Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1883-O Morgan Dollar for grading vs. old NGC brown, VAM 19A tilted field

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7158 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2018  6:50 pm Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Spotted this one and wouldn't have paid it much attention among countless other 1883-O's but while checking the reverse for O/O varieties, I saw the clash and the eagle's right wing, then checked the obverse and grabbed it straightaway.

This is a scarcer VAM 19A known as a "tilted field" VAM. The diagnostic die scratch on the eagle's upper right wing and the unique die cracks below BUS are pretty reliable pick-up points. The seller's photos I am using here don't really show the triangle-shaped die crack below BUS -- you can look on the VAMWorld website at 1883-O VAM 19A for better photos -- but all of the other markers are present. The section of field above the cap enclosed by the die cracks appears to be "tilted" relative to the horizontal surface of the coin.

It's in an older brown NGC holder, the generation one or two later from the no-line holders. How do you think NGC graded it?

Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Pillar of the Community
United States
8558 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2018  8:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice grab Adam, I have an example graded MS-64 by NGC and this appears as it should be at least MS64 as well.
Member SSDC
Pillar of the Community
United States
5668 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2018  9:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
64+ nice luster
Pillar of the Community
United States
6102 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2018  9:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS-63
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
Pillar of the Community
Korea, Republic Of
1877 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2018  9:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Matteproof to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS63z
Bedrock of the Community
United States
13637 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2018  12:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS-64
Pillar of the Community
United States
6447 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2018  2:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
nice even halo. for me its a tweener. between 63 and 64. MS63+
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
28787 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2018  4:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Awfully close to 64. I'm torn. Beautiful coin!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2132 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2018  5:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
United States
3893 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2018  5:28 pm  Show Profile   Check Adam_E's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think this is a solid 64, nice pickup! I've always liked the subtle rim colour contrasted with the white devices
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7158 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2018  8:39 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for all of the comments! NGC said 64. My eyeball grade was 63, so that's fine with me.

Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
28787 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2018  9:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats, well deserved.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
83 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  1:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kaddyshack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very Nice Morgan dollar.
Valued Member
United States
177 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2018  02:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AgDigger to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beauty!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.71 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05