Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

New St. George and the Dragon token book  

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
79 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2018  9:01 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add 1960NYGiants to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Came across this new book on eBay and was wondering if anyone has seen or read it. I believe Doug (colonialtoken) was working on a similar book. Any comments?

Gene

https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-St-Geo...AOSwPkJbMDLp
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2061 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2018  9:08 pm  Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I believe that is from another member here, but not Doug.

Haven't seen it in hand but tempted to order (until Doug's hits the shelf)
Valued Member
Canada
269 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2018  9:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add castor to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good evening

You can see the story behind the publication of this book by a member of Numicanada.

This is a message in French that includes 26 pages on this forum.

Very serious work done by this person.

http://www.numicanada.com/forum/vie...f=13&t=20947
Canada
14 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2018  03:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ainsivalavie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Being the author of this book, I may not be the one who can give you the most objective opinion on the quality of its content. However, perhaps I can explain the project behind this book.

So, at the beginning few months ago, I only wanted to transcribe Courteau's work for my own use, making it a little clearer and less condensed. Those who know Courteau's original work know what I mean, with all 319 descriptions described on as few as 26 pages smaller than letter size.

But after I finished the transcript, I thought maybe I could share it with others.

However, once the first copies were sold, I got caught up in the game and started to improve the content with each revision, adding more photos, descriptions, and ways to identify the varieties more quickly (Synoptical Table). I also made various corrections in my work, but also in Courteau's original.

Thus, the last revision I propose for sale has little to do with the first copies I proposed.

Another point, this one is in no way comparable to the work undertaken by Doug (ColonialTokens), who I must admit is phenomenal given the dozen descriptions of Courteau varieties that I read on the forum. Especially since it uses text descriptions instead of photos.

I don't know if he did all the work alone, but to give you an idea of the task, this series of tokens for the 4 years of issue was struck at over 11 million copies. This is more than for the 1 cent 1858 and 1859 combined, and therefore could be compared +/- to the work that Dr. Haxby undertook for the identification of the dies used for the 1 cent 1859.

Note: Sorry if I can make grammatical errors in my post, my written English is still not perfect, but I'm working on it.
Edited by ainsivalavie
07/01/2018 03:58 am
Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2018  10:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1960NYGiants to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ainsivalavie - thank you for your response.

Will you be attending the RCNA in Mississauga in August? The Canadian Association of Token Collectors will be holding a meeting then. If yes, bring several copies, I'm sure you would have some buyers, me included.

Gene
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2061 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2018  11:39 am  Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wasn't intending to minimize your work by throwing Doug into the mix, I've just been eagerly awaiting his publication for a while now.

The pictures you posted here show much more detail than the ones on eBay (the eBay pics are a bit fuzzy - was unsure of the quality of the print).
In fact they convinced me to order a copy!

Canada
14 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2018  1:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ainsivalavie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@1960NYGiants:
No, unfortunately I don't think I will be at RCNA in Mississauga in August. However, perhaps by then I will find a merchant, or someone else, interested in bringing some copies.

@Wade:
Sorry for the photos on eBay, the resolution of the ad photos is probably too low. But don't worry, the print is clear and on very good quality paper (32lbs). Otherwise, thank you for your order.

Another example:
Edited by ainsivalavie
07/01/2018 1:15 pm
Learn More...
Canada
7889 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2018  5:37 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ainsivalavie, to CCF.

I am always impressed with the will of the Quebecois collectors willing to put their knowledge into paper. I am experiencing this first hand, working with Christian Houle on a small cent variety/error book...

I don't collect this series, but I applaud your efforts.
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Canada
14 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2018  9:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ainsivalavie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I am always impressed with the will of the Quebecois collectors willing to put their knowledge into paper. I am experiencing this first hand, working with Christian Houle on a small cent variety/error book...

I don't collect this series, but I applaud your efforts

Thank you SPP-Ottawa. Maybe it's different for the others, but I always found it more stimulating to learn when we shared the accumulated knowledge.

Otherwise, I've been on CCF for a few years, but I must admit that I rarely publish comments. Probably because I have some difficulty writing with Shakespeare's language (Unlike reading where everything is correct).

I'm happy to hear that you are cooperating with Christian Houle for his book. I myself cooperate in my own way, but very modestly, by providing him with a photo for one of the varieties present in his book. I can't wait to see the final result.
Edited by ainsivalavie
07/02/2018 10:01 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
7080 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2018  11:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I ordered this book.
Pics seem invaluable.
Post a review, of sorts, when I get it.

"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3881 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2018  11:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ ainsivalavie
To the Forum.
Canada
14 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2018  12:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ainsivalavie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@DBM: Thank you,
And if you have any criticisms or corrections, don't hesitate to let me know.

@Dorado:

Otherwise, a little question: With the exception of Doug (ColonialTokens), are there other connoisseurs of Courteau's work on this forum regarding this series of tokens?
Edited by ainsivalavie
07/08/2018 12:20 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1930 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2018  05:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, there are a few others, but none as heavily involved as Doug.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2061 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  10:07 pm  Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My copy arrived today,

quality of print/paper/binding B+
layout B+
ease to follow A
quality of photos A+

+nifty tables & checklist at the back

overall a GREAT publication and honestly much better than the eBay listing leads one to expect

Canada
14 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2018  10:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ainsivalavie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Wade...

So your review is encouraging. However, I would have liked to know why you gave it a B+ for «Quality of print/paper/binding» and «Layout», just to see if I could improve things.

Because I am currently working on a possible second edition that would be more extensive. But it's still hypothetical for now.

Other clarification, normally the cover page is not like the one you received. But there was a problem at the printer's. So I had to improvise...

And finally, I put an online version of the checklist (PDF) in case you or someone else would like to print a copy. Unfortunately, I don't know I can post a link on the forum at the moment. But I'm doing the test anyway.

http://numinfo.alwaysdata.net/pdf/c...-2018-07.pdf

And once again, sorry about my far from perfect English.
Edited by ainsivalavie
07/13/2018 10:30 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2061 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2018  4:44 pm  Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the cover page is the only thing that was an issue (very minor detail and you explained it)

everything could've gotten an A, but then the photos would've had to get an A++++++++++++++++++++++++

the pictures are a real standout.

I don't think you need to change anything
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.75 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05