Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Questions and discussion regarding the idiosyncrasies of album collectors  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
184 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2018  8:33 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add thisistheshow to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am starting this thread because I truly enjoy and learn from the responses on CCF and this topic is one I think many fellow album collectors will be able to relate to in one way or another.

I enjoy putting my coins into different types of albums. I feel it stops me from only enjoying the purchase and allows me to better enjoy the possession . Today I was in a coin shop and saw a 1935 Washington quarter, sorta-almost a lowball, but with some brown toning. So I bought it out of the 90% tray and put it into my album. My 32-64 set is almost complete. It is circulated and a lot of the coins from the late 40s and up have brown toning. I am trying to build a nice look which also allows for variation while maintaining some consistency. The 1935 put some brown on the first page and made it look better to me.

Do any of you continue to upgrade albums in such a way? Or just construct an album in such a way?

There are many variations to what I am asking. Essentially, do you have idiosyncrasies in the way you build your coin album? If so, discuss.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
1961 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2018  8:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do coin collectors have idiosyncrasies? Do ducks swim?

I would say that most coin collectors have a lot. I don't know any that collect and display in exactly the same way.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7795 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2018  9:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Or just construct an album in such a way?

The oldtimers always say to buy the keys first, but I've never really been able to do that. I find it very hard to be that disciplined I guess.
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7207 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2018  9:35 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
An idiosyncrasy is an unusual feature of a person. It also means odd habit. The term is often used to express eccentricity or peculiarity. A synonym may be "quirk".

Had to look it up. Yes, I would say I have issues, compounded with OCD.
Maybe in reverse. If I have a coin and it doesn't quite fit in with the neighboring ones, I get a little nuts and try to upgrade.

While reading the first post I thought of how neat it is to look at some sets people put together. There are collections of hole fillers that may grade the same as any and then there are some really attractive sets. Eye appeal is so important when choosing a coin.
I do know what ya mean here.
Edited by TNG
05/14/2018 10:32 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
14464 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2018  10:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am only of average quirkiness.
I have
four philias
three phobias and only
two manias.
That is within the normal range for most people.

Numismatics is one of my philias.
Sorry about not having any quirks regarding storage or display of my coins.
They are all in marked up 2x2's, in nonPVC album pages, in four ring binders.

Slabbing for the most part, does not sit well with ancient coins, so no slabs for me. Impossible to mark them up, anyway.

Spence is right; always go for the hardest to get first.
Edited by sel_69l
05/15/2018 12:04 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
1961 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  05:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

I agree with this but only up to a point. You need to be pursuing other things as well. If you spend all your time pursuing only a few things, it may be a long time between rewards, and that may not be very satisfying.

In other words, have several projects going on at the same time.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
14464 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  07:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Why?
The rare thing get rarer, the common things stay common.
The easier things are always easier to find, so don't buy those, unless the value for money is really good.
Edited by sel_69l
05/15/2018 07:25 am
Learn More...
United States
59010 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  09:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Disagree. I feel it is anticlimactic. If I bought the keys first I would only have the keys. Just my humble opinion, your mileage may vary.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1071 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  09:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stud722 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am currently working on my world coin collections. What I have done is organize 2x2 albums alphabetically by country. Within each country, I leave space for different denominations and years. If I get an upgraded coin for one that I already had in the album, I remove the lower grade and put that one in a 2x2 box. As you can imagine, the size of the album has grown rapidly. I am at the point now where a 4 inch binder only hold a few letters of the alphabet. So many albums, and many, many pages. It is a forever growing collection.
264 Countries and Counting!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4825 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  09:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When I started my Morgan dollar date set (which is now completed - I need to remove the "2 coins left" from my signature) I immediately went for the key date, the 1895, first. I got an 1895-O Morgan dollar in AG-3 condition as the first coin for the album. Everything else was a breeze.

Although I could see why others would go with the key dates last. You will be more motivated to complete the album.
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
Valued Member
Australia
220 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  09:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coaster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I am currently working on my world coin collections. What I have done is organize 2x2 albums alphabetically by country. Within each country, I leave space for different denominations and years. If I get an upgraded coin for one that I already had in the album, I remove the lower grade and put that one in a 2x2 box. As you can imagine, the size of the album has grown rapidly. I am at the point now where a 4 inch binder only hold a few letters of the alphabet. So many albums, and many, many pages. It is a forever growing collection.

I too feel the pain!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1497 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  10:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mysilveryears to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I dunno whether it is a quirk, an idiosyncrasy, or simply a personal peculiarity, but I despise 2x2's and slide-in-pocket ring binders with a passion. Any coin acquired in a cardboard holder is promptly removed, and the offending container tossed in the trash. On the other hand, I LOOOVE Dansco and Whitman-style albums with the plastic slides. I wish there were such albums made for every coin series on the planet. Since there are so few, I am working on a process to create my own. Meanwhile, I store my loose world coins in small poly ziplock baggies, from which they are easily removed without the annoyance of staples. These are sorted alphabetically, then stored in numbered and labeled cigar boxes, for lack of a better option. This way, any specific coin is always easy to find and to upgrade when necessary.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16765 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  10:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I too think it is a waste of time and money to go for the keys only first. Many do and get frustrated and loose interest in coins altogether. They find it is costing excessively and no completion in sight. Just collecting to have fun is so much more enjoyable and a future of a complete collection doesn't appear to be so impossible. I basically collect to complete Albums. My idiosyncrasy is I never can finish all my albums due to always attempting to improve each one. As an example I am now working on 12 Albums of Mercury dimes with each Album in better and better grades. Set one is almost completed with all FSB coins except the 18S. Even if and when that is done, I start on set 2 to do the same thing. No end in sight.
just carl
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.78 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05