Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2007 Lincoln Cent With Partial Collar Error I Think?  

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
United States
1571 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2017  11:53 pm Show Profile   Check Errors and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Errors and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I found this in a circulated bankroll from a bank box of U.S. pennies. This was a surprise when I found it. I think it might be a Partial collar error, but I am not sure. It might also be a Stiff Collar error, but I don't think it's that though.

Errors And Varietys.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3746 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2017  12:25 am  Show Profile   Check Crazyb0's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yea, collar didn't completely close...enough so to keep it from being a full blown off center strike...
FREE! Coin IDing For Dummies, Vol. 1 in PDF format!
Get your copy Today!
http://goccf.com/t/296596
Pillar of the Community
United States
1571 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2017  12:45 am  Show Profile   Check Errors and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errors and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Crazyb0. I had a feeling it was exactly what I thought it was.
Errors And Varietys.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1198 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2017  12:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with crazyb0,worth only one cent,keep searching.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19759 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2017  04:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Stiff Collar
collar didn't completely close

John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1364 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2017  07:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Biedercoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Lubrication problem? Needs grease? What causes that?
- I've been collecting Lincoln cents for about two score and seven years & am upgrading to MS as possible.
- I collect all coins minted 1809, 1859, 1909, 1959, and 2009. Lincoln and C.Darwin were both born in 1809. The latter published his "On the Origin of Species.." in 1859, etc.
- I've also completed MS sets of Jeffersons and Franklins and I enjoy the hunt for WLH and "winged liberty" dimes.

ANA Lifer #: 6565
Pillar of the Community
United States
1571 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2017  08:09 am  Show Profile   Check Errors and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errors and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Chase007, worth only one cent? I disagree with that. It's a keeper for me. I am not throwing it back into circulation. If you think I will let this go, I won't. I just like it too much to let it go.
Errors And Varietys.
Edited by Errors and Varietys
09/14/2017 08:27 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1198 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2017  10:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
E&V ,this was just a test,because in almost all your posts, you end it with exact sentence: worth only one cent or whatever the denomination is.... now I hope you realize it really doesn't matter what a coin is worth,it always has a value in the eyes of it's collector may not necessarily have a monetary value!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1571 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2017  11:07 am  Show Profile   Check Errors and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errors and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is it a bad thing that I say it's worth one cent when it is exactly worth a cent because of MD, DDD, or just PMD? Do you not like what I say on other people's post? All I did was I said that there is no added value for it truth. If you don't like me, just say so. Anyway, I think this is a Stiff Collar error and not a Partial Collar error.
Errors And Varietys.
09/14/2017 11:22 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
24732 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2017  11:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is a partial collar and collectable. It altered the edge of the coin. Sometimes commonly called railroad rim. But when they happen on reed coins, then they really stand out.

The area not in the collar will appear enlarged. Inside the collar edges will be round.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
1571 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2017  12:05 pm  Show Profile   Check Errors and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errors and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Coop! I knew you were going to comment on this. I had a feeling that it was a Partial Collar error in the first place. Worth a couple of bucks.
Errors And Varietys.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2467 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2017  1:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I think it might be a Partial collar error,

Quote:
I had a feeling it was exactly what I thought it was.

Quote:
I think this is a Stiff Collar error and not a Partial Collar error.

Quote:
I had a feeling that it was a Partial Collar error in the first place.

Well it took awhile but I think we got there!!

You should always collect within your income, even if you have to borrow to do so.

Started a Dansco Jefferson nickel album #8113 using AU/BU examples 121/202
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1364 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2017  1:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Biedercoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Okay, and here's the explanation from minterrownews.com [https://minterrornews.com/priceguid...lcollar.html] with some rough prices:

"Partial collar strikes occur when there is a malfunction of the striking press. This causes the collar to be in an incorrect position. The lower die (usually the reverse die) is recessed in the collar. This allows the coin which is going to be struck to have a formed rim. After a coin is struck the lower die raises upwards, pushing the struck coin out of the collar and ejecting it.

If a blank entering the collar is not properly seated, it will only have partial reeding as it is struck. The edge of this coin will have a partial reeding and a partial blank surface area. Recently, the Mint has installed new machinery where either die can be installed in either position."

Just FYI

- I've been collecting Lincoln cents for about two score and seven years & am upgrading to MS as possible.
- I collect all coins minted 1809, 1859, 1909, 1959, and 2009. Lincoln and C.Darwin were both born in 1809. The latter published his "On the Origin of Species.." in 1859, etc.
- I've also completed MS sets of Jeffersons and Franklins and I enjoy the hunt for WLH and "winged liberty" dimes.

ANA Lifer #: 6565
Pillar of the Community
United States
1571 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2017  1:29 pm  Show Profile   Check Errors and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errors and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lol Mark! It took awhile, but I got a correct awnswer from Coop. My head was spinning back and forth on etheir a Partial Collar error or a Stiff Collar error. It's a Partial Collar. Stiff Collars are often confused with Partial Collar errors because of how similar they are. Now I have a 2007 Lincoln cent with a Partial Collar, a 2016 Harper's Ferry Quarter with a Partial Collar, and a 2003 Lincoln cent with a Stiff Collar error. Have you have anything good yet Mark?
Errors And Varietys.
09/14/2017 1:31 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2467 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2017  1:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So far just the usuall 40's and 50's - did find a 2000-s Proof (first proof roll hunting) and a nickle with a few chips and a nice die crack I'll post later.
You should always collect within your income, even if you have to borrow to do so.

Started a Dansco Jefferson nickel album #8113 using AU/BU examples 121/202
Pillar of the Community
United States
1571 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2017  1:49 pm  Show Profile   Check Errors and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errors and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Biedercoins, thank you for the good and accurate information. Mark, that's pretty cool that you found a Proof Nickle in circulation. I'll be excited to see your error coin post later. :)
Errors And Varietys.
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.11 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05