Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1857 Seated Quarter for grading  

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
1021 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2018  6:11 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Steelers72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Raw coin with not the best pics. It is attributed as Briggs 7-G (Proof Dies)
(R4) Very Scarce Thoughts?

Pillar of the Community
United States
5211 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2018  6:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ms64
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15494 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2018  7:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Technical Grade Proof 65. Eye Appeal 7/10.

I didn't think the 7-G had that obverse die crack. Different progression?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
26599 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2018  7:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PR-64, but I'd really like to see sharper pics.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1021 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2018  9:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Steelers72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
More pictures:

Valued Member
United States
323 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2018  9:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Heymikep to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it is a proof then the price is right.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4196 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2018  08:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PR-64
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12753 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2018  7:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PR-64
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4287 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2018  6:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MeadowviewCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
At the moment my Briggs book is misplaced and I am far from an expert on Seated coinage.

Let's break this down:

US Mint didn't keep track of mintage numbers for proofs prior to 1858. The number of dies required would be a pair or two.

After striking limited numbers of proof coins, the dies could be and sometimes did strike circulation coins.

Just because a coin is struck with dies that had been used earlier to strike proof coins-- DOES NOT make it a proof coin.

I think some saw the words Proof dies and assumed it to be a proof coin automatically.

-MV
I'm slowly building my numismatic library--106 works and counting

With assistance, trying to compile a listing of numismatic reference books & materials available to collectors http://goccf.com/t/174749
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4287 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2018  6:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MeadowviewCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

With assistance, trying to compile a listing of numismatic reference books & materials available to collectors http://goccf.com/t/174749
Pillar of the Community
United States
1021 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2018  6:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Steelers72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Meadow- spot on. It is just the reverse I believe. Thanks for the examples and the information!!

This is the coin in hand. I feared this coin was cleaned at first based on the pictures, but it has lovely cartwheel luster in hand.

Any comments on these new pics appreciated!!

Taken multiple pictures to show luster. Very vibrant cartwheel luster best shown in a video.

Close ups taken under a direct light source

Pillar of the Community
United States
5211 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2018  7:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ms63 based on updated pics showing more marks. nice luster.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
26599 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2018  7:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree, something closer to MS-63. Scratch my first grade.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4196 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2018  7:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with MS-63. Disregard my earlier grade.
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4287 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2018  8:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MeadowviewCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

MS-63

Pillar of the Community
United States
3047 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2018  08:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Prethen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm kind of curious how this coin eluded being holdered for so long. It's pretty incredible to see really nice, spot free 19th century silver type to begin with.
Specializing in 2-3-20 cent pieces and 19th Century Proofs
Did someone mention 3CN?
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.69 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05