Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1970s Cent small date -vs- large date?  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
55 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2018  6:28 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Coinvirgin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
*** Edited by Staff to Add Year / Mintmark / Denomination to Title. Titles are Important! ***

I am confused by the information in given in book” Strike it Rich with Pocket Change”.
On page 57 it says the ‘valuable’ coin is the 1970s small date. However it shows on page 56 the 1970s large date being more valuable? Is this s misprint?
So which is it? Small or large date?
And exactly what makes it valuable?
Is it the variety, year & errors combined the gives it it’s value?
Do the coins exist without the errors?
Did the Philadelphia Mint release any of these 1970 small/ large date pennies?
Is it possible to have a 1970 small date with no mint mark?

Valued Member
United States
55 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2018  6:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinvirgin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I realize that coins minted in Philadelphia didn’t have mint marks. What I was trying to find out if they had minted a 1970 Pennie. I ‘ think’ (? )I have a small date 1970 Pennie but it has no mint mark.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6588 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2018  6:40 pm  Show Profile   Check Crazyb0's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First off to the forums

The 1970 small dat applies ONLY to the S mint issue coins. All the other hubbed dies for the Denver and Philly mints have the Large date. See here:

One other way to tell is the curl of the 9 points to the S on a LD and to the 7 on the SD

Books on Doubled Dies and Error Coins:
Coin IDing For Dummies Vol. 1, "The Minting process and Doubled Dies" (PDF format)
Coin IDing for Dummies Vol. 2, "Error coins and More!" (PDF format)
Find both here: http://goccf.com/t/296596

"Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press and a disarmed populace."
James Madison
Edited by Crazyb0
01/17/2018 6:45 pm
Valued Member
United States
55 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2018  8:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinvirgin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Knowledge (in my opinion ) is the most valuable thing a person can possess . Thank you for sharing your knowledge with me!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1055 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2018  8:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add OldJoeClark to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5597 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2018  02:50 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't have an opinion about the book because I haven't read it. The title is slightly misleading, however.

Yes, small and large date in 1970 only involves the S-mint coins. The small date is the desirable one. There are many ways to tell the difference and several have been shown.

Personally, the position of the 7 is enough for me:

Draw a mental line from the bottom of the 1 to the bottom of the 7. If that line extends to the bottom of the 0, it's a Small Date. If that line extension travels below the bottom of the 0, it's a Large Date. Hopefully, that makes sense.
"When you make the finding yourself - even if you're the last person on Earth to see the light - you'll never forget it."
-Carl Sagan

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
22579 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2018  09:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

to the CCF!
"The value of something is what you can sell it for the same day you bought it."

Pillar of the Community
United States
1380 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2018  12:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Halo1st to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
On page 57 it says the ‘valuable’ coin is the 1970s small date. However it shows on page 56 the 1970s large date being more valuable? Is this s misprint?

In the 3rd edition I found in PDF format a while back. The 1970S small and large dates are referenced on page 55. I see no written reference of large date being the one with added value. Only the small date.

That said there is an image on that page that seems to be a large date. The notes under it describes what to look for on a small date. Note it doesn't make reference to the image being one or the other, but thought that might confuse some people starting out.

Quote:

A few scenarios come to mind that potentially could happen and make a missing mint mark. Note: I don't recall seeing any of these scenarios first hand.

1. Device (MM) on the die could be filled with grease.
2. Mint mark removed from coin after strike (PSD).
3. Polished off the die.

Adding to what others have already mentioned. The small date upper curl on the 9 points towards the center of the 7.

On the large date it points towards the tail end or bottom of the 7. I think it was mentioned above it points to the MM, but MM's move around some and may or may not be inline with the upper curl of the 9.

Circulation can alter appearances so you need to take everything into account. Thanks, Doug.

edit: to add/change "edition" above.
Second opinions are always recommended. Rookies thoughts!
Backup data often or good luck with the recovery process..... SME advice!
Edited by Halo1st
01/18/2018 6:33 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6588 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2018  6:37 pm  Show Profile   Check Crazyb0's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

None are known to date, but as Halo1 stated, a modified 1970S could be, but why would someone alter a valuable coin, it would only be damaged and therefore absolutely void of value?
Books on Doubled Dies and Error Coins:
Coin IDing For Dummies Vol. 1, "The Minting process and Doubled Dies" (PDF format)
Coin IDing for Dummies Vol. 2, "Error coins and More!" (PDF format)
Find both here: http://goccf.com/t/296596

"Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press and a disarmed populace."
James Madison
Valued Member
United States
55 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2018  10:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinvirgin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So much great info, thank you all:)
I found my first “counter clash” ? ( with out the counter )
1974 D Roosevelt dime . It’s not as obvious as the picture in the book but it’s a keeper!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.2 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05