Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1804 dollar Proof sets  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
1019 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2018  12:48 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add jpsned to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
In explaining the existence of the 1804 dollar, the Red Book famously states that "Numismatists have found that the 1804 original dollars were first struck at the Mint in the 1834 through 1835 period, for use in presentation Proof sets."

Does anyone have information about what other coins these Proof sets contained? I wonder if any of those sets still exist.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1230 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2018  1:02 pm  Show Profile   Check Andrew99's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Andrew99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Its been kept together and sold last in 2005 to a collector who I believe still owns it

https://www.PCGS.com/news/fabled-ki...or-record-85

The collection is in your mind. Dispose of your albums and free your mind from the tyranny of holes.
Pillar of the Community
7817 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2018  1:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do recall this from a past post.https://www.PCGS.com/news/fabled-ki...or-record-85

Edit - Andrew beat me to the post.
Member SSDC
Edited by dave700x
01/11/2018 1:05 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2842 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2018  1:05 pm  Show Profile   Check coinlover1899's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add coinlover1899 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is an incredible set!
My name is Devin, and I have been collecting now for around 2 years. I love early American coppers. I set up at coin shows and sell on eBay with my dad (I own most of the coins we sell, and he owns most of the currency), and most of all... I have fun!
Visit my website:
https://www.InGodWeTrustCoinsAndCurrency.com/
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
652 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2018  1:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What is the Lincoln-looking thing on the top row?

Edit: If I'd read the article linked above the pic, I'd know: 1833 Andrew Jackson gold medal, PCGS PR 63 Cameo
Working on: Franklin halves (Unc), Peace dollars (62-63), US type (larger Seated AU)

"Fear is the enemy of will. Will is what makes you take action; fear is what stops you, and makes you weak."
-- Sinestro to Hal Jordan, "Green Lantern" (2011)
Edited by Alpha2814
01/11/2018 1:27 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1192 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2018  1:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Andrew Jackson gold medal 1833
Everyday is a great day. Semper Fi.
ANA Number: 3178122
My Wants List: http://goccf.com/t/188411
Pillar of the Community
United States
1019 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2018  1:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jpsned to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll take three, please.
Edited by jpsned
01/11/2018 1:44 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4439 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2018  1:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thedollarman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Alpha2814

from the PCGS article..

"The set also contains an 1833 gold medal depicting President Jackson. Although believed to be part of the set when delivered to the King of Siam in 1836, the half dime and Jackson medal were not included when the set turned up in London a half century ago. The two present replacements were included by subsequent owners more than a decade ago to fashion the set as it probably looked when presented to the King."
feel free to call me Will. I'm a 17 year old collector from Mississauga, Ontario.

my PMs are always open, whether you have a question or simply wish to talk.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
21069 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2018  1:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great pic, Andrew!
"The value of something is what you can sell it for the same day you bought it."

Bedrock of the Community
United States
13340 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2018  2:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That image is a photoshopped one, the coins were removed from the holder many years ago and individually slabbed (And If I remember correctly they have been slabbed three times going back and forth between the top two gaining a point each time.) I'm lucky enough that I had a chance to see the set before it was broken up and was still in the holder.

The other set presented to the Muscat of Oman returned to the market back in the early 20th century as the property of Charles Watters. The sale of his coins in 1917 included the 1804 dollar, and several other proof coins of 1834. Most likely the remains of the Muscat set. Today's collectors probably know the coin better as the Pogue coin. (It used to be that important coins were known by the starting provenance of the ownership chain. Today thanks to marketing they tend to be known by the last one. Makes it much more difficult to keep pedigree chains unraveled.)
Gary Schmidt
Learn More...
United States
50650 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2018  2:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
That is an incredible set!
Yes it is. When I saw it I nearly left my chair for the floor!
Pillar of the Community
7817 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2018  3:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm lucky enough that I had a chance to see the set before it was broken up and was still in the holder.

That must have been spellbinding...
Member SSDC
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11992 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2018  5:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would have embarrassed myself terribly if I saw that set in person.

I would have had to grab several napkins, or my shirt, to wipe up all the
Pillar of the Community
United States
7198 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2018  7:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinCollector2012 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That must have been quite a sight to see it in it's original holder.

That being said, Does anyone know why they chose to date the Dollar 1804? Why not just strike a Dollar dated 1834 to match the rest of the set?
Sets in progress... Mercury dimes, Washington quarters, 7070 Type Set
View my collection here! http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10518
ANA: 3183215
Bedrock of the Community
United States
13340 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  11:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
At the time the Mint was not authorized to strike silver dollars, they were operating order a presidential order from 1806 that halted striking of silver dollars. To make new 1834 coins new legislation would have had to have been passed. So instead thet looked back through their records and found that the last time they struck dollars was 1804. At first they tried to locate a suitable piece of that date for the set but none were available (They did not realize that the dollars struck on 1804 were dated 1803.) So they made new dies and "restruck" a coin of the last year they produced dollars. The 1804 eagle was restruck for similar reasons except that actual 1804 dated eagles were available but not of proper quality or quantity for the set.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
1019 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  1:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jpsned to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Conder, for that additional information. That was my next question--why didn't they just strike an 1834 dollar? Makes sense--those sneaky and crafty mint employees!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.86 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05