Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

American Silver Eagles From West Point Without Mint Marks?

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
United States
53 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2018  12:34 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add D-Train to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi guys,
I've seen some American Silver Eagles that are NGC certified as being minted at West Point but these "coins" have NO mint mark on them, so how do they know they were minted at West Point?
Here's one example:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/s/302945168969
I also bought a 2016-W ASE, also NGC certified, that has no mint mark. Can someone explain how you can tell an ASE with no mint mark is from West Point?
Thanks!

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9714 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2018  02:56 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To be clear, this concerns bullion ASEs with no mintmatk inherently. The Mint of origin can be determined if they are found/submitted in an original Mint box. This is what I found after a brief Google search:

http://blog.bgasc.com/american-silv...ns-revealed/
Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum.
-Lucretius

"Just because you're paranoid don't mean they're not after you."
-Kurdt Kobain

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4639 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2018  11:54 am  Show Profile   Check Foxwoods Man's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Foxwoods Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Correct. These are TOTALLY a TPG created thing...the coins are routine bullion ASE's and the only way you can tell where a single ASE is from is by reading the label in the slab.

Not for me at all.....
Edited by Foxwoods Man
11/12/2018 11:57 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16822 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2018  12:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not worth spending a premium over bullion ASE value for.
Valued Member
United States
53 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2018  12:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add D-Train to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the info guys. I didn't pay any more for a slabbed West Point ASE than I have for a slabbed ASE from other mints, I was just curious how you can be sure a no mint mark ASE is from any particular mint. I'll be sure going forward to not buy uncertified ASE's that are supposedly from a given mint if there is no mint mark. Thanks again for your expertise!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1492 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2018  12:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm remembering this thread from last year, where PCGS was going to start attributing ASEs to a specific mint based on the number on the package. Then wasn't there some misunderstanding over those numbers so even they turned out to be unreliable?
Working on: Peace dollars (two to go), US type (early Bust era), Indian quarter eagles, Chinese pandas, and San Francisco tokens.

"Fear is the enemy of will. Will is what makes you take action; fear is what stops you, and makes you weak."
-- Sinestro to (my avatar) Hal Jordan, "Green Lantern" (2011)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4639 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2018  2:55 pm  Show Profile   Check Foxwoods Man's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Foxwoods Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
(1) I didn't pay any more for a slabbed West Point ASE than I have for a slabbed ASE from other mints, I was just curious how you can be sure a no mint mark ASE is from any particular mint.

(2)I'll be sure going forward to not buy uncertified ASE's that are supposedly from a given mint if there is no mint mark.

1) Correct...the last 2018 straight bullion NGC MS69 sold for a few bucks MORE than you paid so yours is actually a decent deal if you are into graded bullion

2) I think you mean "won't buy certified"..if they are uncertified bullion then there is no way to tell where they are from anyway
Edited by Foxwoods Man
11/12/2018 2:56 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11982 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2018  3:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
These are TOTALLY a TPG created thing

They didn't create anything, they're just labeling them for what they are.

Quote:
I'm remembering this thread from last year, where PCGS was going to start attributing ASEs to a specific mint based on the number on the package. Then wasn't there some misunderstanding over those numbers so even they turned out to be unreliable?

It was the Philly ASEs that were in question. The mint made an announcement that they had this big announcement coming about them, then when they made the announcement all it did was confirm what we already knew and what was already released in the FOIA report.

It really just appeared like the mint was upset at the premiums the P ones were carrying and attempted to destroy the market which didn't work.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4639 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2018  08:51 am  Show Profile   Check Foxwoods Man's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Foxwoods Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
They didn't create anything, they're just labeling them for what they are.

Ummm...have to disagree. Like Early Release and First Strike it was created by the TPG's as a way to increase profits. They got bored with just grading coins and decided to spice things up a bit....and it is limited to those with enough cash to submit a whole green monster box (or two) of 500 ASE's for grading.

Add to this the fact that it is VERY confusing to novice collectors of the series why a 2018-W ASE is different from a 2018-(W) ASE...TOTALLY different beast

A MS70 bullion ASE is a MS70 bullion ASE. Having a label that says where it came from does not make it any different. (same applies to ER and FS coins...all TPG created designations)

Edited by Foxwoods Man
11/13/2018 08:52 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
953 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2018  10:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with Foxwoods Man on this one

I wonder how long it will be before the TPGs start labeling other Philadelphia struck coins without the P mintmark as (P)

That way the label collectors could have another label to collect, one without any production designation and one with a (P) designation. Seems like a win-win to me. TPGs are happy to charge more and the label collectors are happy with yet another ridiculous label
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16822 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2018  11:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with Foxwoods Man on this one also.
Valued Member
United States
53 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2018  11:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add D-Train to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"Add to this the fact that it is VERY confusing to novice collectors of the series why a 2018-W ASE is different from a 2018-(W) ASE...TOTALLY different beast"

Ummm, what!?!? Please explain to this novice the difference between a 2018-W and a 2018-(W)

I'm guessing that the one without the parentheses has the W mintmark and the one in parentheses does NOT have the mint mark?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1492 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2018  11:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't collect these and I'm sure someone will expand on this and correct me if I'm wrong but see this page https://www.coincommunity.com/us_silver_eagles/ and some related discussion here: http://goccf.com/t/295530

ASEs without a mint mark are mass-produced bullion; those with a mint mark were produced with burnished dies and are sold to collectors as "uncirculated". The mintage figures on that page show that there are about 100x more bullion pieces than uncirculated.
Working on: Peace dollars (two to go), US type (early Bust era), Indian quarter eagles, Chinese pandas, and San Francisco tokens.

"Fear is the enemy of will. Will is what makes you take action; fear is what stops you, and makes you weak."
-- Sinestro to (my avatar) Hal Jordan, "Green Lantern" (2011)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4639 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2018  1:19 pm  Show Profile   Check Foxwoods Man's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Foxwoods Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Ummm, what!?!? Please explain to this novice the difference between a 2018-W and a 2018-(W)

I'm guessing that the one without the parentheses has the W mintmark and the one in parentheses does NOT have the mint mark?

Correct...different coins. One is bullion (no mintmark) with mintages sometimes exceeding 45 MILLION (comes in green "monster" boxes of 25 rolls of 20 coins each) and the other is a burnished collector version WITH a W mintmark with mintages between around 300 THOUSAND. Shipped singularly in a Mint presentation box with COA

FOr instance the 2015 bullion had 47 million minted and the 2015 W had just under 224 thousand
Edited by Foxwoods Man
11/14/2018 1:21 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2816 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2018  2:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add morgans dad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Words can and are Always taken out of context. The TPG'S totally created this concept, just like First strikes, FDOI, ETC, Its called income.............PS, Things must be drying up at the TPG's...........
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11982 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2018  6:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All the TPGs are doing is labeling the coin for exactly what it is. The (W) are ASEs struck at West Point, the (S) are struck at SF, the (P) at Philly. They are literally just labeling them for what they are. You don't have to believe they should have a premium or want to collect all of them but bashing the TPGs for being accurate and calling something exactly what it is is just silly. The Mints are the ones making the different versions not the TPGs
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.87 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05