Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1957 D wheat Penny die cud on reverse

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
United States
46 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2018  11:57 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Popejoy42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello all,

Die cud on the 3 o'clock position on the reverse and on the B in Liberty on the obverse. ~Popejoy

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12026 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2018  12:04 am  Show Profile   Check Errers and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's damage on the rim, from pushed in metal, do to taking a well placed hit (reverse side). On the obverse, you have a Broken Die Post (Die Chip) on the "B" in "LIBERTY". That's the only error you have here, but it's very common on the 1950's Wheat Cents.
Errers and Varietys
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
31852 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2018  12:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A cud rises above the rim area on the edge of the coin. Cuds are from die part of the edges of dies that breakaway and drop off the die. Like this:

The die cud will usually show as higher on one and and the opposite side will show a weakness of strike:

Note the weakness on the opposite side? That is what a cud will look like. Just not seeing it on your coin. (below ONE on reverse)

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
09/14/2018 12:14 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12026 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2018  12:22 am  Show Profile   Check Errers and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's what a genuine Cud looks like. It's a type Die Break that only involves the rim, and some parts of the fields.

Errers and Varietys
Valued Member
United States
113 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2018  11:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stevieb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I love the photo of the broken die. That's the first one I've seen. Is there a site that covers photos of broken dies?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
31852 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2018  11:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is not a U.S. mint die. But the U.S. mint does sell them after they are defaced. The still have the serial number on them. I have a few more images if you like to see them?

Basket of Die blanks

I have more if you want to see more. But got to deal with something at home. BBS

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
31852 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2018  1:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Proof Hub. (Hubs are positives like coins)

Hub and a die. The hub as the lugs incuse, the dies lugs are raised.

The hubbed die is tapered to remove the lugs and create the exact correct size for the dies specs.

How many times have we thought that they created one die at a time. This is done in major bulk.

Need more?
Richard S. Cooper

Edited by coop
09/14/2018 3:25 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
31852 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2018  1:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A few more then we are out of the die create area:
Hammer and Anvil dies:

Die storage to prevent the dies from getting damaged:

CoopHome :dies and creation of them
Richard S. Cooper

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
28205 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2018  1:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coop - Great explanation as always.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3274 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2018  1:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coop,

This is very refreshing and immensely interesting ( a much needed break away from it is a DD ,DDD,MD, PMD, PSD,PDD, Etc....)

Thank you for providing these awesome images,just by looking at them it becomes so clear how Die cracks and Cuds and other die deficiencies occur.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
31852 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2018  2:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They are die events that happen to the die during its life. Some die chips on coins can last till the end of the line till it retires. So if the chip happened at the LDS level, as many as 500,000 coins could have that same chip or one that keeps breaking out and more and forces the die to retire earlier. That is why I'm not excited about die event coins. The sheer number is too large for them to be worth more than face. Cuds are different for me, it is the end of the line event for that die.

Another thought about this last segment: The first image of the hammer and anvil dies that look different? Couple that with the last image of the frosting? You see a dollar Obverse being created. But note the dies is an anvil die. So they they must be rotated setup on this series with the obverse as the anvil and the reverse as the hammer. Caught that when posting this section.
Richard S. Cooper

Edited by coop
09/14/2018 2:16 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3274 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2018  2:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
So they they must be rotated setup on this series with the obverse as the anvil and the reverse as the hammer.

Excellent observation, I see what you are referring to, very interesting.
So now, after Revs. & Obvs. of the Presidential dollars are struck, they go through a separate edge lettering machine?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
14322 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2018  2:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coop, on the image labeled "Half Dollar dies ready for use". Those are not ready for use, they are ready to be put on the lathe and tapered.
Gary Schmidt
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
31852 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2018  3:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Got it Condor101. Thanks.
Richard S. Cooper

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12026 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2018  3:42 pm  Show Profile   Check Errers and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Is there a site that covers photos of broken dies?

There is. It's called cuds-on-coins.com. Scroll to the bottom, and they'll show you what the dies look like, after the piece broke off. http://cuds-on-coins.com/cuds/

Here's another good thread that I created. It's information about a retired die, that I purchased on eBay last year. http://goccf.com/t/302961
Errers and Varietys
Edited by Errers and Varietys
09/14/2018 3:44 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1706 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2018  6:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Halo1st to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Die cud on the 3 o'clock position on the reverse

From my end, I personally can't tell one way or the other if its a rim cud or not. Is it raised? Is there anything on the design rim or edge suggesting pushed up material from a post strike hit? Close up of both may help. Thanks, Doug.
Second opinions are always recommended. Rookies thoughts!
Backup data often or good luck with the recovery process..... SME advice!
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.97 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05