Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

New to coins and website - confused about fakes on eBay

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
5 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2018  8:22 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Bullitt4248 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I thought eBay sellers are supposed to tell you if they sell copy coins or fakes/reproduction.
I noticed a few people selling items directly from (Not Allowed).com - they tell you coin is coming from over seas and will take a while. When it arrives it come direct from (Not Allowed) - they create and sell copy coins of all manner.
I started collecting coins as a retirement hobby/investment/money pit. What's the best was to test a coin for content ?
Thanks
Bullitt4248
Retired FireFighter
Pillar of the Community
United States
3547 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2018  8:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First off, welcome.

You're opening quire the can of worms here to start off.

Keeping this as short as possible, there are particular countries and web shopping sites notorious for selling "replicas" without disclosing them as such. Some eBay sellers are fronts for this activity. My best advise is to develop a relationship with a "bricks & mortar" coin shop in your area & to educate yourself on what you want to collect (the maxim you'll hear is, "Buy the book before the coin.")

Colligo ergo sum
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3132 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2018  9:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These are legal to make and sell in the country of origin. It's illegal to import or sell in the US (if manufactured afte 1973) without being marked COPY.

As you've seen lots of sellers don't follow the law.
-----Burton
45 year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Owned by four cats and a wife of 35 years (joined 1983)
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2018  9:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bullitt4248 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks - I bought the Red Book of coins and a world coin book. But I don't see much info on spotting fakes.
Well - I will try and buy from coin shops - some scrap buyers will sell their coins too. I tend to get obsessed when I do things - so far I bought Morgan's and Peace dollars.
I have always found and kept change - every time I travelled I through the change in a big water bottle with the rest of my finds. Looking forward to digging through them all.
Thanks for the pointer - please be patient when I ask obvious questions - Thanks !
Pillar of the Community
United States
989 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2018  9:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add paxbrit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fakes are a major problem, no way around it.

Rules are:

1.) Do not source anything from China, regardless of price, grade, being in a slab, whatever. Nothing. Also avoid US vendors who seem to have English as a second language. They may be fine, but maybe not.
2.) If the price is a real bargain, consider that the sellers know this and are looking for a sucker.
3.) Buy only from US vendors on eBay, and look carefully at their feedback.
4.) Buy from shops and shows, where you can see the coin first hand before paying for it.
5.) Get a good lens set, and examine good carefully. Legitimate vendors don't mind.
6.) Don't be shy about returning eBay items, or getting refunds.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3547 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2018  10:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Buy only from US vendors on eBay...

I'd add the caution that sometimes sellers purporting to be located in the U.S. are having their goods shipped directly from overseas. There's also the problem of hijacked accounts.

Quote:
Get a good lens set...

The other thing you ought to obtain is a digital jewelry scale, preferably accurate to a hundredth of a gram. Besides exposing underweight forgeries, this will also allow you to make a determination of a coin's specific gravity, from which its composition can be inferred. These scales can be purchased off eBay, often for less than $10.

Colligo ergo sum
Edited by Lucky Cuss
03/12/2018 10:59 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
6141 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2018  11:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum.
Pillar of the Community
United States
526 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2018  11:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add luvmyCAM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome. I keep my baying under $60.00 as a rule and also have developed buying relationships with sellers. They let me know when they list a coin I may have interest in. If I had to do it over I would have slowed down and learned my quarry first. 99 % of the coins I buy are from auction with old reputable dealers. Pick one series and stick to it. Actual coin shops do want to sell coins and I have 2 dealers whom move coins fairly and honestly. I learned fairly fast which dealers will deal and which ones cause a squeal. I'm lucky with the number of shops in Salem and Portland Oregon. Don't try and learn everything by Thursday :) If I knew 2 years ago what I knew now every coin in my 1909-1971 cent folder would be 2 grades higher at 30% less than I paid. Hang on, your in for the ride of a lifetime. Check out Heritage, GreatCollections, and your local shops. The ones you want are available if you search hard enough. I got burnt on the bay buying a 1980 DDO Lincoln cent, great learning experience. My score is 2 lemons and 3 good cheap cherrypicks at 15% book. I'm now very cautious and look for return policy's and past feedback comments.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3155 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2018  08:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF
Everyday is a great day. Semper Fi.
ANA number: 3178122
NTCA number:10118
My Wants List: http://goccf.com/t/188411
Learn More...
United States
63600 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2018  10:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Community!

Your post was moved to the appropriate forum for the proper attention.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11128 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2018  4:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just avoid sellers from Asia (especally China), deals that seem to good to be true, stick to graded coins from legit grading companies for more expensive purchases and 99 percent of issues will be avoided.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05