Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Bushel Of Pennies / OK You Farmer Coin Collectors

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9877 Posts
 Posted 11/03/2017  01:40 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The inside measurements I'm using are
12 inches by 12 inches by 14.93 inches high, that equals 2150.42 cubic inches OR 35.24 liters - 1 USA Bushel
Correct my measurements if I'm wrong.

2,149.92 cubic inches for your box measurements but, close enough for me!

Quote:
what came up was, 1 bushel bucket holds 9.037 U.S. Gallons

It gave me 9.309 gallons.

This may be of interest as the U.S. and Imperial bushel are different:

Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum.
-Lucretius

"Just because you're paranoid don't mean they're not after you."
-Kurdt Kobain

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Learn More...
United States
21162 Posts
 Posted 11/03/2017  1:56 pm  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Any way the pail measures

- 14 inches dia at the top
- 9 inches high
- 11 inches dia at the base

Based on these measurements, using the formula for a Conical Frustum (a bucket), your bucket contains about 1,110 cubic inches (or 4.8 U.S. gallons, or 18 liters, or 4 Imperial gallons).

The 130 lb weight of the pennies is in line with that volume.

This is easily settled. Dump out the pennies and start filling the bucket with known quantities of water until it is full.

edited to correct "square inches" to "cubic inches".
Edited by nss-52
11/04/2017 08:47 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
2489 Posts
 Posted 11/03/2017  5:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We used to pick apples and veggies at the farm growing up and those dimensions are way way smaller than the wood/wire bushel baskets that we put things in. Those dimensions look like a "peck"
Learn More...
United States
21162 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2017  08:45 am  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Those dimensions look like a "peck"

It must be 2 pecks because a peck is about 2.3 U.S. gallons (537 cubic inches). The dimensions quoted produce about 1110 cubic inches.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4322 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2017  09:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I believe the wooden bushel that you use to see apples or other fruits marketed in will hold 70 pounds, but with pennies density, my guess it would be close to 500 pounds.
Learn More...
United States
21162 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2017  5:44 pm  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I believe the wooden bushel that you use to see apples or other fruits marketed in will hold 70 pounds, but with pennies density, my guess it would be close to 500 pounds.

How much, do you think, would a 50 gallon oil drum full of pennies weigh?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4322 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2017  5:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
About 2500 pounds
Valued Member
Canada
480 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2017  3:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chadcoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Built a bushel box to the specs and this is the official weight of a loose packed 1954 - 1996 Canadian pennies. They do stack fluffy and I shook the box to compact them and left a slight crown on the top. At least we have a good idea that 305 lbs is number to go by. One more note the box weighed 20 lbs but the scale has a feature to zero it while suspended. This sure is aloooooot of pennies!
Learn More...
Canada
8536 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2017  1:13 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cool.... now let's see a deadlift with that penny box!!
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3234 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2017  8:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DEVLEC to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
..and I need some pretty copper gutters..
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 2.68 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05