Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

RAM's low mintage figures

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

Australia
3083 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  04:36 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add gxseries to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Looks like RAM has recently updated their homepage. Maybe some amateur or someone that came for work experience did it? The font looks quite messed up.

It looks like the mintage figures for some coins are unusually low!

For instance

commemorative 2016 1 dollar 0.56 million (!)
2014 1 dollar 1.052 million
2015 ANZAC 1 dollar 1.3 million

2017 commemorative 25th anniversary Mabo 50 cents may look like it's going to be very scarce!

I still haven't found the complete set of 50th anniversary of decimal set in the wild - found the 5 cents and 1 dollar impossible to find. Color coins are even rarer - as scarce as hen's teeth!

Makes me wonder if the recent production of producing many different types of commemorative coins is causing the mintage figures to be low.

Makes collecting hard and challenging!
My partial coin collection http://www.omnicoin.com/collection/gxseries

My numismatics articles and collection: http://www.gxseries.com/numis/numis_index.htm Regularly updated at least once a month.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
14511 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  06:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I try to collect for face value, two of every type of commemorative coin issued into general circulation.

Don't keep close tabs on mintage numbers.

Haven't seen a 50th Anniversary Two Dollars, One Dollar and a 10 Cents in the wild.
I haven't seen a 2015 ANZAC One Dollar in the wild, either.
Have found several 50th Anniversary 50 Cents, one 20 Cents and two 5 Cents.

Thanks for letting me know about the Mabo 50 Cents ! I will Google Image it to learn what to look for. **

Have found a complete set of colored Two Dollar Possum Magic coins; they were given to me at face value, by a Woolies employee.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

** Sorry, just Google Imaged, and checked my collection. YES! I have two Mabos! Yeah !
Edited by sel_69l
02/13/2018 06:35 am
Pillar of the Community
Australia
3083 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  07:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gxseries to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm fuming. I swear there must be a hoard of coin collectors around my area. I have not seen a colored 2 dollar coin in circulation since 2014 - the green Remembrance coin. The only time I was lucky was when I went to Woolies and got the 2 dollar Paraolympics coin. No other color Olympic coins. I even struggled to find any Possum magic coin despite my recent visits! I don't normally shop at Woolies so maybe that's why... My workmate felt sorry and gave me one of his. All the other colored coins came from friends.

I did pull a couple of the 50th anniversary 2 dollar coins and the 10 cents from circulation. I've also found a 2015 ANZAC dollar coin - quite banged up unfortunately I have to start photographing some of my latest search. My collection must have stopped around 2010 since I ran out of space in my coin albums. And it looks like that Mabo coin is going to be another missing hole in my collection judging how hard the other coins have been.

I have never gone to banks to get change over the last decade but it's only in the last couple of years that I've started. I swear I have been getting plenty of other searchers rejects / dumps!

My numismatics articles and collection: http://www.gxseries.com/numis/numis_index.htm Regularly updated at least once a month.
Valued Member
Australia
258 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  08:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coaster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It looks like the mintage figures for some coins are unusually low!

For instance

commemorative 2016 1 dollar 0.56 million (!)
2014 1 dollar 1.052 million
2015 ANZAC 1 dollar 1.3 million

2017 commemorative 25th anniversary Mabo 50 cents may look like it's going to be very scarce!

I agree with the 2015 $1 ANZAC (1.33M) & 2016 $1 50th anniv. of decimal currency (0.561M) mintage figures but unless I'm missing something the 2014 $1 MOR had a total mintage of 6.2M according to RAM's Annual Reports https://www.ramint.gov.au/annual-reports

Also, just going on the numbers that I have come across, I don't think that the 2017 50c Mabo coin will be that scarce. RAM states that 0.162M were minted in the first half of 2017 but I think we'll find that a lot more were minted in the second half when the next Annual Report is released.
Valued Member
Australia
71 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  6:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add squaremealroundplate to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Hi all

The RAM mintage figures ?

An ongoing " right up my nose " years of a curse and frustration for me, and no doubt for many others, as far as any reliable figures of RAM coin mintages are concerned. I've emailed the RAM several times over the years, and each time - usually some weeks later - I eventually got a reply that could have been written and sent after a very long lunch by a person who had most likely well and truly overlubricated their alcohol dependant throat.

In many vain attempts, I helpfully tried to point out in my emails to the RAM asking them to have a look at the mintage and details they have of the eg. $1 coins on their " official " RAM site.

I mean " no one dollar coins were minted in 1987 " ?, " no one dollar coins were minted in 1989, 1990, 1991 " ?, along with the $1 minted in 1992 being a " Five kangaroos designed and sculpted by Stuart Devlin " ? Yeah ? Is that right ?

I'm over it all now. But wouldn't I like to have a 1992 $1 Roo ....?

Pillar of the Community
Australia
3083 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  10:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gxseries to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Obviously something is just wrong.

I still have yet to find a 2014 $1 MOR and wrote it off as just very low mintage figures. Had a look at the annual report and it just seems it's wrong.

For a mint that prides on technology - I really have to question it when they can't even get their mintage figures right. Cost cutting at it's finest?

Valued Member
Australia
71 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2018  02:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add squaremealroundplate to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

gxseries and others,

I can't help myself, so I've just had another look at the coin mintage figured on the RAM's site.
Unfortunately, it has nothing to do with cost cutting. I've even previously ( tried to ) part read the RAM's annual report(s) pre amble, which is only endless page after page of self appreciating 24 carat gold plated " best practice(s).". volumes of dreamt up codswallop. Blessed are Government entities, aye ? Yet, par for the course.

Reading the 20c mintages on the RAM's " official " site is brain numbing, at best. Where's the reference to the 1995 Platypus 20c ? 58.6 million 2005 Platypus minted ? Further, where's the reference and mintage figure, amongst others, for the 2005 CoA 50c ?

It is extremely disappointing that the RAM, which, since its inception in 1965 (?), has consistantly minted some unique and outstanding world class coins, is incapable of printing accurate - or even reasonably close - mintage figures for all collectors to be able to rely upon with confidence.

Since 1983 I've " debated " the fact ad nauseum that there weren't any 20c coins minted for circulation between 1983 and 1993 and 1995 - 12 years. People would go to the RAM site and I was, to them all, mistaken.
Thankfully, it's a different story now.

In the most recent reply from the RAM, I was informed that the RAM coin mintage site is being revamped. Hmm !
My thoughts then were : yep, and I'll walk up Everest backwards .
Pillar of the Community
Australia
3083 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2018  07:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gxseries to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I guess what irked me the most is that even before questioning the mintage figures - the font and alignment are all over the place. This is something I find it extremely unlikely for a professional web designer to do so. To phrase it other way, when was the last time you saw a large company making such amateur mistakes?

Formerly nancyc
Australia
4862 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2018  4:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nevol to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
[/quote]Hmm! My thoughts then were: yep, and I'll walk up Everest backwards .[/quote] I'll join you. I reckon we stand a better chance of finding a 1916 Australian Halfpenny Mule each than getting accurate stats from the RAM.
A friend is a present you give to yourself.
Nancy
Pillar of the Community
Australia
538 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2018  5:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Basil to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I reckon we stand a better chance of finding a 1916 Australian Halfpenny Mule each than getting accurate stats from the RAM.

I won't start but this has always been the case with Oz. Mints.,heavily cleansed Records before official Govt. publication didn't help researchers many years later.
In the case of the Sydney Mint. official records were a shambles,one Historian speculated more Coins were going out the back door than the front in the final years before it was closed.
Canberra started off OK and since the $2 Coin Theft debacle they have tightened up all security/records aspects of Minting but its still hard to get accurate Info. on Mintages for some reason.
Edited by Basil
02/14/2018 5:28 pm
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1192 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2018  05:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mr T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
unless I'm missing something the 2014 $1 MOR had a total mintage of 6.2M according to RAM's Annual Reports https://www.ramint.gov.au/annual-reports

I believe the annual report was wrong - this was discussed somewhere though I don't recall the exact details.
Someone did alert them to the fact they got a decimal point in the wrong spot and apparently they were going to mention it in the following year's report though I don't know if that ever happened. There was a notice on their website about it though (under news I think) and the real mintage was in the order of 1,000,000.
Valued Member
Australia
258 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2018  07:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coaster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I believe the annual report was wrong - this was discussed somewhere though I don't recall the exact details

After reading this I checked my collection and saw that I had recorded a mintage of 1.1M for the 2014 $1 MOR's coin which, when I reflect upon how often I come across one, this sounds about right!
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1192 Posts
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.9 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05