Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Dollar Bill Searching?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2018  10:15 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Monkey to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm fairly new to coin collecting. I know that people get rolls of coins to search for dates and silver.

Is it normal/productive for someone to get a stack of dollar bills from the bank and search them? much like coin roll hunting?

Idk if paper collecting is similar to coin collecting in that way, or if it's highly unlikely to find any special paper currency by getting stacks of it from your bank.

Thanks!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2112 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2018  10:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, many members visit banks to search through straps of paper money.
Just like coins, some paper money collectors rely solely on circulation finds.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
37725 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2018  12:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

to the Paper Money Forum!
Edited by Coinfrog
05/09/2018 12:18 pm
Valued Member
United States
112 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2018  12:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Occirats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Try it all and find your niche....It's about what makes you happy and peaks your interest.. "productive" from what I can tell involves some luck and chance in eit.her case esp. for a beginner who doesn't know every thing to look for..

So much to know. So much to learn...Here you can learn that's for sure.
Edited by Occirats
05/09/2018 12:19 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1100 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2018  12:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shotgung to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And a stack of dollars can be gone through quicker than a stack of pennies
Valued Member
410 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2018  3:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TJLang to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Every Saturday I give forty dollars to the credit union for forty singles. I search them for fancy numbers star notes old or new. Then take what is left to the bank and ask my friend for any dollar coins. I know she has 4 rolls of half's sitting there. Then I search for what I want. SAC SBA Ikes Presidents. Then I go back to credit union with what I don't want dump in coin counter checking rejected draw to get 2 quarter rolls. Then I go to supermarket for snacks and to check coinstar and then go home to look what I got. Sorry long Winded.
Valued Member
Canada
139 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2018  5:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Thehammer77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In Canada, I have the means to search $5s. There are 100 notes in a bundle. I search for fancy serial numbers and unc notes. I got a price guide and found out there are replacement and low printed notes to look for, I've found lots of good stuff.
My advice is to buy a book and it will say what to look for. You decide what you keep. It is very costly and most of the notes in circulation aren't in the best condition. It like crh can be very streaky, I've went from a few weeks of absolutly nothing to two rotator notes in one week (I haven't found one since). Don't get discouraged.
Pillar of the Community
United States
567 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2018  06:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cashhound to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
... Just like coins, some paper money collectors rely solely on circulation finds.

That'd be me!

to CCF
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.88 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05