Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Looking for some Dansco Album advice

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
50 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2018  5:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Krazy Kermit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One thing I see about the Whitmans are that there are spaces for proof coins, which I never gave thought to collecting so now I have to ponder some more...haha
Learn More...
United States
61451 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2018  6:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do note that there are two versions of the Dansco. One that includes the proof only issues, one that does not.

Proof only means that the coin was only issued in proof for that mint, typically the 1968 and later San Francisco coins.

Sadly, for the years that Philadelphia (1964 and earlier) and San Francisco (1968 to 1975 cents, 1968 to 1970 nickels) issued both proof and business strikes there is only one hole so you have to choose which to put in it.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8758 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2018  2:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another difference... unless I am mistaken, Whitman does not produce slip cases for their albums.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17017 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2018  2:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also, note that Dansco is made in the USA and Whitman is made in China. Also, Whitman is actually Harris which bought out Whitman but kept the name. One thing that always irritates me about Dansco is the empty places at the end of the Album. Pages are made the same regardless of how many coins are needed. No other manufacturer of Albums does that. Possibly a good or bad thing about Whitman Albums is so many have the cover large enough to add many additional pages. For example I can put two complete sets of Mercury dimes in one Album. As many as 10 Pages in a Lincoln Cent Album. Most Dansco Albums have the cover only big enough for what is needed page wise.
just carl
Valued Member
United States
50 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2018  7:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Krazy Kermit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well correct me if I am wrong Whitman albums appear to not have a State Quarter Album that has spaces for P, D & S? I am only finding date set or P&D, but yet it seems to be the only coin set left out, which to my OCD mind makes no sense...haha

Can someone confirm that I am correct or incorrect and if incorrect where would I be able to purchase the album?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8758 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2018  7:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You know what, it looks like you're right, KK. I never noticed that until now -- I use a Whitman Statehood album for P&D finds from circulation and Danscos for PDSS from mint sets.

Funny that they do have an album for 2009 - Date with the page labeled for PDS of the territory quarters.

I guess you could do a generic Whitman "Coin Album" binder with blank quarter pages and label them yourself.
Valued Member
United States
50 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2018  9:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Krazy Kermit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I also believe the Presidential dollar does the same thing, and from what I am to understand the companies thoughts are have 2 albums a P&D and put the proofs in a date set album. I also noticed they do not make modern albums for anything older than Barber aged coins as well. So I guess each company has their respective pros and cons.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.53 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05