Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Crazy Eye Appeal - 1968-D Washington Quarter - Please Grade

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
822 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  8:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CollegeBarbers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not sure I'd risk cracking it out, I think it looks great as is! That's quite the result for a 68-D, congrats!
Searching for some US modern coins (cents through dollars) via my want list.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
28833 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  8:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
67 Shield? Shut my mouth. Congrats.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1794 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  8:23 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Leave it as it is..Nice coin..
Valued Member
United States
106 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  8:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kevcoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm starting to think that posting super close-up pictures of coins can (sometimes) reveal minor defects that may or may not affect grade. For example, compare my original pics to the recent (slabbed) pics; it's like night and day. Or maybe I'm totally wrong. Just sharing my opinion.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5523 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  9:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't crack it out, you are never assured of that grade again.

Very nice quarter
- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
24024 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2018  04:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Retail value is around $93,just wondering how much you have into it as of now? Also wondering if anyone is going to pay retail because of the Machine Doubling?Just wondering all.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
106 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2018  4:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kevcoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
John1:
Quote:
Retail value is around $93,just wondering how much you have into it as of now? Also wondering if anyone is going to pay retail because of the Machine Doubling?Just wondering all.

Here's the story (keep in mind I bought these coins (online auction) in November 2017 and I started collecting in June 2017)...

I paid $40 for four mint sets (66,67,68,69) & $15 for shipping. They were not in the original mint packaging but in plastic set holders. The coins looked good as far as I could tell from the pictures and at that point I was focused on collecting silver Kennedy half dollars (my silver KHD phase).

I tried my best to evaluate the KHDs (without opening or taking them out of the holder) and just glanced over the rest of the coins. They seemed to be in good condition but nothing really caught my eye. So, I put the sets in a box in my closet with all my other modern era coins and shortly thereafter I was out of the silver KHD/modern era collecting phase.

About 6 months later and after learning that a 1969 Washington quarter is extremely rare in MS67 or higher grade I grabbed those sets and decided to open them for a closer look. I couldn't believe what I saw; most of the coins looked amazing. Especially the 1969 Washington quarter (see below...) and the 1968-D you can see in this topic. I have a 1969-D Quarter from the same sets I believe is at least MS67+ possibly MS68.

So, to answer your question; if you divide $55 by 20 coins I paid $2.75 for each, add $65 for the express grading fee (I know, stupid move), dropped them off at the Long Beach Expo and paid about $20 for return shipping. That comes to about $90 for the 1968-D. Not a great result but I thought it would grade at least MS67+. Learning experience.

Now here comes the exciting part of this long and drawn out story. I submitted the 1969 Washington quarter to PCGS and it came back... Click the link for results - https://www.PCGS.com/cert/35719750 - Pretty cool!

I paid $2.75, plus $65 express service and $20 return shipping for the 1969 Washington quarter. A much better result.

So I learned a few things through all of this:

1.) Don't judge a book by it's cover; you have to open it to read it. Pop a coin out of one of your nasty looking mint sets; you might find a hidden gem!

2.) I'll be extra cautious when submitting coins with Machine Doubling (as I did with the 1968-D feature in this topic). Probably never do it again, LOL. This is obvious to experienced collectors but I figured it wouldn't hurt the grade considering MD occurs during the minting process. It makes sense to me now. Lesson learned.

3.) Take a risk on a purchase once in a while; you never know what you may find.

4.) Don't overlook collector made sets. The four sets I purchased must have been put together by someone who knew the coins were special and wanted to preserve them. I'd love to know who's there were so I could share the results of the 1969 Washington quarter.

Thank you,

Bedrock of the Community
United States
24024 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2018  05:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can you post a pic of the 69 in the slab please? PCGS prices are much too high,look here and eBay sold values http://www.coinprices.org/cgi/usrar...proof=&plus=
You did real well on the 1969.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
106 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2018  6:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kevcoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My 1969 Washington quarter:

My Coin (Left) Compared to Another PCGS MS67 (from eBay):

Valued Member
United States
106 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2018  6:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kevcoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My 1969-D Washington quarter: Luster/Eye Appeal Are Amazing In Hand. Has anyone seen a Washington quarter (from this era) with comparable luster?

My Coin (left) vs PCGS MS68: I also included a close up image of the mint mark. Could this be a D/D RPM? I'll create a new topic.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
28833 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2018  6:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pretty special coin, I'll agree!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7163 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2018  10:04 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The heavy flowlines on such a late die state strike tend to pick up and reflect light in unusual ways, which can create some really amazing effects with the luster.

That 69D is a stone cold stunner, if it comes back less than 67+ I'd be furious with PCGS. Eye appeal is spectacular. I don't think it's an RPM, but an artifact from the worn dies.
Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Pillar of the Community
United States
3357 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2018  10:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow !! speechless
Valued Member
United States
475 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2018  01:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add luvmyCAM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Holy Toledo MS67? Well I'll be danged. I was going to say 64. Alright man you made out ok for sure. Its difficult to bring out a coins appeal in photographs and apparently your coin is snazzy in hand.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2843 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2018  8:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow! Jeeezzzz, that 68-D grade is shocking to me! I owe moxking, Coinfrog, SilverDollar2017 and BassPro an apology. I was thinking "NO-WAY" you guys are crazy! Now I know why I'm not a grader! All those hits, the hair lines look really weak or worn, plus I don't see any breast feathers?!?!?! I don't know, maybe the 68-D's weren't struck very well!?!?! I thought it would be fun to push back on this grade. Maybe I'll learn something. Why is no one challenging the grade of this coin? (not that it really matters at this point) Are you not seeing what I'm seeing?

Quote:
Does anyone have advice on how to remove gunk from a coin without damaging it? Are there certain cleaning products that don't alter toning/luster.

It's probably not worth it but does anyone think that removing the gunk from the coin and resubmitting to PCGS would result in a higher grade? I'd settle for MS67+ and be thrilled with a MS68 (although highly unlikely).

Were you thinking of breaking it out? Don't! I think you're way ahead of the game on this one! I really can't believe you got the grade you did! Congratulations! Outstanding results on your 69-D as well!

Look at the hair lines and breast feathers on these Mint States.. I don't get it. But again, congratulations!

https://www.PCGS.com/Photograde/#/W...ngton/Grades
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.29 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05