Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Gold Possibly Islamic Coin With Woman And Hunter (Id: Mughal Half-Mohur From 1605 Ad)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 2,594Next Topic  
Canada
14 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2018  1:51 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add checkup to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Greetings all!
I recently came into the possession of what I believe is a Islamic gold coin that has a bail attached to the top for a necklace. Measures 2 cm in diameter, and weighs roughly 6.2 grams.
attached are images of front and back. I have been able to find other gold coins with a similar dotted edging that appear to be "early" Islamic gold coins. But this really isn't my area of expertise, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

*** Moved by Staff moved to a more appropriate forum. ***
Learn More...
United States
23229 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2018  1:57 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the community

The design appears to be Indian IMO and I don't believe it's a coin or at least one that I've not seen before. I'm going to move this over to the unidentified section perhaps someone there would be able to ID it for you.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2417 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2018  3:46 pm  Show Profile   Check alganbagerap's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add alganbagerap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It depicts human figures so it's unlikely to be Islamic. The figure with the bow is likely to be Lord Rama, but that's all I have.
Learn More...
United States
90260 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
16108 Posts
 Posted 11/10/2018  05:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum.
Learn More...
Australia
13436 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2018  09:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It will surprise many to learn that it is indeed a gold coin, and is indeed "Islamic", despite its polytheistic design. It is a gold half-mohur issued by Mughal emperor Akbar. Check out the examples on this zeno.ru page.

As to the "Muslim ban on graven images on coins", Akbar took a rather unusual liberal attitude to the coinage. He believed putting verses of the Koran on coins which would be handled by non-Muslims was more sacrilegious than putting images on coins. But his use of actual Hindu deities on this particular coin (they are indeed Rama and Sita) went beyond what would normally be deemed appropriate for a Muslim ruler, and this coinage issue was very brief, only for one month in the 50th year of the Ilahi calendar - which occurred in AD 1605, the final year of Akbar's rule.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
United States
1036 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2018  3:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very rare and desirable if genuine. Should be examined in hand by an expert.
Edited by Kushanshah
11/11/2018 3:45 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3752 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2018  7:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Yeah, the emoticon is a bit banal, but there is so much one can learn here on CCF just by reading what experts posts on various threads.

Thanks, @Sap and @Kushanshah.
Edited by tdziemia
11/11/2018 7:57 pm
Canada
14 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2018  1:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add checkup to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you very much for the warm welcome! And thank you Sap and Kushanshah for your help! Time to find an expert!

*Edit* It appears that because I'm new I cannot message/E-mail other members... I was going to message Sap with a big thank you from the information he provided. I was also wondering if he... well anyone that is now would know of an expert that would be able to authenticate or at the very least look at it for me, as it appears that this might be quite valuable from what I've seen. I am located in eastern Ontario Canada and if it would be possible to show someone in person that would be ideal.
Thank you all again!
Edited by checkup
11/12/2018 2:15 pm
Learn More...
United States
17181 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2018  6:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How about Stephen Album? They won't slab it, but you might get an opinion as to the authenticity.

Added: Welcome to CCF!
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Edited by Spence
11/13/2018 6:57 pm
Pillar of the Community
Australia
731 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2018  7:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nealeffendi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Stephen Album is very good but not infallible (I have a zeri mahbub in his flip described as Misr mint(Cairo/Egypt) but it is an ultimate rarity from Islambol mint).
Do the TPGs even slab coins with jewelry loops such as the OPs half mohur?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3655 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2018  07:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@checkup, we have a local expert in the Ottawa area, who at the very least can provide some intelligent advice. He goes to our monthly club meetings most the time, and sometimes to our local monthly coin show. If you want, as a start, I can reference this thread and ask him.

But you will need to provide a weight and diameter of the coin.
Canada
14 Posts
 Posted 04/30/2019  9:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add checkup to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry to bring up a near dead post but thank you for all the input as well as the offer oriole, going forward with this piece I will be having it checked out by one of the major grading companies to see about having it authenticated. cheers!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1036 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2020  04:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Update: as it turns out, this coin proved genuine and sold recently at auction in Ottawa for C$504,000 (including buyer's premium)!
https://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappen...X_7FLfZhzXzA
https://ottawacitizen.com/news/loca...arm-bracelet
Edited by Kushanshah
01/18/2020 04:43 am
Learn More...
United States
17181 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2020  06:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow amazing--thx for providing closure on this one @kushashah.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 2,594Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.69 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05