Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2 Doubled Working Hubs for 2017-P cents?  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
431 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  9:00 pm Show Profile   Check Tanman2001's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Tanman2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Mentioned in a reply a bit back that I believed there was at least one doubled working hub (or possibly a doubled master die due to how common it is, I'm going to refer to it as a doubled working hub for now) for 2017-P cents, so I'm going to show why I think this. I'll give 5 examples of each of the two hubs.

Doubled Working Hub #1
Extra thickness on LIBERTY. The left side of the Y is thicker than the other. Minor notching on the lower left of the TY. Minor notching on the top left of the T.

The majority of 2017-P cents are this doubled working hub. My estimate is around 75%.

WDDO-004, 006, 007, 008, 010, 013, 014, and 015 are this doubled hub.

Die #1:

Die #2:

Die #3:

Die #4:

Die #5:

Doubled Working Hub #2
Doubling is nearly identical to the first working hub but the letters are noticeably thinner than the first. The horizontal bar of the T and the right side of the Y are extremely thin.

Not as common as the first working hub, my estimate is 10%-20% of 2017-P cents are this doubled hub.

WDDO-011, 012, and 016 are this doubled hub.

Die #1:

Die #2:

Die #3:

Die #4:

Die #5:

True doubled dies:
WDDO-001, 002, 005, 009, and 017 do not match these doubled working hubs and have slightly more extra thickness on the letters.

WDDO-001:

WDDO-002:

What do you guys think?
Edited by Tanman2001
01/12/2018 9:03 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3027 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  9:07 pm  Show Profile   Check Errors and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errors and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was also thinking the same thing, do to the large amount of LSC I see with this same doubling. I don't even keep these, do to how common is it. I only keep the strong ones. Have you told John Wexler about this? It is etheir a Doubled Working Hub or a Doubled Master Die.
Errors And Varietys.
Edited by Errors and Varietys
01/12/2018 9:27 pm
Valued Member
United States
431 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  9:23 pm  Show Profile   Check Tanman2001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Tanman2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Have you told John Wexler about this?

I will try to send Wexler an email about this tonight.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3027 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  9:26 pm  Show Profile   Check Errors and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errors and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I will try to send Wexler an email about this tonight.

Awesome! Please update this post and quote or screenshot the email reply of what John Wexler thinks. It is getting time to update his site again anyway, so it would be good.
Errors And Varietys.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2842 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  9:39 pm  Show Profile   Check coinlover1899's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add coinlover1899 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All I can say is awesome pics!
My name is Devin, and I have been collecting now for around 2 years. I love early American coppers. I set up at coin shows and sell on eBay with my dad (I own most of the coins we sell, and he owns most of the currency), and most of all... I have fun!
Visit my website:
https://www.InGodWeTrustCoinsAndCurrency.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
791 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  11:00 pm  Show Profile   Check still lookin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add still lookin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tonight is the first time that I have looked at 2017 cents. I am in agreement that there are doubled master hubs. Way too many cents with the same features.
Valued Member
United States
431 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2018  10:58 pm  Show Profile   Check Tanman2001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Tanman2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From Wexler:

Quote:
Hi Tanner,

I've been thinking along those lines myself but have been way too busy to study them as you have. I agree with your findings. Please send me a list of the ones you believe are from Working Hub #1 and a list of those that you believe are from Working Hub #2. You will get credit on that web page for making the analysis.

Thank you for sharing your analysis with me. It is greatly appreciated.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3027 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2018  11:13 pm  Show Profile   Check Errors and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errors and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome Tanman! Thank you very much for cracking down on these. Now I know that they're not true Doubled Dies. That's what I call a
Errors And Varietys.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5962 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2018  11:36 pm  Show Profile   Check Crazyb0's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tannman, I have also noticed many what seems a VLDS that show for lack of better description a separation of the details, like a pulling apart which becomes blatant under too much magnification. I've always considered it nothing more than late stage attrition, which may in itself be wrong. I've wondered why so many folks were noticing all these. Good work up.
Books on Doubled Dies and Error Coins:
Coin IDing For Dummies Vol. 1, "The Minting process and Doubled Dies" (PDF format)
Coin IDing for Dummies Vol. 2, "Error coins and More!" (PDF format)
Find both here: http://goccf.com/t/296596

"Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press and a disarmed populace."
James Madison
Pillar of the Community
United States
1454 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2018  06:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 11997755 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Tanman. I wondered why I was finding so many DDO's on the 2017P's. After about 10 of them, I realized they were way too common to hang on too.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.71 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05