Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What do you consider to be expensive for a coin?  

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5
Valued Member
United States
140 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  10:09 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Ariette to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Most of my purchases are under about 200 dollars, so above that is where I'd see it starting to get expensive. Around 500 dollars I would consider to be quite expensive, something I would only be able to purchase one or two of a year. What do you consider to be a lot of money to spend on a single coin?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1052 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  12:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have purchased three coins that cost me over $200. I sold the two gold Eagles a few years back (for a BIG profit.) I have a few others that I inherited worth more. I tend to loiter in the $50 - $150 range. So, $200 is an expensive coin in my collection. I have the ability to pay more, but haven't brought myself to that point yet. This is only a hobby after all. That's why I may never finish my Lincoln album...
Still gathering small piles of copper and silver.
Valued Member
United States
52 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  12:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Shaw69 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The most I have ever spent on a single coin other than when I was buying gold coins at melt back before gold freaked out, was 90 dollars on an UNC shilling that I think is worth alot more. Might have spent more on a Trade Dollar but can't remember. My dream coin is a Wheat cent struck on a dime planchet, making it a silver Wheat cent, but those average 750-1k :D
Bedrock of the Community
United States
14047 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  1:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Let's see, how much is in my account......

I remember when $100 was big money for me. Now I hardly blink at $200 and have a couple dozen in the $500 to $1000 range, about 10 over $1000, 3 over $2000 and my current record is just over $6,000 for one coin.
Gary Schmidt
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
26671 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  1:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When I was a kid it was about $5. Now, it's probably $5,000.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15539 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  1:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you do wish to consider your collection as something you or your heirs will sell and you care about that possibility there is one simple rule to remember.

The higher the average value of coins in a collection the higher the percentage of retail you are likely to receive in a collection sale.

Dealers or auction houses want better coins. If they are forced to buy junk as part of the collection the seller will receive a smaller percentage.

So average value is even more important than highest prices paid.

My average coin is at $388.57 per coin.

Whenever I hit 1000 coins I sell my least expensive coins.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3882 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  1:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What do you consider to be expensive for a coin?

The one you cannot afford
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3371 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  2:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Any thing over $10
Please feel free to view my Gallery
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10523
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4904 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  3:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I generally won't spend more than $20 on a whim; no more than $50 unless it's a type I need and I feel confident I am getting a good deal. The overwhelmingly vast majority of my coins are worth very little (still holding on to a lot of circulation finds, plus "cool" world coins to spark the interest in my kids), and very few are worth more than $100. I think my single most expensive coin is worth $500+, followed by several in the $150-250 range.
New Sale! Inexpensive classic Greek silver, over 2,400 years old!

http://goccf.com/t/323297
Pillar of the Community
United States
8806 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  3:08 pm  Show Profile   Check Crazyb0's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dorado had it right, what you can't afford, real simple.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
961 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  3:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Really depends on the coin. I'll watch uncommon Peace dollars and gold commemoratives for several days before I throw a few hundred at them, but there's no way I'd spend that much on a Roosevelt dime or a Sacagawea dollar.
Working on: Franklin halves (now complete!), Peace dollars (three to go), US type (Bust era), and just started Chinese pandas.

"Fear is the enemy of will. Will is what makes you take action; fear is what stops you, and makes you weak."
-- Sinestro to (my avatar) Hal Jordan, "Green Lantern" (2011)
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16666 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  3:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For me that is a difficult question. I'm rather cheap so I really hate to spend money at all. There are many coins I've seen at coin shows I'd love to have but always in the thousands of dollars and I refuse to pay more than a few hundred for a coin. So many of my coins are from a long time ago when they weren't so expensive. For example I have 10 1916D Mercury dimes that cost me $1.50 each a long, long time ago. I think the most I've ever spent on a coin was that 2016D Gold Mercury dime the Mint issued recently. And I'm rather sorry about spending that much for that coin. So considering all that, I'd say about a few hundred dollars is my limit.
just carl
Learn More...
United States
57950 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  4:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My record is $165, but I do have several key date holes that will significantly break that if I am ever able to fill them. The cheapest hole just north of $200.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8246 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  5:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I always went for the cheaper coins $3-$30 because I went with quantity instead of quality . But the last 3 years I have spent more , trying to complete sets . My record is $205 for a Morgan dollar .
Don't take life too seriously and remember it is just a passing fad ......
Michael Philip Jagger

Bedrock of the Community
United States
11626 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  5:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GR58 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is a interesting question.

Off the top of my head.

I have at least 5 coins that I have paid between $1000 to $2000.
Several between $500 to $1000.

Coins between $150 to $500 .. will take a serious inventory. My guess
for those would be between 25 to 50 coins fall into that group.

I am thinking my sweet spot for better coins would be $25 to $100. I think
my collection has 100’s of coins in that group.

Thinking about this ... I would say expensive coins for me would start somewhere
around $250 and up.

Looking at these numbers ... I am wondering at what point I will pick up
some of the more expensive coins needed to complete some of my sets.

1893 S Morgan is at the top of my list .... that will be a very hard purchase
for me to make ... in the multiple thousands.

GoldRush58 - GR58
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
14429 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  5:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When you know you have paid too much for it.

A small or a large amount of money may be involved.

'Too much' is relative, and that depends on how much you think you are happy for pay for a coin that you may want.

That happiness level depends on what you can happily afford to spend on coins.

Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.04 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05