, and a nickel = death by scrub.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4154 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2017  5:15 pm  Show Profile   Check Crazyb0's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A "sparkler", attached to bottom rear of skateboard. When doing tricks and standing rears, sparks fly when contact with concrete...

Well, you did ask!
FREE! Coin IDing For Dummies, Vol. 1 in PDF format!
Get your copy Today!
http://goccf.com/t/296596
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2017  2:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rarenpresh78 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for your replies. The dremmel theory didn't sit well with me (because of my dremmel experience) and I felt oddly unsettled over it. The other possible explanations eased my mind. Strange how an unsolved mystery can have an irritating little presence in my head. Even over something so trivial. Have a good day all.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05