Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Opinion Wanted: Raw 1916-D Mercury Dime

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
679 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2018  09:13 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Go-Rebels to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Pillar of the Community
United States
4305 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2018  09:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are so many fakes that I wouldn't even stop to consider that coin.
And the seller, well, he has a poor reputation.

ANY 1916-D dime should be slabbed.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9078 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2018  10:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The shape does appear wrong. The sad part is this seller has quite a following of loyal customers that will likely bid this coin above FMV and the winner will be happy with it....
Member SSDC, TNA
Valued Member
United States
430 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2018  10:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kylecolb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have never bought from him, I was unaware he carries a bad reputation?

I try to buy slabbed coins anyways so I steer away from his raw coins.
United States
1 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2018  10:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add singingland to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi. New to the forum. What is the difference between slab and raw?

TIA,:)

Elizabeth

Pillar of the Community
United States
3942 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2018  11:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When it comes to GSO I'd never purchase their coins anyway because they're known to take very...generous photos of their coins, especially BU coins.

However, I would think that they'd be trustworthy enough to buy raw key date coins, I personally would bet on it being real, but I could be wrong. GSO has sold key dates before raw with no issues.

Elizabeth, a slabbed coin is a coin that has been authenticated, graded, and holdered by one of the top 4 Grading services (PCGS, NGC, ANACS, and ICG). Raw coins are not.

Generally when you purchase key date coins you would want to buy one thats been "slabbed" in one of their tamper proof holders so you dont have a question about the coins' authenticity(unless the holder itself is fake but that's pretty unlikely, at least less likely than a fake raw coin).
Edited by Adam_E
07/29/2018 1:28 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
7572 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2018  11:24 am  Show Profile   Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unfortunately you can buy as many fake slabbed 1916-D Mercs as you want.
Oregon coin geek.....*** GO BEAVS ! ! ! ***
Valued Member
United States
430 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2018  12:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kylecolb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the photographs GSO takes were always what threw me off. They always seem "doctored" to me.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6139 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2018  1:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
ANY 1916-D dime should be slabbed.

Or simply look here on this forum - as the OP did already - for learning how to tell if they are fakes. Its not rocket science.

No coin SHOULD be slabbed - its a nice option, but unnecessary.

- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11997 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2018  1:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
No coin SHOULD be slabbed - its a nice option, but unnecessary.

I disagree , I will buy a slabbed coin for it's authenticity not for it's grade .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42703 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2018  1:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Same. There are many frequently counterfeited coins that I would never buy raw.
Pillar of the Community
United States
895 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2018  2:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thisistheshow to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Unfortunately you can buy as many fake slabbed 1916-D Mercs as you want.

Can you elaborate on this?
Pillar of the Community
United States
7572 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2018  5:39 pm  Show Profile   Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We keep the site secret .
Oregon coin geek.....*** GO BEAVS ! ! ! ***
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6737 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2018  5:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not an expert on this series - in particular the diagnostics for this key date coin.

That said - I tend to avoid raw key date coins such as that are outside my personal area of expertise.

That should suffice to protect all of you - raw or slabbed - knowledge is the key.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
679 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2018  6:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Go-Rebels to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Of the four die states, these genuine die states are the closest match. You tell me.

Great Southern Coin:
Edited by Go-Rebels
07/29/2018 6:17 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2430 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2018  6:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My consern would be the condition of the D does not match the grade condition of the coin. The D on this coin shows little wear compared to the rest of the coin. The D looks like it belongs on an AU or better coin.
Edited by Slider23
07/29/2018 6:42 pm
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.12 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05