Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post Pictures Of Your Coins With The Lowest Survival Estimates

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
United States
3479 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2018  02:32 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This should be a great one! We all know survival estimates play the largest role in determining a coins scarcity. Often times, mintage counts can be deceiving due to melting, shipping overseas, etc.

Rules: You can post pictures of up to three coins in your collection with the lowest estimated survival figures. Proofs, business strikes, all are welcome. And before we go there, I should address that we all know survival estimates are nothing more than educated guesses. So let's try and keep that debate off the thread if possible.
Hi, my name is MikeF and I'm a degenerate coin collector. I also like adventure, big trucks, long walks on the beach and the Kansas City Chiefs.
Edited by MikeF
02/03/2018 03:02 am
Valued Member
United States
115 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2018  08:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JFH to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1847-O half eagle is rare in all grades. Probably no more than four dozen are known in all grades and most grade VF35 or lower. Properly graded EF coins are very rare and this date is extremely rare in AU. (per Doug Winter)

JFH

Pillar of the Community
United States
1964 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2018  09:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Once again,

PCGS survival of 60.
"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Valued Member
United States
109 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2018  10:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RubyOpal to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It took me a year and a half and the purchase of Colonial and Early American Coins to identify this one: 1787 Connecticut, Miller 14-H, R-3. Between 250 and 500 surviving. .
Edited by RubyOpal
02/03/2018 10:57 am
Valued Member
United States
275 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2018  6:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dlangs56 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thq
Pillar of the Community
United States
3479 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2018  11:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unreal guys! I wasn't expecting to see coins with survival rates under 100.

Keep them coming!
Hi, my name is MikeF and I'm a degenerate coin collector. I also like adventure, big trucks, long walks on the beach and the Kansas City Chiefs.
Learn More...
United States
77227 Posts
Valued Member
United States
115 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2018  07:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JFH to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1850-C G$1 MS61,around 200 known.

JFH

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13096 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2018  08:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@MikeF, if you will indulge me posting a non-US coin, I can get us down to a surviorship of 7-10 pieces extant:

It is a Kreuzer from the Austrian Duchy of Wiener Neustadt, dated 1459 AD. Here is more information about this coin from a previous CCF post of mine: http://goccf.com/t/260883

On the other hand, if it really was your intent to restrict this to US coins only, just let me know and I'll delete my post.
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
543 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2018  10:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Heymikep to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are two of my coins with a low survival rates. The first is an 1850 Half with an estimated 600 survivorship.

The second is an 1847/6 Half with an estimated 125 survivorship.

Pillar of the Community
United States
892 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2018  11:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CollegeBarbers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Rules: You can post pictures of up to three coins in your collection with the lowest estimated survival figures.

MikeF, to clarify, are you talking about lowest overall survival (in all grades), condition rarities, or both?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
41313 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2018  11:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm sure he means all grades.
United States
37 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2018  12:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sjkrose to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's my one dollar type set! Off the top of my head, I believe the 1855-D is between 75-100 pieces known.

Enjoy

Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
2769 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2018  12:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
@MikeF, if you will indulge me posting a non-US coin, I can get us down to a surviorship of 7-10 pieces extant:
I think I can get it down to a 4-6 estimate - at least, assuming that my attribution is correct, and that I correctly interpreted the catalogue...

Elbing, Swedish occupation of, solidus, 1657.

Obverse: CAROL GVST D G, crowned CG monogram within inner circle
Reverse: SOLIDVS PRVSSIAE 57, arms of Elbing in cartouche within inner circle

KM# 65 (listed as "rare"), Numista 96629 (rarity 97 - only my example), Kopicki 9655 (R7, estimated 4-6 examples known).
Pillar of the Community
United States
3479 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2018  10:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
MikeF, to clarify, are you talking about lowest overall survival (in all grades), condition rarities, or both?

Conditional rarities are fine. Just explain why they are rare in their condition. World and ancient coins are fine in my book as well.
Pillar of the Community
United States
892 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2018  10:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CollegeBarbers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1867 2 Cent DDO, estimated survival of 1,500:

1894-O Barber dime, also estimated survival of 1,500:

Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.93 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05