Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

C. 1692 Coin - Is This From Bohemia?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 1,460Next Topic  

United States
3 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2018  12:58 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add cld1927 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I think this coin may be from the region of Bohemia based on the two-tailed lion emblem. I have looked through sites showing coins from the Kingdom of Bohemia as well as various independent states, cities and bishoprics, as well as some states of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. There are quite a few coins with a version of this emblem, but I haven't found this one. It's about 17-18mm in diameter and the date is probably 1692 - the 169 is pretty clear but the fourth digit is a little obscure. I can't tell if it is the remains of an inscription around the lion. I think it is just decorative beading on the side with the crown. There appears to be lettering which may be L.L. - or L.E. -. The third character might be A, H or II. Does anyone know what this is? Groschen? Kreuzer?

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3465 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2018  6:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some of the small principalities in SIlesia (Breslau, Glatz) also used this lion, though I haven't found anything that late in their history.

Will keep looking... and

Edited by tdziemia
12/01/2018 9:57 pm
Learn More...
United States
87429 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
968 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2018  02:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Albert to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It might be Bohemia half kreuzer like km490 or km560 or km602. Varieties exist and they were also assigned previous catalog numbers.
Edited by Albert
12/02/2018 02:39 am
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2018  09:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cld1927 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the replies. The (mostly obliterated) side does appear to have a '2' near the bottom of the design which might be the lower portion of 1/2. There doesn't seem to be much room for the upper half but it could be up and to the left.
Pillar of the Community
United States
968 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2018  2:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Albert to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My idea of what it could be has been impaired because it's been very difficult to find some good picture examples.
Similar to Austrian Mints as 2 pfennig km1115, km1425
Edited by Albert
12/02/2018 3:17 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3465 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2018  3:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It might be Bohemia half kreuzer like km490 or km560 or km602.

Looking at the Numista entry for KM490, it is not too hard to imagine a different date placement, and if you see some initials starting with L, this also fits pretty well.
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2018  4:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cld1927 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The KM490 is similar except the listing I see for it says it is uniface. Though very worn, this definitely has a design on both sides. I don't know very much about the coins or this region - is it common to modify the design from year to year with changes to the location of the date or whether or not there is a design on both sides? There is most certainly an 'L' on it - as for the other possible lettering, it's just my best guess. I can't make it out with any certainty.
Valued Member
United States
152 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2018  12:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bjherbison to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, lower denomination European coins from that era often have significant variation from year to year. And remember that the KM numbers are created by the cataloger, not a guide to production of the coins--many design changes were missed in the cataloging.

(For an example, Brandenburg-Bayreuth KM# 247 is four distinct types with significant design differences if you look in catalogs from Germany.)
Pillar of the Community
United States
968 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2018  12:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Albert to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Someone told me years ago that Krause does well on the large coins like Thalers, but poorly on "minors" or the smaller coins.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 1,460Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.58 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05