Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Does your spouse/significant other know how much you spend on the hobby?  

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Canada
32 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  8:32 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Cdncoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
My wife doesn't ask how much I spend on coin collecting and I don't tell her. I don't go crazy and really don't spend any more than what many other hobbies would cost me. However, I was recently showing her my latest purchase, which was a 25 cent banknote. She asked how much I spent on it. When I told her $60, she was somewhat taken aback. She didn't really care, but I guess was surprised how much over face value I would be willing to spend on certain items.

I'm curious to hear from the community how forthcoming they are to their significant other?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
849 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  8:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My husband doesn't ask and I don't volunteer that information. However, I do usually show off the nicer pieces I get and I let him know when I'm expecting something in the mail so we don't miss the delivery. So he has some idea of the quantity, but not the specific value of each piece.

That said, he surprised me a few months ago... He wanted a new TV. I didn't. "The one we have works fine. I don't want to spend that much." Without missing a beat, he said, "You spend that much in a quarter." He was right. He can't do math, but he can guess with astonishing accuracy.
Working on: Franklin halves (now complete!), Peace dollars (62-63, four to go), US type (Bust era). What next...?

"Fear is the enemy of will. Will is what makes you take action; fear is what stops you, and makes you weak."
-- Sinestro to (my avatar) Hal Jordan, "Green Lantern" (2011)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7870 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  8:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lately I'm at that point in coin collecting where all I have left is those expensive keys an semi-keys , and I've been buying them . So the answer to your question is NO ,I do not dare tell my wife what I've been spending on coins . They just don't understand !
Don't take life too seriously and remember it is just a passing fad ......
Michael Philip Jagger

Valued Member
United States
174 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  9:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mtuma3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
She doesn't ask and I don't tell...
ANA Member
Mark
Official Snowbird!
Illinois in Summer, Florida in Winter
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2936 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  9:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KenKat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My wife knows. I have a budget and I stick to it. She hasn’t ever audited me - she’s nice that way.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6947 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  9:19 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Does she know? I think so, since I don't spend money on anything else. We don't argue over money. She feeds the birds (squirrels) a couple neglected ponies up the road, a few barn cats that aren't ours and buys a lot of flowers. If we have money it's not a problem.
My justification is that I am not spending money, I am just converting it into "other money" so I am actually saving money.
But when I kick the bucket, I hope she is smart enough to get the most out of it.
Signature:
Sign Here X ____________________________
Edited by TNG
05/15/2018 9:22 pm
Valued Member
United States
117 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  10:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ariette to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not married so this isn't a problem for me.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5048 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  10:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yup. But b/c I find ways to make the hobby pay for itself, its not a problem. And I will not spend unless I have cash in hand. I have made some nicer purchases by setting the goal and working towards it.
- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Real men play Fizzbin.
United States
46 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2018  02:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DeputyMax to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As long as the bills get paid, the groceries bought, and we get our Sunday dinner out, my wife is OK with my purchases. She has her own personal spending money and neither one of us suggest what the other should spend our fun money on. We have kind of an unwritten rule not to question each other's reasons for our purchases.
Edited by DeputyMax
05/16/2018 09:01 am
United States
28 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2018  09:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add FlyFishGeek to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mine knows and she has her own coins. We buy each other coins all the time, she unfortunately tends to over pay when she finds something she knows I really want. Last years anniversary gift was 3 Morgans, all Carson city's. Two of which I already had, but we have a fast rule on CC's, if they are under X amount we buy them. I have been collecting my entire life, she was introduced to it by me so we could have a shared interest. Since she is fairly new, I can just buy her rolls and she loves searching them.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1332 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2018  09:35 am  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This would be me> < That would be her

She does not know. Maybe this is a more accurate depiction of what would happen to me if she did…

I’ve always assumed that’s a donkey getting its butt kicked.
Edited by chafemasterj
05/16/2018 10:46 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
25236 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2018  10:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Does she know? I sure hope not!
"The value of something is what you can sell it for the same day you bought it."

Bedrock of the Community
Australia
14173 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2018  10:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My wife couldn't have cared less about whatever I spent on coins, during the whole period of a very loving marriage. (I am now a widow).

Before we married in 1976, I sold a collection of about 80 Roman coins (with two gold) and an Australian equivalent of a complete 7070 set, which included 17 gold coins. I put all of the money from the coins into our first home, which was jointly owned. That collection would have been valued at something like $40,000 today.

If I hadn't sold the coins, we would have been forced to pay rent, which I thought would have been a complete waste of money. Paid the mortgage off in 1984. The home turned out to be a far better investment than the coins.

After we married, all of our life savings were entirely invested in her sole name.

Now you know why she couldn't have cared less about whatever I spent on coins.

These days, I am not a wealthy man, but at least I live in my own home, and have since re built a nice collection since we married.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1332 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2018  10:49 am  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry for your loss sel.

Great story. Glad you’ve been able to put a nice collection back together.
Learn More...
United States
55840 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2018  11:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
As long as the bills get paid, the groceries bought, and we get our Sunday dinner out, my wife is OK with my purchases. She has her own personal spending money and neither one of us suggest what the other should spend our fun money on. We have kind of an unwritten rule not to question each other's reasons for our purchases.
Sounds about right.

Quote:
I’ve always assumed that’s a donkey getting its butt kicked.
Nope.
Pillar of the Community
United States
977 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2018  3:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AcesKings to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

That's pretty much how it works around our house. She has her things she spends her "allowance" on and I have my coins.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.93 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05