Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Genuine/Counterfeit question about 1822 Iturbide Mexico 8 reales

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
17 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2018  9:09 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add FirstFrom to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Right now being auctioned on eBay is a "pollito" 1822 Iturbide 8 reales.
I'm trying to collect the first coin each country issued after it became independent, and this date/denomination is on my list. But I am wary of counterfeits. I would very much appreciate hearing opinions from forum members who have experience with this. Thanks, Eric
P.S. I don't see it in the forum rules, but if this sort of question is not allowed then please ignore it.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
2018 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2018  9:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It would help us if you gave us the link. Or at least the listing number. Just to make sure that we are all singing from the same page of the songbook.
United States
17 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2018  9:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add FirstFrom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, I wasn't sure if that was permitted. Here it is:
eBay item number 192655817225
Pillar of the Community
United States
582 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2018  9:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Albert to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My opinion is this: I often paid for a low cost and poor quality coin just to get one of what I wanted. But then later I regretted not buying a better quality coin even though they cost more.
If the goal is just to obtain any sample of the coin fitting the need, that is one approach, but sometimes these are called "place holders". Maybe one day a much nicer coin will be affordable.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9942 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2018  10:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's the reales deales:

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces15084.html

I would suggest you compare the bust and especially the font of the date...then run like hell!

Altho I really do like that wounded chicken on the fake! That's a really sad one...probably would be so attracted to your "Magnetic personality" that it would jump up off the table to greet you!

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there is a picture with a quote next to it"
Abraham Lincoln
Edited by Crazyb0
09/13/2018 11:06 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1312 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2018  01:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add realeswatcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
^^^^^ NO!:

United States
17 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2018  11:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add FirstFrom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Albert, Crazyb0, and realeswatcher for your advice. I believe I will pass on the coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
582 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2018  11:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Albert to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I didn't realize when I replied that you were asking if it was counterfeit or not. To me it looked like a well worn harshly cleaned and poor example that did not match the seller's claim of grade. Since I know so little about how a worn coin would compare to a counterfeit coin, I only suggested passing on it due to condition. I've bought a good number of coins "twice". First a cheap bargain only later to find nobody would buy it from me, and then purchasing a much better one that I was not ashamed of showing.
United States
17 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2018  12:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add FirstFrom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Albert -- I thought I was seeing hairlines from cleaning. And so your advice was another good reason to pass on the coin. As the saying goes, "the bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.54 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05