Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Trying to identify this Roman Bronze. Thanks  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United Kingdom
15 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2018  3:51 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add bhx7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi All

I am trying to identify this coin. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Learn More...
United States
21005 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2018  4:07 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a barbaric imitation of Constantius II.
United Kingdom
15 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2018  4:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bhx7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Would there be a reference online. I was looking at it thinking it was one of the "Falling Horseman" of Constantine but could not get my head around what that part was on the right of the reverse. It looks almost like a stylized bird!
Learn More...
United States
21005 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2018  4:21 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Te type does look like the fallen horseman type, I don't know of any reference related to barbaric imitations.
United Kingdom
15 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2018  4:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bhx7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks echizento, will start looking to see if I can find any reference down that route. Cheers
Pillar of the Community
United States
3190 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2018  5:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That reverse is just plain weird. It looks to me like the figure is holding a spear point down. That suggests the motif being imitated could be that of some Mars types. But the infidelity of the rendition is such so as to makes it a hard call. I can see where it might be a terrible copy of the "fallen horseman" design as well.

I'd echo the previous comment that so far as I know, barbarous coins haven't been systematically cataloged.

Here're some links to sites that can get you up to speed on this subject, though:

http://www.romancoins.info/Celtic3.html

https://www.numismall.com/acc/Ancie...ins-c-11380/ (Please note that I'm not endorsing this dealer for I've never had the occasion to do any business with them - but they have a really sizable inventory of examples to browse through.)

http://counterfeitcoins.reidgold.co...tatives.html (These last two websites both have sublinks specifically for the barbarous copies of the Constantine types, which would seem to be what you have.)

To my way of thinking, an ancient counterfeit is just as interesting a historical artifact as the official coinage it mimicked. Maybe even more so.

Colligo ergo sum
Edited by Lucky Cuss
04/14/2018 6:06 pm
Valued Member
United States
53 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2018  6:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, it's a fallen horseman imitation. Once upon a time, I was a serious collector of Roman barbarous. Three of the seminal references for this particular type are:

Pierre Bastien (1980), 'Imitations of Roman Bronze Coins, A.D. 318-363', ANS Museum Notes 30, pp. 143-177.

George Boon (1988), 'Counterfeit coins in Roman Britain' in John Casey and Richard Reece (eds), Coins and the Archaeologist (2nd ed.), London, pp. 102-182.

R.J. Brickstock (1987), Copies of the Fel Temp Reparatio Coinage in Britain: a study of their chronology and archaeological significance including gazetteers of hoards and site finds, BAR British Series 176, Oxford.

I own the first two and refer to them often. The third I have long been aware of but have never read.

There were two phases to the fallen horseman imitations. The first came soon after the reform of 348 which introduced the large FEL TEMP coins. Imitations of this phase tend to be nearly the size of the originals but a bit lightweight, sometimes overstruck on earlier Constantinian coins. The second phase kicked in when the large coins were replaced with an AE3 version just a few years later. Imitations of this second phase begin at close to official module but descend rapidly to tiny minimi. Examples from the Roman Temple excavation at Brean Down in the UK ranged from 16 down to 2 mm (no, that's not a typo!). This "epidemic counterfeiting" (as Bastien calls it) continued until the reform of Julian II.
Edited by Kushanshah
04/14/2018 8:46 pm
United Kingdom
15 Posts
 Posted Yesterday  7:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bhx7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks All. Your time and knowledge is truly appreciated.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.45 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05