Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Let's define the term 'choice'  

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
1374 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2017  02:50 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The term gets thrown around a lot in numismatic circles and on this forum. Seems like it's loosely used. I'm guilty of using it too which is crazy considering I'm not 100% certain of the meaning.

I can't pinpoint exactly what 'choice coin' means.
My definition or at least what I suspect it to mean is a coin with superior eye appeal.

How would you guys define it?

Hi, my name is MikeF and I suffer from Seated dollar fever. Starting a twelve step program next week.
Edited by MikeF
10/10/2017 02:56 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3453 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2017  03:02 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know of this will help but, here is a description from J.T. Stanton on his eBay listings:

Quote:
70 = Perfect
65-69 = GEM BU/Proof
63-64 = Choice BU/Proof
60-62 = Select BU/Proof
55-58 = Choice AU (Almost Uncirculated)
50-53 = AU (Almost Uncirculated)
40-45 = EF (Extremely Fine)
20-35 = VF (Very Fine)
12-15 = F (Fine)
8-10 = VG (Very Good)
4-6 = G (Good)
3 = Fr (Fair)
2 = P (Poor)

70 - The perfect coin. Has very attractive sharp strike and original luster of the highest quality for the date and mint. No contact marks are visible under magnification. There are no noticeable hairlines, scuff marks, or defects. Eye appeal is attractive and outstanding. If copper, the coin is bright with full original color and luster.

67 - Has original luster and normal strike for the date or mint. May have three or four very small contact marks and one more noticeable mark but not a detracting mark. On comparable coins, one or two small single hairlines may show, or one or two minor scuff marks or flaws may be present. Eye appeal is above average. If copper, the coin has luster and original color.

65 - Shows an attractive high quality of luster and strike for the date and mint. May have a few small scattered contact marks, or two larger marks may be present. One or two small patches of hairlines may show. Noticeable light scuff marks may be seen on the high points of the design. Overall quality is above average and eye appeal is very pleasing. If copper, the coin has some attractive luster with original or darkened color, as designated.

63 - Mint luster may be slightly impaired. Numerous small contact marks and a few scattered heavy marks may be seen. Small hairlines may be visible without magnification. Several detracting scuff marks or defects may be present throughout the design or in the fields. The general quality is about average, but overall the coin is rather attractive. Copper pieces may be darkened or dull. Color should be designated.

60 - Unattractive, dull, or washed-out mint luster may mark this coin. There may be many large detracting marks, or damage spots, but no trace of actual circulation wear. There could be a heavy concentration or hairlines, or unattractive large areas of scuff marks. Rim nicks may be present, and eye appeal is very poor. Copper coins may be dark, dull, and spotted.
"When you make the finding yourself - even if you're the last person on Earth to see the light - you'll never forget it."
-Carl Sagan
Pillar of the Community
United States
1115 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2017  07:30 am  Show Profile   Check Andrew99's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Andrew99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As part of the descriptive grading system, there are the base grades G, VG, F, VF, XF, AU, BU and anything that is better than the base grade, but not as good as the next level is choice. Now when you start using numbers, that becomes moot. A VF-35 is a choice VF, but it makes no sense to speak of choice VF-35. Dealers used to use the term "commercial" attached to the next higher grade to describe a coin that was very choice for the grade below it, like a very lustrous VF-35 might be called a commercial XF.
The collection is in your mind. Dispose of your albums and free your mind from the tyranny of holes.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
13112 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2017  09:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
With non U.S. coins I use the British grading system, but I occasionally stray, and use Sheldon for strictly uncirculated and better.

I stick strictly to Sheldon for U.S. coins.

There is only ONE "choice" and that applies to uncirculated coins only.

In my book for grading Australian coins, grades are:
Uncirculated (this would be MS60)
Choice uncirculated, and
Gem uncirculated.

To me, MS70 would equate to FDC (Fleur de Coin) - a French term. This would be a perfectly struck coin with new dies, and showing no blemishes whatsoever.

With ancient coins, 'AS STRUCK' applies to a coin as it left the Mint.
However, LOTS of other factors besides condition contribute to the grading of an ancient coin, such as quality of strike, centering of the strike, flan quality, patination, skill of the die cutter, amount and location of corrosion, and even how well it was cleaned after recovery from burial.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9330 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2017  09:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Choice is not used in technical numerical grading. That word has been replaced by + and * indicating that it approaches the next grade, or that it has superior eye appeal, which is the only part of that use that is subjective.

Numerical grading is objective. Market grading is subjective and places a greater emphasis on descriptive terms such as choice.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6956 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2017  09:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinCollector2012 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I always considered choice coins to coins that are in the top of their specific grade range. For example, F-15 would be "Choice Fine".
Sets in progress... Mercury dimes, Washington quarters, 7070 Type Set
View my collection here! http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10518
ANA: 3183215, 2016 NCNA YN of the Year
Pillar of the Community
United States
9399 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2017  09:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Numerical grading is objective. Market grading is subjective and places a greater emphasis on descriptive terms such as choice.

All grading is subjective whether it is market or technical grading.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1374 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2017  10:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Doesn't sound like a clear consensus. Someone brought up the term BU. Makes me think back to when I returned to the hobby and encountered the scammy coin doctors on eBay who always marketed their polished coins as 'choice BU ++++'
BU... there's another term for debate. Why not just call it MS if the terms mean the same thing.
Hi, my name is MikeF and I suffer from Seated dollar fever. Starting a twelve step program next week.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15800 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2017  10:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's simple. Dealers use that word to make sales. It really means nothing. Just a word added on to another word to make people think this is better. Better than what? It's just a word.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6026 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2017  11:40 am  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
choice
An adjectival description applied to coin's grade, e.g., choice Uncirculated, choice Very Fine, etc. Used to describe an especially attractive example of a particular grade.
Signature
Sign Here X _______________________
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4125 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2017  1:00 pm  Show Profile   Check Crazyb0's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The shotgun spread of opinions regarding these arbitrary descriptive wordings shows just how well basic marketing 101 works. As already presented, grading on any scale is subjective. To those learned in the overall values (intrinsic value) of an individual coin set their own scale. Terms such as "choice", "BU", or for that matter further descriptive notations become nothing more than marketing ploys, grabbing the attention of a person's desire or level of understanding.

Personally, those terms which I have used as well, mean nothing as a descriptive tool, actually are a red flag to really check the items quality further. Some are used by newer sellers that think their products need a bit more help, these items should be able to sell themselves through pix and honest descriptions. Unfortunately, many are used by smucks as attention getters, knowing the "L@@K, MUST SEE" really doesn't work!

One last note, on eBay, some descriptive titles with customer set MS grades are restricted unless proven within grading section, "Uncirculated BU" becomes an easy choice to overcome that filter.
FREE! Coin IDing For Dummies, Vol. 1 in PDF format!
Get your copy Today!
http://goccf.com/t/296596
Pillar of the Community
United States
1115 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2017  2:21 pm  Show Profile   Check Andrew99's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Andrew99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On eBay, I cannot say VF-30 unless the coin is slabbed by PCGS, NGC, or ANACS. I can, however, say Choice VF, and I do. G-6, VG-10, F-15, VF-30, XF-45, AU-55, MS-65 are all choice within the grade.
The collection is in your mind. Dispose of your albums and free your mind from the tyranny of holes.
Pillar of the Community
United States
575 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2017  3:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Steelers72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For me, choice means close to the next grade. If someone says Choice XF, to me, it means about/close to AU.

Some use choice to describe that grade though. IE. Choice AU meaning that the piece is an attractive AU piece.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
16783 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2017  4:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would agree, but it is also frequently used to describe many aspects of a coin's appearance - for example, "choice color" or "choice surfaces."
"You can't fool all the people all the time - others would like a chance."

Valued Member
United States
345 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2017  4:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jon Brand to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
CAC should change the writing on the green been to "choice" instead of CAC. :D
Edited by Jon Brand
10/10/2017 4:47 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6510 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2017  5:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As most of you know ; I'm old school . On some of my own coins I use the terms Choice and Very Choice , meaning close to gem and very close to gem . To me gem is a 66, and superb gem would be a 67 . I do however use numerical grades if I am confident using them. Like I said many times before 97% of my collection are all raw coins .
Don't take life too seriously and remember it is just a passing fad ......
Michael Philip Jagger

Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05