Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Could the first Tubman 20 dollar bills be printed?

Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
United States
1578 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2018  12:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nfine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All due respect, I'm not sure most people with be able to tell the difference between a woman and the man on the twenty.
Remember, what the Dormouse said.
Edited by nfine
03/01/2018 12:57 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
546 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2018  1:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bud250r to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
*** Staff Edit - We need to keep this from becoming political ***
Learn More...
United States
60475 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2018  2:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Most folks may not know the dudes name, but I'm pretty sure they know it's a male, founding father or dead President.
Agreed. It is a familiar image that has been there for everyone's life.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1434 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2018  3:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
CoinWeek is reporting that a $20 redesign with a Harriet Tubman portrait is at least 10 years down the road.

https://coinweek.com/paper-money-2/...cy-redesign/
Learn More...
United States
60475 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2018  4:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The delay seems to be blatantly political, but we need to refrain from discussing that here. All have been warned to tread lightly.
Pillar of the Community
United States
626 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2018  10:25 pm  Show Profile   Check BadDog's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Seems to me that if the Congress wants this to happen then they could legislate it. After all, they continually legislate that the design of the $1 can't be changed
Pillar of the Community
United States
5445 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2018  11:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The delay seems to be blatantly political, but we need to refrain from discussing that here. All have been warned to tread lightly.

I hope just mentioning the other "shoe" in the set is not treading any less lightly than your showing us the first shoe. The implementation of this idea to begin with also was discussed in many places as being

Quote:
"blatantly political."

Our statements are two sides of the same...bill .

Quote:
We are disappoint.

I am not in any way disappointed. I would not mind seeing other people/scenes/artwork in the designs of the REV, but just like I enjoy the classic coins of old, the presidents (or Founding Fathers) have been honored by being the main OBV theme of our currency throughout the lives of everyone on this forum. The designs are a part of how we tie into our history -- which obviously, since it has been mentioned that most people cannot identify who is one the bills anyway, has been sadly taken away from (especially younger) people who are supposed to be the future leaders of our country. Our Heritage is too important to take for granted and cast aside.

The last thing I would like to see us do is to start going down the same path of some modern coin designs. I think of the Jefferson zombie-eyed nickel and "The Nose" quarter designs as just a few. There are some modern coins designs I like, but the AWs, ST Gaudens, and FG caliber of design is long gone.

The artistic talent has just not been up to par and seems to be waning as we go further away from the classics. When we look even further back, not all bills feature a place honoring our nation's highest office, but they were incredibly artistic and beautiful to see. Who does not love the design of the Indian Chief design of the 1899 $5.00 or the 1901 $10.00 Buffalo design?

I would love, if they DO started taking the presidents off, a return to the very patriotic themes and/or beautiful art work of old - which included other famous people.

- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Edited by Earle42
06/26/2018 11:23 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1108 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2018  11:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"Blatantly political" is why, IMO, we should go back to symbolic/allegorical/artistic designs for coins and currency and leave real people for commemoratives and medals.
Working on: Peace dollars (two to go), US type (Bust era), Chinese pandas, and San Francisco tokens.

"Fear is the enemy of will. Will is what makes you take action; fear is what stops you, and makes you weak."
-- Sinestro to (my avatar) Hal Jordan, "Green Lantern" (2011)
Learn More...
United States
60475 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2018  10:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I hope just mentioning the other "shoe" in the set is not treading any less lightly than your showing us the first shoe.
I did not show any shoe, the article did. Commenting on it is what I want everyone to avoid.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5445 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2018  12:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry jbuck, my misunderstanding. I thought your reply was commenting on the current status of the situation.

- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Learn More...
United States
60475 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2018  12:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nope, after reading the article I thought, "Oh no, this part here might stir up some stuff, better nip it in the bud."

I probably could have worded the warning better, but I needed to mention it without mentioning it. Tough to do.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5445 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2018  1:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, as a bonafide, card-carrying and active member of good 'ol Teddy's Bull Moose Party, I am glad you nipped it in the bud

- Real men play Fizzbin.
Learn More...
United States
60475 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
5445 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2018  5:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

- Real men play Fizzbin.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
28337 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2018  8:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Used to think jbuck could be bought off. Not so sure now.
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.32 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05