Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1882 Large Cent Varieties  

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1011 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  5:08 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
1882 was a year of obverse dies obv1,obv1a,obv2 that produced some hybrid varieties coins for this year.

This year produced several varieties but the three major ones for this year are the Hybrid 2/1 regular with die crack at the C in Victoria the Hybrid 1882 obverse 2/1 double die and the Hybrid 1882 2/1 triple obverse die and I might add that they are very scarce and hard coins to find for your collection.

I went target hunting for these coins with no luck until just recently I hit my targets on both coins plus a couple other coins I was looking for from two different collectors from this forum helped me out in living my dream.

I have one other 1882 that I think is not as scarce as these coins but not easy to find either in a nice high grade I have heard it being called the 1882 Micro D in Canada as its similar to the 1881 Micro D in DEI but others have called it Quad D and that's what I will call it in the future.
Happy Hunting

Edited by papeldog
02/14/2018 3:02 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
1221 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  5:14 pm  Show Profile   Check gidjit's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add gidjit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
good job!
please check out my collection of large cents from 1858 - 1920 (under construction)
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...l=4b87156114
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1308 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  5:39 pm  Show Profile   Check canadian-varieties's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add canadian-varieties to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
papeldog...I'm glad you picked up the Triple Die...i noticed it slipped my hands...

Edited by canadian-varieties
02/13/2018 5:39 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1644 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  7:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Collecting all of the varieties of the 1882 is almost as neat/busy as the 1859's. You had Obv 1's, 1a's, 1a/1's 2/1's and strait 2's, not to mention the different single and full serif types. Add to that the overpunched N's in Canada and Regina, using up the rest of the old 1876 dies that all had single serifs and were laying around.

The 2/1 type 1 is normally found with a D/C through the C in Victoria and there are no repunched letters. Of the 21 2/1 type 1's that I have, there are 4 with no D/C in Victoria.

We didn't put the Obv 2/1 type 2 in the Charlton due to space limitations, but it's almost as hard to find as the 2/1 heavy doubling one(type 3). On the type 2, there is very heavy doubling of the denticles between Canada and Victoria and there is nicely offset doubling of the last 2 A's in Canada, as well as minor doubling in Regina. It's the type 3 with the heavily repunched letters that most people look for, but remember that there were only 3 Obverse 2/1 dies to start with .. by far the most 1882's are found with a straight Obv 2 or a 1/1a Obv, with a true Obv 1 (not the 1a/1)fairly hard to find. ANY of the 2/1 Obverses are keepers, but the type 2 & 3 are musts for any collector. Nice job, Jim .. your pictures and my words.

I have added this a day later. I've been asked how do you tell if you have an 1882 Obv 2 over 1 rather than just a 2 or a 1. A 2/1 will have the smooth, rounded chin & throat of an Obv 1 or 1a, but the crown tip will impinge into the bead at the top like a 2. The tip of the neck truncation will be like an Obv2, as well, with it ending to the left of the bead directly above the C in Canada and extending further past into the bead line. An Obv 1 points directly to, and almost touches the bead there and is above the bead. An Obv 2 is well to the left of that, between that bead and the next one to the left.

When making a working die, it takes 2 or more presses/whacks with the hub onto the working die surface. Before each press/force/whack the hub is hardened and the working die annealed(softened) to maximize the depth that the hub imprints the working die. These are not done immediately following each other .. it could be days between the first press and the 2nd or 3rd (if needed). In 1882, the mint was introducing the new Monarch Obv2 portrait, as well as using old Obv 1 and 1a Obverses. One of the hubs used in making these three 2/1 working dies was an Obv 1 and one was a 2 hub ... and presto, dies punching out 2/1 coins. Since the hub is making indents/recesses into the die, the largest/longest parts of the design end up on the finished product; ie, the fatter, rounded chin/throat of a #1 and the higher/longer portions of the crown tip and neck truncation tip of a #2.

This same process (hardening the hub and annealing the working die) with the time interval in between will/would produce "hub-doubled" dies that made hub-doubled coins ... when the hub wasn't perfectly aligned with the working die for the 2nd or 3rd whack.
Edited by okiecoiner
02/14/2018 3:07 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1011 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  10:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your kind words and congrats guys and yes I was lucky CV to sneak the TP from your radar screen not an easy task to find them all before you do.

I was hoping that you would add to the post okie fill in all the pot holes I left, I think by getting these last two coins the DD and TPD I have all the 1882 varieties.
Canada
41 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  11:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Muskokarocks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the post. I'm still trying to figure out this date. This will help.
Valued Member
United States
428 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2018  09:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A very nice collection papeldog!

There is a good marker to look for on the regular obv 2/1. The right foot of the A of VICTORIA is boldly doubled at the bottom. You can see it even on the full side photo you've posted.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1011 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2018  09:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Phil310 thanks for the nice comment.

I had never really noticed that A in Victoria before but it does have something going on with it. I'm not to sure what it is a die clash or doubling but it does look like the foot of the A is doubled at lower right under the A.

I only have the one 2/1 left in my collection maybe Okie can check his out for this doubling and see if it is a true marker for this coin I always checked for the die crack on the C of Victoria. This would be a very helpful Key marker if it is a doubled A.

Edited note: I just checked a 1882 2/1 regular that I had on watch on eBay and that is a key marker as it has the same A in Victoria that you speak of Phil310
Edited by papeldog
02/14/2018 09:48 am
Valued Member
United States
428 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2018  10:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hounddog Bill had mentioned this marker on a thread a couple of years ago.

I think he had some good photos of it back then.
Edited by Phil310
02/14/2018 10:16 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
535 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2018  11:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hounddog Bill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I believe this is the photo Phil310 is speaking of.
I just found the link.
http://goccf.com/t/246101
Edited by Hounddog Bill
02/14/2018 11:58 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1011 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2018  12:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a couple 1882 1a obverse coins one with single serif N's with the open bottom O in Victoria and the other one with normal N's.

The single serif N's were minted in obverse 1 and obverse 1a

The one I have with normal N's has a triple punched N in Canada and an double punched D in DEI.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1011 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2018  12:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To complete the 1882's that I have here's some picture's of the obverse 1 single serif with full circle O in Victoria.

Edited: correction a couple things 1st changed name of Micro D to Quad punched D, second changed name of full serif N's from obverse 1 to 1a/1

Same obverse but with the Quad punched D in Canada

Hybrid obverse 1a/1 with full serif N's

Then the obverse 2

If anyone would like to add to the post with pictures or comments please do.
Edited by papeldog
02/14/2018 2:51 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
625 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2018  1:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bosox to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are a few of mine to compare, that PCGS graded in December. When you go to the PCGS page, click on the photo to enlarge to full screen.

1882-H, Obverse 1, SSN, MS65RB (I think these are somewhat scarcer than most people think, not rare, but mildly scarce)
https://www.PCGS.com/cert/34606992

1882-H, Obverse 2/1, Type 1, AU-58 (the most common 2/1, but still somewhat scarce)
https://www.PCGS.com/cert/34606999

1882-H, Obverse 2/1, Type 2, AU-50 (pretty hard to find)
https://www.PCGS.com/cert/34606998

1882-H, Obverse 2/1, Type 3 DDO, XF-45 (very hard to find)
https://www.PCGS.com/cert/34606997

And, here are two more I bought a few years ago. Again, click on the photos and scroll/zoom in to enlarge.

1882-H, Obverse 1, SSN, MS65RB (again, mildly scarce)
https://coins.ha.com/itm/canada/can...yBids-101116

1882-H, Obverse 2/1, Type 1, MS65RB (very hard to find in this grade)
https://coins.ha.com/itm/canada/can...yBids-101116
Pillar of the Community
United States
1644 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2018  1:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The photo that papeldog has for the '8s Obv 1 full-serif N's is actually a 1a/1 Obverse, not a straight Obv 1. If you look at the neck truncation at the bottom, you will see the "tips" from both an Obv 1 and a 1a.

BTW, Rob, very very nice coins.
Edited by okiecoiner
02/14/2018 1:32 pm
Learn More...
Canada
7504 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2018  1:32 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Same obverse but with the Micro D in Canada

You guys have to stop calling it that... that is a "made up" definition by our very own Canadian Varieties back in 2011... who then had Louis (CCCS) put that description on a hard holder.

The coin you are referring to is a quadruple punched D, where one of the punches was offset to the bottom slightly, and rotated clockwise. What you are seeing is the illusion of a smaller letter, but I highly doubt is is an erroneously used D punch from a 10-cent legend. Even CV admitted that the term "Micro D" was used erroneously:

http://goccf.com/t/101657#854096

"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
United States
625 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2018  1:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bosox to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As opposed to the 1881-H micro D in DEI, which I think was the incorrect manual punch, probably for a dime or one of the other colonial coins.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.88 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05