Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Opinions Please 1925 Buffalo

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
383 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2018  1:01 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add johnny676767 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello,

I am working on an UNC Buffalo date set. The '25 is one that I need. I saw this and liked the toning. Pictures aren't that great and price seems a bit high but it has character IMO. I just wanted the expert opinions. Do you think it makes the grade? How about eye appeal? Price?

By the way, I offered $150 but was declined.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11988 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2018  1:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice eye appeal and tone, not sure if the horn makes it a 64 .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Pillar of the Community
United States
1538 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2018  2:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Personally, I'm not big on toning but would prefer a more even tone -- this seems spotty on the obverse around the rim 3 to 7 o'clock.

As for the price, it's higher than even the PCGS price guide (which itself is always higher than recent auction results). For the right piece, I'm willing to go higher than recent auctions, but those are mostly 150 or less. At 185, I'd pass on this one.
Working on: Indian quarter eagles, Chinese pandas, and San Francisco tokens; upgrading my Peace dollar and US Type sets

"Fear is the enemy of will. Will is what makes you take action; fear is what stops you, and makes you weak."
-- Sinestro to (my avatar) Hal Jordan, "Green Lantern" (2011)
Pillar of the Community
United States
8714 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2018  2:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would not buy it. I prefer a more even toning. The price is also a bit too much for me.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42673 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2018  2:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very attractive. You might trying upping your offer a bit (not less than $10).
Valued Member
United States
383 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2018  3:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnny676767 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's another at 64 by SEGS, though. Seller says there are no problems except "it's not graded by a real company". Price is a point for me, so if I could get this for under $100, I'd be happy. I like the toned coins, sometimes even that more steely look rather than brilliant gleaming luster. I think it's ok for a coin to show its age if you know what I mean.

I thought this coin showed wear on the fur but there seems to be a bit of a flat spot on the hump as well which made indicate a weaker strike- horn looks good, though. . Seller does offer a return.

Thanks everyone!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17900 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2018  5:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Like the PCGS, not the price.

Dislike the SEGS.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3367 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2018  10:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add acloco to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pass on both.

SEGS might be a better looking coin on the net with better lighting - as luster is present, but the coin looks flat in the luster department in that picture.

Toning on the PCGS Buff - might stay put and might get worse. That particular toning is not pleasing to the eye, especially when other UNCs will be next to it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4304 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2018  08:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've no problem with the coin being graded MS-64 using the pictures posted.
But if I were thinking about buying it I would want larger images.

Toning is a personal thing so I can see the opinions varying about that.

IMO $150 is a very fair offer.
I see little or no room for a larger offer.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Edited by kanga
02/03/2018 08:31 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
8714 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2018  09:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Personally, I wouldn't buy either one. I don't like the toning on the PCGS, and the SEGS graded coin has flat luster and is not graded by a reputable TPG.

with Kanga - 150 is a fair offer.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18720 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2018  3:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Personally, I wouldn't buy either one. I don't like the toning on the PCGS, and the SEGS graded coin has flat luster and is not graded by a reputable TPG.

just carl
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42673 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2018  3:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
on the SEGS.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2429 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2018  6:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like the PCGS, but you have to get it at the right price. There have been a few coins that I liked from seller, but coins are always on the high side. PCGS retail is $165 for MS 64. Pass on the SEGS as soft strike no luster.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42673 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2018  6:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
United States
4205 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2018  5:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Debrajc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definite pass on the SEGS

I have made offers with this seller in the past. Not Buffalo nickels
tho. I have found they will not accept very much at all less than they are asking.
So the "make offer" gets declined a lot.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.48 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05