Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Where To Look For Varieties On The Single Squeeze Memorial Cents.

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 1,397Next Topic
Page: of 2
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50263 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2018  12:09 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Where to look for varieties on the single squeeze Memorial cents.

Again these are different than the multi hub die examples in the past. These are most often found in the center of the bays, but sometimes there are a few new types we don't want to miss out on finding all of them. So here are a few that I've found on John Wexler's site. Most of these I didn't know existed either. So when you come across something that looks interesting, set it aside and let us all take a look. New stuff is found all the time. So lets die in and see what I found as new:
Extra columns:

EPU:

Steps:

Inverted hubbing:

Ceiling:

Knees:

Legs:

FG:

Statue:

Stairs:

Arm:

Hope this helps. It is getting late here and I can fix issue in the morning.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Bedrock of the Community
26893 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2018  12:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coop, you did a great job on this! I've just learned something new today too. Some of the DDR's that you showed I wasn't even aware of. Thank you Coop for all of the hard work and effort that went into making this very helpful thread! It will help beginners greatly. This thread is going to be bookmarked so I can use it for future reference.
Pillar of the Community
5464 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2018  12:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Richard- Let me be the first to thank you or should I curse you. All great stuff but man it's killing my eyes. I need a scanning electron microscope for my searches!
Rest in Peace
10197 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2018  12:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ya had to go do it agin, dint ya? Making it a whole lot easier to just bookmark and copy/paste the link from now on! Thanks once again Richard for putting these tutorials together. I may just put them in a binder. I'll email ya later. too late tonight, my computer needs a break, starts bogging down when used too much per day, have to reset the logs I guess.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11483 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2018  12:52 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Inverted hubbing...now that's some great stuff!

Thanks for taking the time to put all of this together. It's an instant bookmark.
In Memory of Crazyb0 12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious 3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020

Oh that I was where I would be,
Then I would be where I am not,
Here I am where I must be,
Go where I would, I can not.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
38608 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2018  04:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Two of my finds are in those photos
Thanks for posting coop,I am sure it will help a lot of members.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1126 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2018  07:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lawest to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Wow! Awesome illustration and descriptions. I always look for DDRs on these memorial cents but didn't realize there were that many variances... especially the inverted images. Thanks COOP!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
5590 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2018  08:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a lot too remember will have to book mark for sure, thanks coop.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50263 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2018  09:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Often we look at John Wexler's site for just one specif die. Its when you view the whole scope of his information, then you see: what is out there to look for. So when you see something different, that is what to set aside for later. You just have to think sometimes about what you have. If it is damage, ask here first. If what you are seeing on a coin is raised, then it might be something. Damage is usually indented into a coin. But check to see. All credit does go to John Wexler. I just put the information into something useful as an education piece.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays

Pillar of the Community
5464 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2018  10:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
coop- It's here somewhere but I'm obviously overlooking it in your many threads and posting. Is there a one-stop-shop resource, database or website listing (besides the obvious Doubled Dies) the most significant finds with ballpark premiums they may hold?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2168 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2018  11:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Halo1st to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Been unable to locate specifically on Wexler's site.

Curious what Class does the Inverted hubbing from the single squeeze era fall under? Seems most examples shown are rotated a 180°.

Am I safe to presume its a Class I Rotated Hub Doubling? Thanks, Doug.

Follow up question. Are the Master dies and Working hubs also done with the same single squeeze process?
Edited by Halo1st
03/10/2018 11:55 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50263 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2018  11:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Most of the single squeeze errors are considered class 9. Some have additional classes added to them as the mimic more than one class. An inverted hubbing, was probably caused by the operator of the hubbing started the process, then backed off and repostioned the setup. Normally the hub process for these is just a single squeeze. One shot and your done. But for some reason it was probably interupted and re-hubbed on the inverted one. Most of the class 9 doubled dies are what they call snap into position hubbing. The hub starts off tilted, and when it starts making contact, then it snaps into the correct position. Leaving a distortion in the central area, that the complete hubbing doesn't remove.
We have seen this years ago where the only part doubled on a doubled die is the eyelid.

How does just one area of the eye area just be affected?
http://www.error-ref.com/?s=eyelid
Part II. Die Varieties: Doubled Dies: Class V (Pivoted Hub Doubling) Notice the 1966 cent information:

Quote:
1966 DDO-001 (FS-101) with pivot point at K7 shows strongest in TRUST and fades but is visible in the date, WE, the eyelid and edge Lincoln's coat.

If this rotation affected the devices like this and slightly changed the eyelid, it give us an idea that may have happened on the 2nd or 3rd hubbing. This created this doubled die without erasing all the rest of the design.
So on the example I posted earlier, the hubbing probably was the first hub of the die. It was out of alignment. So the die was hubbed a couple more times and it removed (they thought) all of the first incorrect hubbing. But the eyelid area was not changed because the hub didn't hub deeper in that area. If was a shallow area that was affected. So the eyelid is left and probably not detected by the mint. So a deep hub in a shallow device area leaves the eyelid still visible.
Richard S. Cooper

Edited by coop
03/10/2018 12:04 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
928 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2018  12:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add luvmyCAM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks coop. I had too adjust my method from singling out just key dates for scrutiny to looking closely at all coins in a roll. I was so frustrated my first year, this frustration lead to a desire for knowledge. Knowledge lead to proficiency and now I'm able to discern these minor variety. This site has helped me immensely. Thanks coop for your approach in sharing your experience.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50263 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2018  12:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What is nice here is that not just me, but desire to share what they have learned here. I feel that taking the time to tell what I see, helps others to see it also. So it is a community effort. You have a lot of coin family here.

coophome= Single squeeze Memorial reverse cents
Richard S. Cooper

Valued Member
United States
184 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2018  3:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bullnuke to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As always awesome stuff Coop, learn something every time I peruse your posts. I do have a question on the 2003D WDDR-1, from the photo if I saw this in the wild I would probably have discarded it as mech doubling as it looks flat and shelf like to me, what am I missing?

Kie
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50263 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2018  3:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 2001-2004 DDR's tend to look like MD, but they enlarge the devices a bit:
2001-D

2002-D DDR:

2003 DDR:

The first one does look like MD, but note the lower area hear the floor and the planter area?
2004 DDR

2004-D

Hope this helps a bit more.
Richard S. Cooper

Edited by coop
03/10/2018 3:41 pm
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 1,397Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.06 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05