Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Has anyone ever encountered rust stains on silver coins? (Barber Half Dollar)

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
775 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2018  6:49 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add thecoinguy1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
*** Edited by Staff to Add Year / Mintmark / Denomination to Title. Titles are Important! ***

I bought a Ziploc of Barber halves about 4 years back, here in the Houston area, which is prone to flooding of course, but many of the coins appear to have a "rust like substance". This is not the first time I've encountered this in the Houston are. I've never used acetone, might acetone take out this "rust substance"? If pictures will help, I'll post some later.
Thanks in advance
"When a strong man, fully armed, guards his house, his possessions are safe."
- Luke 11:21
Edited by thecoinguy1964
06/20/2018 6:52 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
28168 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2018  6:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pics would help, but this would not technically be "rust". Oxidation or corrosion of some sort from an unknown environmental contaminant, but not rust.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2097 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2018  7:07 pm  Show Profile   Check BigSilver's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BigSilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have seen the phemonena that you refer to, but don't know what it is.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
14465 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2018  7:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have even seen rust stains on a gold coin.
The explanation given is that the coin was buried in a steel box for several decades in damp organic soil. The box rusted severely in direct contact with the coin (half sovereign), and formed a complex auro ferro double salt, resulting in some minor corrosion. The presence of copper in the coin alloy would not have helped.
Edited by sel_69l
06/21/2018 03:14 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
2852 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2018  8:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I found something that looked like rust on some ben Franklin halves I purchased from a pawn shop in a Whitman album. I soaked them in acetone followed by a hot tap water soak and that got rid of it. Pictures are really needed here.
Hi, my name is MikeF and I'm a degenerate coin collector. I also like adventure, big trucks, long walks on the beach and the Kansas City Chiefs.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7806 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2018  10:35 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"Baseball gets you out in the fresh air and keeps you from talking about your neighbors."
-Lib Dooley

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Pillar of the Community
United States
2111 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2018  11:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I had placed a silver dime, silver quarter, nickle, copper cent and a counterfeit trade dollar on top of my hot water heater in a envelope to see how they would tone. I had forgot about the coins for a couple of years until my hot water heater was leaking. The top of the hot water heater was covered in heavy rust water and the envelope had rotted away. All the coins had a coating of the rust on them. I used acetone on all the coins, but some of the coins had a stain after the rust sediment was removed. The coin that the rust would not come off was the counterfeit trade dollar.
Edited by Slider23
06/21/2018 12:02 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
775 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2018  07:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thecoinguy1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I had my suspicions that the coins had taken water while stored away in a metal box. I paid accordingly for the rust/oxidation stains, got them less than melt. They are not very desirable coins as far as eye appeal, but they're good enough for me. I'll get some pics up later. I will also try some acetone, never have gone that route before, but I've read about it on this forum for years. Thanks again!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8706 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2018  07:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with coinfrog , silver does not rust. It's an environmental issue . Some stains can be removed from silver coins ,but keep in mind some can't . good luck with them .
Don't take life too seriously and remember it is just a passing fad ......
Michael Philip Jagger

Bedrock of the Community
Australia
14465 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2018  10:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That silver does not rust is true, but to get the idea of the effects of direct contact ground burial may have on an ancient silver coin, look at some of the lower valued examples of ancient silver coins, where wear has not been a major factor in it's degradation.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5530 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2018  12:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16917 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2018  1:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Rust is an ambiguous term. Basically used to describe Oxidation with Iron. However, rusting on any metal is basically combining with Oxygen and almost all metals will do that in some form or other. Such as Nitrates or Sulfates. With Silver, if in the area of any Chlorine or Fluorine and moisture, dark spots will be from those chemicals. And as anyone knows Silver does what is called Tarnishing.
another term for rusting.
If those spots are from any chemical reaction with the coins, removing such spots should also leave marks.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
775 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2018  3:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thecoinguy1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I finally got around to taking a picture of the coins in question.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/16232...sted-public/
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
688 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2018  6:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add two_tonevf35 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Acetone won't hurt anything, but I don't know how much it will help.
PCGS submissions 2005-2018. Mailings(21) Orders(43) / 249 coin attempts. 12 Fails(5%) / Member vouchers(19%) Economy(62%) Regular(13%) Free(3%) Express(3%) / Barber 50c (46%) Classic Commemorative (38%) Hawaii(3%) SCD (6%) Other(3%)/ Fails: Cleaned(2) Alt surfaces(1) Scratch(1) Damage(1) "86"(3) 2 Columbian & 1 BTW; Min Grade(2) DNC(2)-Same coin NGC XF40 Barber 50c. Express fees paid by seller (cross guarantee). Kept the coin & later submitted raw: PCGS XF40 [eyeroll] Fails: Econ(8) Regular(2) Express(2)/// Other TPGs: ICG (2011-2018): 35/35 NGC: 0 ANACS: 0
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
28168 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2018  6:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey, how about some pics?
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2018  9:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Namvet69 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm going to say that brown stain might be leached out of the paper. Flood water soup is nasty, toxic liquid. Get those coins out of the folder. Acetone dip cannot hurt. Peace Roy
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.9 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05