Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1983 LMC die chip lower portion of 8 and other post breaks?  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
96 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2018  10:45 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CJ18850 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
My picture is not great, however I assume a die chip from the post breaking off in the lower portion of the 8 and a couple post breaks between the rim and end of front shirt dressing (straight down from “1” in date to the left) ? That is not great to the eye to see in the picture though. My first chip in date error.
Edited by CJ18850
02/11/2018 10:51 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
21157 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2018  10:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes,die chip on the 8 and maybe a die crack below bust. Need a bit more light.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
96 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2018  11:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CJ18850 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you! Yes die crack, (forgot to mention) but two pieces of seperate chips east of the crack. Yes? One possible to add as a cud, since it sits on the rim? Hope these pictures are better.

Edited by CJ18850
02/11/2018 11:40 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
22579 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2018  11:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree, looks like a die chip and a die crack. Good eye!
"The value of something is what you can sell it for the same day you bought it."

United States
10 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2018  12:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Craz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
nice find!
Valued Member
United States
96 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2018  12:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CJ18850 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great eye John1 for seeing the elusive crack in my pictures. Thank you everyone! Nice to add to my collection!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
26907 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2018  2:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not a die chip on the '8'. That is a broken post that would have made the round area in the center of that device before it broke off the die.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
02/11/2018 2:38 pm
Valued Member
United States
96 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2018  3:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CJ18850 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Coop! That’s why I wasn’t sure of the chip, yet leaning more towards a post break. I’m getting there with everyone’s help.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
21157 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2018  3:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I call that crack below the bust a "pre-cud" die crack. Very common in 1983. Isn't a post break still a die chip?
John1
Edited by John1
02/11/2018 3:30 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
26907 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  1:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not really. A chip often looks like a bit of chewing gum that chipped away from an edge of a device. On a broken post, the needle like thin area of the die breaks off, not forming the center of the device. This can happen slowly and just part of the area would be partly affected. Totally it can even break off part of the die and make that area above the device that was affected. On this one, it looks like this happened. The area in question is above the device. So some of that area broke off the die making it above the device.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays

Bedrock of the Community
United States
21157 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  2:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you coop as always.
John1
Valued Member
United States
333 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  2:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Willburton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One of them like this one is a DDO
Valued Member
United States
96 Posts
 Posted Yesterday  06:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CJ18850 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Willburton, I’d love one of those for my collection!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
26907 Posts
 Posted Yesterday  1:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They are usually pretty easy to find when searching though coins.
Richard S. Cooper

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05