Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1911 Gold $5 Indian Maybe Fake

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
22 Posts
 Posted 12/17/2018  06:51 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Darkhorse1355 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello forum, I make a good percentage of my income buying under priced PMs off of sites like letgo and find to good to be true deals daily. A seller recently posted this 1911 Gold Indian and I wanted to see what you guys thought. Please don't lecture me about buying things to good to be true as I said I do it daily. I actually think this one has a chance of being legit and the site offers a 3 day money back gaurentee. What do you guys think? Thanks in advance, P.S. I'm really having trouble using the image optimizer from my phone.

*** Edited by Staff to remove YELLING. All capital letters is the internet version of yelling. Please do not do it in titles or posts. ***
Learn More...
United States
23198 Posts
 Posted 12/17/2018  09:15 am  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My opinion based on the images: Fake, a very bad fake.

This specific coin is in the list of the most counterfeited US coins.

Do a little research and you will draw the same conclusion as I did.

nss-52
counterfeit forums moderator
United States
22 Posts
 Posted 12/17/2018  09:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Darkhorse1355 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That was my gut, that's why I didn't pull the trigger. Thankyou for helping me out
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42897 Posts
 Posted 12/17/2018  10:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
nss - Can you be more specific about what you see in these images?

Darkhorse -

to the CCF!
Edited by Coinfrog
12/17/2018 10:34 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1856 Posts
 Posted 12/17/2018  10:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ratman4762 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I saw one on Ebay very early this morning with an opening bid of $20 & $150.00 BIN. This one is very similar. Seller had a feedback score of 1. I passed....
Pillar of the Community
United States
861 Posts
 Posted 12/17/2018  11:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jon Brand to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Doesn't look right. The date especially
View Collection: jbknifeandcoin.com
United States
22 Posts
 Posted 12/17/2018  11:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Darkhorse1355 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thatnks Coinfrog, ok I did some more digging... this seller also has an 1870-s $3 "gold coin" listed on another site. He also had these two listed on another site, again same seller so forgive the images they are not my own. I just figured I'd see what you guys thought and let you all know to be on the lookout...

United States
22 Posts
 Posted 12/17/2018  11:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Darkhorse1355 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't mind taking a shot every now and a then. It's kind of how I subsidize my income. Some of my best finds have been in "grandpas old coins" listings on offerup or craigslist so I'm always scanning and looking but these just set off an alarm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18473 Posts
 Posted 12/17/2018  11:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lots of red flags on these. All the details are mushy and the surfaces look flawless.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42897 Posts
 Posted 12/17/2018  11:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Got it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4533 Posts
 Posted 12/17/2018  12:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with being a bad fake
Pillar of the Community
United States
2435 Posts
 Posted 12/17/2018  6:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Really hard to tell if the coin is genuine or fake from photos provided, but details appear to be off as noted mushy.
Pillar of the Community
United States
947 Posts
 Posted 12/17/2018  6:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add llewellin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can't tell the details from the photos but the color really looks off and I wouldn't touch for that reason alone
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42897 Posts
 Posted 12/17/2018  6:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm no gold expert, but as IGE pointed out simply, the surfaces are just too clean for a gold coin. It wasn't immediately apparent to me.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2005 Posts
 Posted 12/17/2018  7:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's the sandbast granularity of the surface that bothers me. The coin doesn't have the appearance of being struck.
"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16016 Posts
 Posted 12/19/2018  03:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Thatnks Coinfrog, ok I did some more digging... this seller also has an 1870-s $3 "gold coin" listed on another site.

Well that's a really bad sign right there.
Gary Schmidt
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.81 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05