Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Is The Face Value Of Your Collection...

First page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 43 / Views: 3,229Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6029 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2018  3:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a pretty sizeable hoard of circulation finds, although I have taken a few large coinstar dumps in the last few years. I'd say minimum $700, about $200 of which are notes ($20 bills add up quick), and most of the rest is halves. By volume, cents and nickels by far, but they amount to less than $50 each.

I also have a decent face value in Japanese yen, probably equivalent of $300+. Most of the rest of my coins are demonetized.
My Collections:
Roman Imperial
http://goccf.com/t/348979
Japan Type set Tokugawa + Modern
http://goccf.com/t/348999
Indo Sassanian
http://goccf.com/t/322087
Pillar of the Community
United States
2114 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2018  4:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nfine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Face value of my collection wouldn't make one months mortgage payment on my house.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17900 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2018  5:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Face value - the number would be pointless.

Every coin and set I own is listed in my inventory to include date, mm, type, current sell value, when and from whom purchased with matching hardcopy invoice by date, date of purchase, price paid in code, subtotal per type, and TPG company and ID number as it applies.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9351 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2018  5:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The only coins I have a spreadsheet for are gold and platinum coins. It shows the total nominal gold weight down to 0.0001 ozt. Given that a dollar was 387/8000 ozt of gold (between 1836 and 1933), you could calculate the effective face value of the gold down to the nearest cent.

As for silver, I'm guessing the effective face value (measured in US silver dollars from 1840-1935) would be about $500.00 to $750.00. Much of this is junk silver taken from circulation back in the 1960s.

The combined face value of all copper coins is negligible. One $20.00 gold piece is worth 4000 Half Cents, for example.
Edited by pepactonius
01/17/2018 5:59 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3812 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2018  6:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Joe2007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My $500 bill in my currency collection is probably more than the sum of the rest of my collection. Over the past few years the face value of my acquisitions have been steadily decreasing but my expenditures have not. My friends and family would be shocked and appalled on what I've spent on mere "pocketchange".
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53506 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2018  6:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Must agree with mox - the face value of a collection is pretty meaningless. The guy who bought that (ugly) 1943 copper LWC recently for $1 million has a one-coin collection with a face value of one cent!
Edited by Coinfrog
01/17/2018 6:57 pm
Learn More...
United States
14451 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2018  7:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I already noted: face value about $880
spot/melt value (including some foreign gold) just under $24,000
Rest in Peace
United States
1559 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2018  8:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tootallious to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin collection that I inherited in February of last year and what I have added to since then at face value would not even be enough to take the wife out for a nice dinner and a couple of glasses of wine. (including a $2.50 gold coin and $5.00 gold coin @ $7.50)
Nonetheless, I'm proud of it and will continue to add to it.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
452 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2018  03:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coopertron5000 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A big chunk of my collection is British predecimal, the face value of these coins work out rather poorly - a pre decimal penny was 1/240 of a pound compared to decimal 1/100 of a pound. If my workings are right, a farthing as a face value of 1/1000 of a pound - my date run isn't even worth counting
Valued Member
United States
294 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2018  07:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pistareen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Face value would be hard to figure beyond eagles, dollars, cents and their fractions because I'd need to convert guineas, pounds, shillings, pence, reis, escudos, reales, maravedis (in pesos), Thalers, guilders, skilling, Celestons, joules, ergs, denarii, leptons, Aurei, mites, shekels, Louis d'Or, Ecus, sols, duits, Francs, bitts, Cash, coppers, ducats, zecchinos, and their fractions, token equivalents, and counterfeits, clips, and cut pieces. What money of account would you recommend I use? Such is life when you collect colonials, ancients, and most everything else.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14581 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2018  08:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To be honest, I have no idea . I was a complete fool in my early years and did not have an inventory of anything I had . My late in life inventory of 50% of what I own , didn't come until I went on permanent disability from my job . The other 50% of my collection I don't have access to go through them for different reasons and probably never will .
So the FV of my collection is
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Learn More...
United States
94221 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2018  10:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The face value of your collection is not meaningless.

It provides context.

You either appreciate it or you do not.
Canada
34 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2018  12:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sprants to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My Collection is probably between $140 and $200, add another $30 or so for paper money.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11935 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2018  05:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GR58 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting replies. I really enjoyed reading them all.

For me ... knowing all the numbers will be very helpful when I talk
to my kids about my collection. If they don't know what the true value is,
they might end up dumping or selling my collection cheap, after
I am gone.

Of course the face value in most cases will be a very small number
compared to the true value of a collection. But if your collection ends
up with a relative, that is not a collector, that might be their starting point
of coming up with a value.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10766 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2018  5:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The face value of your collection is not meaningless.

I agree with jbuck for his reasons, and if nothing else you have a starting point for an insurance claim if in the unfortunate event it is ever needed. Insurance companies will only pay face value to replace coins/notes, they won't take into account market value of collectibles unless you have paid for a rider or separate policy.
Edited by CelticKnot
01/19/2018 5:28 pm
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 43 / Views: 3,229Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.83 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05