Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Poll: Do You Keep Or Spend 1982 And Before Copper Cents?

Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3350 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2018  1:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KenKat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I keep them, roll them up in rolls and stash them in a box in the basement. They are 36 to nearly 50 years old at this point. I know they made a bunch but somebody's got to save a few.

I've even got my wife trained now so that she can spot the coppers 95% of the time without even looking at the date based on strike, the rims and overall look. She's not a collector but she's stuck married to one and this is her fate.
Edited by KenKat
11/19/2018 8:13 pm
Valued Member
United States
203 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2018  7:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gmwatson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well it looks like I made it a 50-50 split with my response of 'keeping' them. To be honest, I'm not sure why I do but most probably has something to do with the hoarder in me. I have multiple bank bags full of them.
Valued Member
United States
397 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2018  7:19 pm  Show Profile   Check yellow88's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add yellow88 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hoard the copper. It's the "poor man's" gold!
"Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless."
- Merovingian#65279;

eBay store: https://www.ebay.com/str/globalcoin...collectibles
eBay ID: https://www.ebay.com/usr/sellingsecretslegit
Pillar of the Community
United States
7528 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2018  8:12 pm  Show Profile   Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a five gallon bucket plus another a quarter full. I put the hoarders in the lead.
Oregon coin geek.....*** GO BEAVS ! ! ! ***
Pillar of the Community
United States
695 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2018  12:30 pm  Show Profile   Check HoboNickelCarver's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add HoboNickelCarver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The poll is showing that the individuals who keep copper cents are pulling ahead with 55%.
Valued Member
United States
104 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2018  12:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jardins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I used to keep them and now have a little over 400 pounds. Not sure what I'm going to do with them, annoy the bank by bring them all in or keep them in storage until they're worth something. Either way, I'm not sure if it was a good idea to keep them or not.
Valued Member
United States
483 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2018  07:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add everything to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I keep way to many of these, I will sort boxes and even track them. Here in the midwest I average 27-30% pre 1982 brass per $25 box with 8-12 wheats on average. My eyes are getting bad so I can't see them to well but I did find a 1960 D/D which is a top 100 RPM.
After a few years you start to wonder, what am I doing.. It's pretty likely I'll convert them into AU/AG and give up the sport eventually.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18430 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2018  07:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I keep all 1982 Cents. Don't know why but I do.
just carl
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11432 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2018  07:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I totally understand , I think most newbies save them too .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3350 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2018  10:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KenKat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
United States
271 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2018  11:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chadwick to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've got a bag of copper cents that is so heavy that I can barely even move it anymore. I'm seriously wondering why I have been keeping these and sorting my cents. I never gave it much thought until I recently moved and realized that this sack of cents isn't really worth a great deal while being inconvenient.

Now, what to do with it?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12735 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2018  11:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As one of the folks who doesn't hoard copper, I have one two words for you: Coin Star.
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
2181 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2018  1:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I keep 'em...but have been finding less and less...used to go through rolls...I have a 5 gallen "Homer" Home Depot bucket full, plus a small sparkle bucket...I still test all the 1983s.

KK
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3748 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2018  04:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not worth hoarding, there will be a melt ban for who knows how long.
If I want scrap copper, there's a lot of it out there in other forms, and for free.
When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors...
Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since '72
Pillar of the Community
United States
4205 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2018  12:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Debrajc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I spend them. Never even look at the dates.
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.97 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05