Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Possible Counterfeits? Calling All Morgan Dudes

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8236 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2018  11:19 am  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1890 does not look right, especially the lower reverse. The 1921 appears authentic at a glance.
Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Pillar of the Community
United States
655 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2018  12:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ron6788 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can you post larger, better resolution pics? It's hard to tell from these but I think they're real. In any case, if they feel real, weigh out correctly, and look reasonably ok, they'd fool me!

Also, on the link posted about 1879 fakes, they also appeared real to me. I quickly checked one of the pics on my slabbed Morgans (1893-CC) and found the stars also "weird-looking". There's just too many legit variations on these coins to pick out little bits and say it makes a fake, IMO.

Valued Member
United States
414 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2018  7:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cableguy815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not particularly valuable coins so why bother forging these? Doesn't really make sense considering the payoff. Looks authentic to me. The were both probably worn as jewelry pieces and then cleaned which may account for the odd toning.
Nothing better than a fresh World Crown arriving in the mail after a long and tiring day.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13125 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2018  8:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Not particularly valuable coins so why bother forging these?

Sorry but I disagree with this statement. The threshold for new counterfeits is incredibly low.
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
3479 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2018  8:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Any chance of checking the silver content with a Sigma Megalytics or some other instrument?

Yeah I know a shop that has one but it's a bit of a drive. I've loooked online for a used one before but didn't have any luck. All I found were new ones that run $600-700.
Also no chance of better photos. One of the admins took pity one me and was nice enough to modify these for me but all I have is an iphone. No rig.
Hi, my name is MikeF and I'm a degenerate coin collector. I also like adventure, big trucks, long walks on the beach and the Kansas City Chiefs.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6091 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2018  9:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Not particularly valuable coins so why bother forging these? Doesn't really make sense considering the payoff. Looks

There is a large market for fake Morgans. The Chinese makers sell these for up to 2.00 each. Other sites like Wish.com has sellers who charge 5.00 and 10.00 for them. It is also not rare to find the fakes on eBay.

Fake Morgans are bought by people and taken to local flea markets etc. to fool the populace and sell them to those who have little knowledge of coins, but know what an "old silver dollar" looks like. A dishonest person, if they sell four of these at a flea market would make 100.00 for their 7-8.00 "investment."

The factory that was called "Big Tree" in China actually had a complete set of either BU or circulate Morgan dollars in a fake Dansco-looking album in their list of offerings.

I bought some when eBay allowed Big Tree to sell so I could study them. I posted several of the findings (such as the 1879 Morgan) on this forum so we all could benefit.
- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3479 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2018  10:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Fake Morgans are bought by people and taken to local flea markets etc. to fool the populace and sell them to those who have little knowledge of coins, but know what an "old silver dollar" looks like. A dishonest person, if they sell four of these at a flea market would make 100.00 for their 7-8.00 "investment."

Exactly. The scary part is local pawn shops give them a pass as long as they look legit and have close enough weight. There's not much scrutiny put on common date Morgans which makes them easier to pass off. The shop that these are from only weighed them and the guy who handles incoming coins isn't even a collector. He just calls me when he gets them in.
Hi, my name is MikeF and I'm a degenerate coin collector. I also like adventure, big trucks, long walks on the beach and the Kansas City Chiefs.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05