Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1814 Large Cent Before and After Verdicare  

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
2105 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  10:02 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add trdhrdr007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Here's a large cent from a lot purchase. The lot was in an album with PVC. All the coins were given an acetone bath. The first set of pictures are after the acetone bath and the second set is after a VerdiCare soak.

Edited by trdhrdr007
05/15/2018 2:10 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1069 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  10:40 am  Show Profile   Check shotgung's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add shotgung to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, big difference.
Heading to Kilimanjaro June 30th, the first of my 7 Summit attempt
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16433 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  10:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Now that made a big difference.
just carl
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
25308 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  10:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Big difference, but not sure what you've really gained here.
"The value of something is what you can sell it for the same day you bought it."

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6956 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  12:08 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think because this is a tough series and a hard to find type coin, that doing this to your Classic Head Large Cent was a worthwhile effort since they don't exactly grow on trees without having issues at affordable prices anyway. I'd try another treatment.

(Since you edited and got the before pics posted I edited here & took them out before it was too late.)
Signature:
Sign Here X ____________________________
Edited by TNG
05/15/2018 4:32 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2105 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  2:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add trdhrdr007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Big difference, but not sure what you've really gained here.

Started out covered in PVC slime that was continuing to deteriorate the coin. Figured there wasn't any reason to let it continue to go downhill. Still is, and always will be, a details coin.

Quote:
I took the liberty of posting your images by using the brackets and img with the url's to save goin back and forth to view. Here's your before pics.

Thanks for the help. Been quite a while since I've been on the forum and couldn't figure out how to do that myself.
Valued Member
New Zealand
117 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  2:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Aoraki to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think you have improved the coin.
EAC #6558
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
849 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  2:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How long was the soak in VerdiCare, and how much did you use?
Working on: Franklin halves (now complete!), Peace dollars (62-63, four to go), US type (Bust era). What next...?

"Fear is the enemy of will. Will is what makes you take action; fear is what stops you, and makes you weak."
-- Sinestro to (my avatar) Hal Jordan, "Green Lantern" (2011)
Learn More...
United States
55951 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  3:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looking better, but I feel a longer soak might do more.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3218 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  4:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Only as an example..
2 months ago ,before dipping into olive oil.

As of today :

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3218 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  4:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Next step
Into Mobil 1 Synthetic Oil
We will see
Learn More...
United States
55951 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  4:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Next step
Into Mobil 1 Synthetic Oil
Pillar of the Community
United States
3288 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  4:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it should be soaked for a longer time period.
Collector of all classic US coinage.
Pillar of the Community
United States
985 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  4:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree with a longer soak. Might not work, but much more upside than downside. Nice job so far.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2105 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  5:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add trdhrdr007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I didn't keep track but soaked between 4-6 days and used enough to completely cover the coin. The VerdiCare became a blue green color overnight. After the initial soak I rinsed it off, dried it, & took the second set of pictures. It's soaking again now. If that doesn't get rid of the remaining green I'm considering another acetone rinse followed by another VerdiCare soak.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3218 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  5:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ jbuck ..
Nothing to lose

@ SilverDollar2017

Quote:
I think it should be soaked for a longer time period.

You are right ..
@ Zurie

Quote:
more upside than downside.

Done
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.88 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05