Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Drowning in wheat cents! Advise please.  

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
164 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2018  12:00 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add MSI2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have and elderly relative who’s health has been deteriorating the last several months. He’s been collecting coins for at least 65 years. My relative is 81 years young. He of course gave his son the collection. He new I recently became interested in collecting Lincoln cents. He graciously offered to give me his “extra” wheat cents telling me “you should find a few nice coins to add to your collection”. I offered to pay him for the coins but refused and said he was confident that I would provide them a good home. I thought he was giving me a few jars of old Lincoln’s. When I went to his house I was shocked to find out he was giving me about 30 containers of various size and shapes filled with coins.

The first thing I did was to weigh the containers. I have more or less 360 lbs. of Lincoln’s! Google search indicated that there is approximately 147 cents/lb. so 147x 360=52,920 Lincoln’s. This is equal to 1,059 rolls.

My plan is to take one bag at a time and first separate them into decades (teens, 20s, 30s etc.). Then separate each decade by date and mm looking for key and semi-key coins. I will then examine each coin for errors, varieties and other interesting finds. Saving the best for my collection. The rest will be placed in coin tubes by date and MM.

As I’m still a neophyte to coin collecting, does my plan of attack make sense and what should I do with all of the coins I’m not adding to my collection. Any help/suggestions will be appreciated.
Pillar of the Community
United States
786 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2018  12:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add paxbrit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You've got the right approach. When you're ready, start selling off small lots on eBay, '50 wheat cents 1940's', that kind of thing. A coin shop won't give you much for them, eBay is the way to go.

Don't forget to give some away, youngsters love gifts of wheat cents, if you know any.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5688 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2018  12:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds like you are hitting the copper motherlode. Your plan sounds sensible (albeit time consuming). Depending on your level of interest, you could consider not searching for errors and varieties. Even if you spent 1 minute per coin, that would still equal 882 hours, or a full time job, 40 hour/week job for nearly half a year. I love coins, but I'm not sure that I have that level of dedication. You might though...
"It certainly strikes the beholder with astonishment, to perceive what vast difficulties can be overcome by the pigmy arms of little mortal man, aided by science and directed by superior skill." --Henry Tudor (the lawyer not the king)
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
22579 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2018  12:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds like a ton (no pun) of fun! Congrats!
"The value of something is what you can sell it for the same day you bought it."

Pillar of the Community
United States
1419 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2018  1:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dave H to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just think of all the treasures that may await you. Personally, I would make a cheat sheet of all the key and semi-key dates and rifle though them as quickly as possible sorting them that way as you are separating them by decade... Roll them by decade as you have time and sell them by the roll on the 'Bay. If you have a local coin club in the area, there may be someone there that would buy them from you... Good luck!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
21157 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2018  1:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a few suggestions. I don't know your expertise in the hobby,so learn what to look for... errors and varieties before you start searching. The rest of your plan sounds good. With the extras,maybe a contest or two here on CCF? Any local coin clubs near you?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
516 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2018  1:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Have lots of fun!! Don't forget to post some so fellow CCF members can get first shot.

KK
Pillar of the Community
United States
3619 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2018  3:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Debrajc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow~!!

I think you have the correct first step Separate them into decades, years, mint marks etc.

And don't forget to spend a few common ones here and there.
Perhaps it will get someone else interested in collecting.
Valued Member
United States
269 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2018  4:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Papadoc75 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow! In a part time, once in awhile searching schedule that could last you years. If space and time aren't a factor than you are set for possibly finding some cool varieties and errors. I couldn't live with myself for letting them go without going through them.
God Bless America!

Valued Member
United States
57 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2018  5:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tryingmybest to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Organization is the key. I'm in a similar situation with my mothers coins. Learn from my woes, clearly label each set of coins that you have searched and completed. I thought that keeping them to the side of my room in separate containers was adequate. I learned my lesson after my wife moved things around in the room. Staring at 50,000 pennies and no longer being confident which were searched after I had spent weeks working on them left me wanting to cry. A big thick permanent marker for the outside of each container is now always by my side when searching.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16130 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2018  6:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
IF you have any young relatives, see if you can borrow one or more to help.
just carl
Bedrock of the Community
United States
13030 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2018  6:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Truly a stash of some reckoning. Best of luck and fun.

Don't forget to post photos here for us if you have questions.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1196 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2018  7:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow!

You are on the right track. Separating them by date sounds good. Make sure not to clean or polish any of them.
If you wish to sell some of the coins, the best way to sell would be eBay.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7203 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2018  7:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow , now that's a Hoard . Can't even imagine what he must of given his son . Good luck going through them .
Don't take life too seriously and remember it is just a passing fad ......
Michael Philip Jagger

Pillar of the Community
United States
2865 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2018  7:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add acloco to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oooooph is the word that comes to mind.

But, this road will be FUN to travel!!

Valued Member
United States
71 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2018  7:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lionel90 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You're going to need space and equipment, lights and magnifing glass or loupe. I got some great ideas from reading the equipment threads and using the search tools on CCF. Have fun!
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.81 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05