Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Morgan Dollars To Be Graded

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Learn More...

United States
29 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2018  7:08 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Stewillard to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Since deciding to complete the Morgan dollar collection started by my father 60 some years ago I've learned a bit, added many and am understanding the value of graded coins. A few of my Morgan's, sitting on the side, might be candidates for grading. I plan to carefully remove accumulated grime and select candidates for grading.

What are the common minimum standards that might justify grading? Would the same criteria apply to other type coins?
Pillar of the Community
United States
8714 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2018  7:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pictures of the coins you wish to have graded would help.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4237 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2018  7:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My personal rule of thumb is that I have to believe that for a single coin submission it's value has to be about $200.
The more coins submitted as a group reduces the perceived value but $150 each is the lowest I'll go.

Many others operate under approximately the same guidelines.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11931 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2018  8:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GR58 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The biggest factor for submitting a coin, will be value. Everyone might
have a different standard. For me I would like the Morgan to be valued
at $150 or more, when sent into NGC or PCGS.

I use a less value amount for ANACS.

I like to look at the my extra Morgan dollars, and try to select some that might
grade MS 64 or possibly a higher grade. If better date Morgan's, for example
1894 S, I would submit XF 45 or higher.

I would suggest researching each coin to determine what the possible grade
the coin would receive, and what the value would be.
Learn More...
United States
29 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2018  10:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Stewillard to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I'll do the research and get started. It's unlikely I have any great coins but going through each will be a good learning experience. I appreciate the help, thank you.

Bill
Pillar of the Community
United States
3305 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2018  11:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add acloco to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Before you do this, " I plan to carefully remove accumulated grime and select candidates for grading. "......would you post pictures?

As a collector, I would rather see grime than a coin that might be "enhanced", "conserved", or "cleaned". :)

Pillar of the Community
United States
3479 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2018  11:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
A few of my Morgan's, sitting on the side, might be candidates for grading. I plan to carefully remove accumulated grime and select candidates for grading.

I wouldn't recommend it. You don't know what you're doing yet. Chances are, after you 'work' on those coins they will end up in details holders due to your 'work'. I also wouldn't recommend using the 'conservation services' offered by the TPG's. I've seen way too many disasters over the last year.

Coins 'conserved' by tpgs end up in details holders as well. It's best to evaluate on a case by case basis. Post pictures of the coin that you feel needs cleaning and we will do our best to give you objective advice.

PS: Watch for the TPG loyalists to swarm over my criticism of their conservation services.
Hi, my name is MikeF and I'm a degenerate coin collector. I also like adventure, big trucks, long walks on the beach and the Kansas City Chiefs.
Edited by MikeF
09/11/2018 12:23 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12472 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2018  05:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I also wouldn't recommend using the 'conservation services' offered by the TPG's. I've seen way too many disasters over the last year.

Coins 'conserved' by tpgs end up in details holders as well. It's best to evaluate on a case by case basis. Post pictures of the coin that you feel needs cleaning and we will do our best to give you objective advice.

PS: Watch for the TPG loyalists to swarm over my criticism of their conservation services.

Has nothing to be with being a "loyalist" and everything to do with actually painting an accurate picture of their services. One TPG yes you can argue is a waste as they short change what they will do for a flat per order fee.

The others do a very good job overall but nothing is perfect. Most of the times when a coin still goes details or looks worse its because the doctoring was removed and exposed what was covered up.

Every now and then a coin gets messed up from the chemicals which is no different than anything else in life. They all do good work, one of them doesn't do enough work though and seems to have a limit of how many they will do per order but none are incompetent and 3 of the four get used a lot.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8714 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2018  08:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pictures are needed to accurately tell whether these coins are "TPG-worthy." Also, do NOT remove any grime on the coin - those will make the coins "details" problem coins and they probably won't straight grade at a TPG.

Quote:

Edited by SilverDollar2017
09/11/2018 08:49 am
Learn More...
United States
29 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2018  10:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Stewillard to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for identifying your criterion for submitting a coin for grading.

Regarding cleaning; I certainly do not know the process to thoroughly "conserve" a worthy coin but I merely would like to remove the accumulated loose, surface debris and foreign matter that settled on them during storage. I understand I can safely do this with a soak in pure acetone followed by an acetone rinse and then by carefully patting them dry with an appropriate cloth. Will this harm a coin?

Regarding photos: I can't imaging that the low resolution photos allowed by me to upload to this site would be useful. Correct me if I am wrong, please.

To put these few coins in perspective, they are not remarkable examples. I doubt any would be graded uncirculated or close. At best, there might be a couple key or semi key dates.

Thank you - Bill
Pillar of the Community
United States
8714 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2018  10:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Regarding cleaning; I certainly do not know the process to thoroughly "conserve" a worthy coin but I merely would like to remove the accumulated loose, surface debris and foreign matter that settled on them during storage. I understand I can safely do this with a soak in pure acetone followed by an acetone rinse and then by carefully patting them dry with an appropriate cloth. Will this harm a coin?

No, it will not harm the coin. Make sure you do not rub the cloth over the surfaces, at most pat them dry.

Quote:
Regarding photos: I can't imaging that the low resolution photos allowed by me to upload to this site would be useful. Correct me if I am wrong, please.

Any photos will help.

Quote:
To put these few coins in perspective, they are not remarkable examples. I doubt any would be graded uncirculated or close. At best, there might be a couple key or semi key dates.

If they are just common date circulated Morgans I wouldn't submit them for grading IMO.
Learn More...
United States
29 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2018  4:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Stewillard to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If they are just common date circulated Morgans I wouldn't submit them for grading IMO.

No worries and I will post photos of any I consider for grading.

Thanks again -Bill
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
41498 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2018  4:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You might at least list the dates and mintmarks, that would be helpful.
Valued Member
United States
104 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2018  10:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mavs2583 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sending in a coin for grading is something I'd reserve for a valuable coin to verify authenticity.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12472 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2018  12:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
No worries and I will post photos of any I consider for grading.

If you wanted to do it as a learning experience or they have some sentimental value and you want them graded for protection ICG has a special going on where you could get them done for $10 a coin and they offer free conservation where they think it would be helpful
Learn More...
United States
29 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2018  07:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Stewillard to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
basebal21 wrote: If you wanted to do it as a learning experience or they have some sentimental value and you want them graded for protection ICG has a special going on where you could get them done for $10 a coin and they offer free conservation where they think it would be helpful

Your suggestion might be the most viable option for me. Quickly looking through the coins, most are well circulated but as previously stated, a few look worthy even without removing grime. Is the "conservation" an option with PCGS?

Bill
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.84 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05