Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ran Into A Herd Running In A Circle.............

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
3302 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2018  8:29 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add acloco to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
THREE LEGGED Buffalo nickels!! :)

One completed my Library of Coins set and another will be coming home with me in a couple weeks.

Pillar of the Community
United States
3302 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2018  8:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add acloco to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My selection.....

Bedrock of the Community
10197 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2018  8:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
May I inquire how much? (Before I say RIIIIIIGGGGHHHHT....) one should put you out 10 Benjamins. I would like to see pix in detail of the lost leg...easily removed with the right touch of a Dremel. 5 raw coins?... sets off the bells and raises flags to me, sorry.

EDIT: Need to get your money back my friend. Link to a TPG.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/1937-D-3...l13=&veh=sem

Your nickel has residual image and hoof removed. Last is reverse of above slab.

Edited by Crazyb0
02/15/2018 8:52 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3479 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2018  8:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, my name is MikeF and I'm a degenerate coin collector. I also like adventure, big trucks, long walks on the beach and the Kansas City Chiefs.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8236 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2018  8:55 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 37D 3 leg is not as uncommon as people might think, and there are at least 3 known die states with varying amounts of "leglessness", so to speak.

Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17406 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2018  9:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Considering the relative ease of turning a few dollar coin into a several hundred dollar coin I'd never buy one raw.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3302 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2018  11:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add acloco to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks!

My photography is not providing the detail needed by the hoof. Of note, the hoof is NOT supposed to be very strong on legit 3 leggers.

From NGC:
"On all legitimate 1937-D 3-Legged Nickels there is significant die erosion at the back of the Indian's neck, which looks "moth eaten."

"The second diagnostic is the line of tiny raised die lumps below the center of the buffalo, appearing almost as if it were urinating. These die lumps may not be visible on low grade specimens so their presence is not a requirement when authenticating."

Another source: "The best way to detect a fake is to look at the "P" in pluribus and the "U" in unum Those letters do not touch the back of the buffalo"

Another thread by a member on the same subject.

http://goccf.com/t/263122&whichpage=1
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10100 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2018  11:27 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice!
Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum.
-Lucretius

"Just because you're paranoid don't mean they're not after you."
-Kurdt Kobain

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Edited by spruett001
02/15/2018 11:27 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3302 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2018  11:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add acloco to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A touch better pictures. I provided more direct lighting and coin/iphone lense at little angle to each other.

Obverse clearly shows the "moth eaten" look at the back of the neck.

Reverse - P and you are NOT touching the back.
trickle spots under belly

IMHO, this is a legit 3 legger. Someday, I might send in, but actually purchased THIS Buffalo, for my album. I did not want a slabbed coin. Might sound weird to some, but I do not want an empty slot in this circulated buffalo book.

Besides having the pick of 5, I received a superb deal. This buff is XF all day long.

THANK YOU to each person that has responded. CrazyBo - thanks for nudging me for better pictures...AND your insight.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4658 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2018  01:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like the real deal to me.

Congrats!
Learn More...
United States
77253 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10100 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2018  01:58 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I totally understand wanting a raw coin for the album. I set my limit on what would be included raw in my Jeff album, and that limit varies with every collector & album. Seeing all of those Buffs in a multi-page herd is the reward.
Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum.
-Lucretius

"Just because you're paranoid don't mean they're not after you."
-Kurdt Kobain

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
41354 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2018  1:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hope you're right!
Pillar of the Community
United States
6091 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2018  8:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks great -- nice crippled Buffalo!

I don't understand, when the same diagnostics are available to the average Joe as to the TPGs, why people think a TPG is necessary to tell a fake coin.

I deliberately bought a fake for 2.00 off of eBay years ago (before they banned Big Tree Company) to study. I took it to my local coin shop and asked him to educate me.
He told me I did not need a fake one in hand and showed me the very diagnostic points mentioned in this thread.

To me saying a TPG is a necessity in this case is like saying a line I draw with a red crayon won't really be the same color as the one drawn by an "expert" using the same crayon.

- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Valued Member
United States
246 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2018  06:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add peaece13 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Totally agree with you Earle43

Congratulations to op on a nice 3leg for the album.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3476 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2018  08:38 am  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the education.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.9 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05