Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

New to metal detecting—some tips to help please

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
142 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2018  10:36 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Imag8r to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Wife got me a bounty hunter tracker IV to prob get me out of her hair—well I have done my whole yard and 3 pennies and alot junk(alot aluminum stuff-nails-part of a windsheild—and about half the time dont find anything when its beeping—beside the beach any other areas to metal detect without impinging on property I shouldnt be at—also what setting would you recommend to avoid all the tin cans I pick up—any other tidbits of knowledge would be welcomed—thanks
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8913 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2018  11:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I haven't detected in years but , if your metal detector has a discriminating mode use it adjusting different settings of discrimination . You'll get used to finding targets when your machine beeps . a pinpointer will help a lot . Like they told me ; you have to put the time in to be successful .
Don't take life too seriously and remember it is just a passing fad ......
Michael Philip Jagger

Valued Member
United States
336 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2018  12:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ty88ty2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pinpointer is highly recommended. It can be difficult finding things in your plug sometimes, I can confirm that!
Valued Member
United States
142 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2018  08:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Imag8r to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a pinpoint and still alot of times cant find anything—i dont want tear up good chunk of turf—-also any ideas where to hunt other than beaches
Pillar of the Community
United States
3490 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2018  05:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I edited my post because I wasn't very helpful in advice given towards the Bounty Hunter tracker IV. It's a decent starter machine until you might upgrade. Now, all I can say is read, read, read the manual or do an online search for more help. NumisRob has mentioned "air testing", good advice. I started with a coin "garden", burying specific coins at certain depths in my backyard. Keep in mind that when you discriminate certain metals, you lose some depth. Try and keep the dirt 'plugs' that you make small, and always fill those holes. Some hunters use a screwdriver to pop shallow coins, instead of digging. Works good in parks where you have to be careful.

As far as places to detect + school yards, city and county parks, private yards (with permission of course), dirt parking lots, etc sometimes you have to think outside the box though, for the good stuff. Good luck.
When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors...reluctantly

Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since '72
Edited by fistfulladirt
08/11/2018 08:17 am
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
4095 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2018  07:12 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've owned three different discriminators and the settings are all different. I'd experiment 'in air' with a few objects such as tin cans, pieces of tinfoil, bottle tops, coins of different metals, until you find a setting where you can get something like a silver dime but screen out most of the junk. In the UK my biggest bugbear are those pull-off rings that were on drinks cans in the 1970s and 1980s. They are almost indistinguishable from a hammered silver penny on my current machine!
Valued Member
United States
394 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2018  5:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hozer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Try a smaller coil
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2018  6:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Namvet69 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Practice on known items, coins, pieces of metal of all types about the size of a coin. See what your detector says, what sound, length of sound, pitch of sound, does it assign a numerical designation? If you get a depth and you dig down, you need to pinpoint the object with your coil. Pinpoint does not necessarily mean the center of the coil. A dedicated pinpointed is your frien d. Or grab small handfuls of the dug soil and pass it over the coil head. It a metal item is in your hand it will sound off. Oh yeah, do not wear rings or a watch. Peace Roy
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.15 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05