Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Thoughts On ICG Grading Service. Reliable Or Not?

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
1963 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2018  01:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coin197 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Put it this way: I use the grading services to sell my coins and to make sure the coins are genuine, as well as good protection. I do use ANACS, and they make blatant mistakes sometimes. But to buy a graded coin, I use my eyes and my head to grade, and I pay based on what I think.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4303 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2018  09:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will buy coins in ICG holders if I feel the price is correct for the grade that I feel is correct.
I will NOT send a coin to be graded by ICG.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2372 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2018  09:38 am  Show Profile   Check Paul Bulgerin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Paul Bulgerin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have purchased a few ICG coins that I felt were accurately graded.

The best two were an AU-55 Barber half dollar and a stunning MS-65 1911 Liberty nickel. I would stack those two up against any NGC or PCGS coin.

As others have said, but the coin and not the holder. There are some nice coins in non-NGC and non-PCGS holders.
Paul Bulgerin
Valued Member
United States
324 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2018  9:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BluegrassRiver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have several dozen and not been disappointed with one grade or believe them to be incorrect. Same thing for ANACS but probably have 50 of them
Pillar of the Community
United States
1281 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2018  07:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chute72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was on the phone today with NGC. On their holder was a mis-attribution for a Morgan VAM from the Hit List 40.
They all amke mistakes.
PCGS will sell higher, but it costs more to purchase in that holder, or to have put in that holder.
The TPG is just a tool, sometimes one makes more sense than another.
I will often buy ICG and not have to pay extra for the fancy wrapper.
Buy the coin not the holder. (If it is the coin you are after.)
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2019  7:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mtsaz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If the grading services graded fairly and honestly---we wouldn't need a grading service to grade the grading services, (the green stickers) and we wouldn't need to submit OBVIOUS DMPL/PL coins 25 times to get the proper designations. I have several ICG coins and they appear to me to be graded properly--I have no complaints. I have plenty of complaints with the other 3 though-when I have submitted proof like coins---they rarely come back the first time as PL. I've never used any besides NGC/PCGS/anacs/igc and have never submitted to igc- only bought igc coins but I have no reservations. You can buy them a little less- and I have sent them to NGC and had them come back exactly the same grade. (resubmit). SO---my experience is that they are completely legit- and probably more so- since they are trying to build a reputation.

The worst coin I ever saw was an ms64 isabella quarter that the guy said "way undergraded"----I wont say which of the big 3 holders it was in but they all grade some stinkers--how he got this grade is beyond me but he was unable to sell it(at that grade) it was very ugly.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12571 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2019  7:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
and we wouldn't need to submit OBVIOUS DMPL/PL coins 25 times to get the proper designations.

No one has to do that.

Quote:
only bought igc coins but I have no reservations. You can buy them a little less- and I have sent them to NGC and had them come back exactly the same grade. (resubmit).

You can't resubmit or even cross ICG coins to NGC.

Sorry but this post seems very much so like marketing
Pillar of the Community
Australia
700 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2019  04:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nealeffendi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Easy to send ICG coins to NGC if you first crack them out, perhaps that was what mtsaz meant. Only have one ICG slab and the coin is fairly graded, perhaps I got lucky and perhaps ICG is a decent TPG. As for getting PL on the top tier slabs...very hit and miss with some coins you know to be PL coming back MS (even have a florin that PCGS graded MS63 with the description "proof like" on the label, but they turned down reslabbing as MS63PL when the previous owner sent it in for reconsideration)
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12571 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2019  4:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Easy to send ICG coins to NGC if you first crack them out, perhaps that was what mtsaz meant.

Anytime someone claims they did something but doesn't know how to actually do it that a red flag to me.

Could you be right yes you could. But why wouldn't they just say it?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
683 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2019  5:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Optimist-numismatist to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you agree with the grade on the slab then yes.

Personally I rank them as probably the lowest of the tpgs, I find they grade more lenient/ over grade more then any of the other US tpgs (didn't know that was possible lol).
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2019  9:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mtsaz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have no idea what you are talking about "no one has to do that"----I cant tell you how many times I have sent in dmpl Morgan dollars in and have them come back as straight grade. I crack them out, resend. They come back straight grade. I crack them out, resubmit they come back with higher grade, and so on---and then eventually they come back "PL obverse", and blah blah and eventually, you get the DMPL that you should have got the very first time. Anyone who has sent in pl/dmpl morgans knows exactly what I am referring to.

I never said once I submitted igc coins to be reviewed by NGC. I said I had them resubmitted and they came back the same grade. CRACKED OUT. One was a 1921P Peace dollar graded ms 65 by igc. It came back ms65 by NGC. I felt confident it would too-or never would have risked cracking it out. I know that the NGC holder makes it much more saleable. I have no issue with igc coins- but the general public does.

I am well aware of the services offering the review- "if its the same grade we will reholder it in our holder or you can tell us what minimum grade you will accept" or something like that. I know that no one (that I know of) (maybe anacs) will look at anything in an igc holder. I have only sent in an NGC or PCGS coin to be reviewed a few times. And I only have cracked out obviously undergraded or coins that deserve the dmpl dsignation that were not given it.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.73 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05